What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done anything soapy lately :confused: My son is at hockey camp, and I am here with him without any soaping stuff. I really considered bringing it, as we are renting an apartment, but I couldn't deal with all the other stuff we had to bring plus all the soap stuff so I decided not to.

Welcome to the linoleic rabbit hole! 😜
While olive oil is a moderate source of linoleic acid itself, laurel oil has a truly unique profile that adds appreciable (but manageable) amounts of linoleic acid – but also lauric acid, that counteracts the soft/mushy nature of high oleic/linoleic acids, and boosts lather.
I'd likely use laurel oil a lot if I could stand its smell (or there were a desodorised variant somewhere to get out there).

This whole soaping journey is a rabbit hole 🃏
Yes, it's so stinky! The Earth Meets Sky & Spearmint EO blend is smelling much better so I'm hopeful it will work out.
Thank you for including the thread link - interesting read. I am curious to see if my Aleppo develops DOS with both high oleic and linoleic percentages.

I’m on a road trip for two weeks with a single goal of hugging some of the dear ones I missed during pandemic isolation. I prepared for the trip by ordering a new customcrafttools acrylic slab (5”x7”x3”) soap mold with a clear liner. Why has it taken soooo long for someone to make a little slab mold that makes 2.5” x 3.5” bars!?!?

I made a layered soap tonight. The top layer is an itp swirl. I might have done the swirl a little early, so i am predicting that it might be a little mottled. I hope not, but wont see till the cut.

Impatiently waiting for it to set up a bit for a fingers crossed pretty top lol.

Made lavender, orange, patchouli yesterday ((60 bars) and will cut it and put it on the rack to cure today. I have some salves to finish up as well as some wax melts (air fresheners). Recently bought loaf molds from Essential Depot. They are the red silicon ones with the wire “cages”. I absolutely love them! My soaps pop out so easily and the “cages” can be stacked -nice for saponifying! The soap is a pain to make as, once I add the orange and patchouli, it hardens up very quickly. So-I divide the mix 2/3-1/3 and do 2/3 lavender EO and color) and then 1/3 is colored orange and carries the orange and Patchouli. Pour the lavender, hold my breath then pour the orange-then swirl. Whew! It comes out well though. Every time I make it, I am filled with trepidation however. 🤪

32 bars of soap shrink wrapped early Tuesday morning & none the rest of that day because we had a fence installed, & they were late to arrive so it took a lot longer than expected. Plus some sweaty yard work made for a tiring day.

37 bars of soap shrink wrapped on Wednesday. I thought I was close to done with this project, but realized that I had moved some trays to the other side of the room while sorting through which ones to shrink wrap, so No, I was not as close to done as I'd like. It looks like I could be at it for another 2 or 3 days, depending on my hand, motivation level & other necessary activities, as well as Hubby being off work because sometimes he needs

So this morning I went through to make sure I have all the soaps that need to be packaged together near the shrink wrap set up & I'll get to work on that shortly. Hubby is gone to Chicago for the day, but I have a dog training session & an OT appointment on my agenda as well. Still, I can easily fit at least 5 mini shrink wrap sessions into my day.

I did get a tray of 5 individual bars of confetti soap into the oven for CPOP. They sat out overnight moistening sufficiently with added water, in hopes there will be no air pockets and they look pretty well solid this morning, so I hope that will be the case. I wouldn't have bothered, but the Fragrance is so fabulous, I had to use those scraps to make soap.

Yes, it's so stinky! The Earth Meets Sky & Spearmint EO blend is smelling much better so I'm hopeful it will work out.
Let's hope so! On the other hand, there are quite some people out there who love the smell of Aleppo soap/laurel oil, and I suspect that the natural variations of the smell (just like the colour) are much larger than with most other ingredients. That comes atop of my reluctance to give it a try.

Finally finished putting this thing together! After a couple tries I got the drawers moving smoothly. Now just need to maybe add cloth to extent to keep dust and stuff out. I’m pretty happy with it. I’m going to make a couple more shelves too I think. I really like the T&S soap bars and they fit well in the drying racks as do my 3” rounds. So I think 2 more racks will be plenty.
I can now reclaim my desk, table and linen closet…
EDD3C509-E7CF-46B9-B180-9D6802B0AF1F.jpeg

Finally finished putting this thing together! After a couple tries I got the drawers moving smoothly. Now just need to maybe add cloth to extent to keep dust and stuff out. I’m pretty happy with it. I’m going to make a couple more shelves too I think. I really like the T&S soap bars and they fit well in the drying racks as do my 3” rounds. So I think 2 more racks will be plenty.
View attachment 59358
That's amazing! I'm low-key jealous now. :)

Here are my soaps from the last couple days.

A basic slab swirl scented with Grapefruit and Bergamot from NS:
IMG_20210715_141933731.jpg

And I think I'll call this one "Arctic Sea Storm" or something like that. Completely not what I hoped for, but pretty cool still. Scented with Rosemary Mint from NS:
IMG_20210715_141826856~2.jpg

Can I post pictures in the photo gallery? Are there any guidelines as to using the photo gallery?

Last edited:
Here are my soaps from the last couple days.

A basic slab swirl scented with Grapefruit and Bergamot from NS:
View attachment 59359

And I think I'll call this one "Arctic Sea Storm" or something like that. Completely not what I hoped for, but pretty cool still. Scented with Rosemary Mint from NS:
View attachment 59360

Can I post pictures in the photo gallery? Are there any guidelines as to using the photo gallery?
Yes post to gallery! That's a better place for people to see them.
@violets2217 - shipping costs to NZ?? :D

That's amazing! I'm low-key jealous now. :)
No need to be jealous… I had no idea what I was doing and ended up taking it apart twice to get it to work right. Plus I’m sore and have scrapes and bruises I’ve no idea where the came from! So if I can do it and am still alive with all my fingers still attached, then so can you!
@violets2217 - shipping costs to NZ?? :D
I’ve no idea… you tell me! I’d have to send it in piece and it would take me forever…I’ve been planning and working on mine for a while! Let’s see how it holds up, it just may end up in a pile on my sunroom floor! 🤪😜

I have been completely out of tallow for a few days, and haven't been able to find any, but today I stopped by a grocery store and they'd just finished trimming some briskets. They wrapped up about 8lbs of fat for me and I looked at the tag and it was $1.27. Not per pound, total. I must have looked surprised, because the butcher told me that when the "boss" was around, they charge $1.27 per pound for it, but since he wasn't, and they were just going to throw it away anyhow... whoo hoo- my favorite soaping oil- nearly free!

I am really annoyed with myself for not waiting to unmold. I really never have much of a hard time popping it out of the mold. It was being stubborn…i left it sit for about an hour more after loosening the sides, but i have to go to bed soon, so i forced the loaf out. The edges all stuck to the mold while the rest popped out.

its gonna need some cleaning up.

I am always able to unmold at 24 hours or even earlier. I guess it was just too humid out. I dunno. Its too soft to cut for sure.

I ran out of lye as well, so i guess no more soapy stuff till i get my order in. Which is another annoying thing…I thought i had another container of lye in the cabinet.

I will be ok lol.

I am really annoyed with myself for not waiting to unmold. I really never have much of a hard time popping it out of the mold. It was being stubborn…i left it sit for about an hour more after loosening the sides, but i have to go to bed soon, so i forced the loaf out. The edges all stuck to the mold while the rest popped out.

its gonna need some cleaning up.

I am always able to unmold at 24 hours or even earlier. I guess it was just too humid out. I dunno. Its too soft to cut for sure.

I ran out of lye as well, so i guess no more soapy stuff till i get my order in. Which is another annoying thing…I thought i had another container of lye in the cabinet.

I will be ok lol.
It's alright everybody - she said she's gonna be OK. No need to call 911, or 111, or 999 wherever you're from...

View attachment 59358
Fabulous! Did you make it from scratch? A kit? Written plans you bought somewhere? Copied from a picture you saw? I've seen pictures, but have not see plans or kits for sale, so am really curious. Oh, and if you built it from scratch, how costly were the materials?

Back