What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So nice! San Jose Shark fans would be all over those. 🦈
Hah! One of my favorite micas of all time.

Gore-juss! Excellent job. Interesting color combo that I would not have thought of-- but it is perfect! I want deets. How did you do the turquoise/black layer?!
I let the bottom layer fully set up. And I mean FULLY. You don't want either the black or turquoise to break through. I didn't want a super straight line, so I did the teeny tiniest texturing of the top. Then poured a thin layer of black (thin trace) batter then the turquoise as if I were doing a drop swirl (medium trace). I hoped the black wouldn't completely disperse once I poured the turquoise...and it didn't! There's the slightest thin layer of black in addition to some wispy swirls.

Last edited:
I let the bottom layer fully set up. And I mean FULLY. You don't want either the black or turquoise to break through. I didn't want a super straight line, so I did the teeny toniest texturing of the top. Then poured a thin layer of black (thin trace) batter then the turquoise as if I were doing a drop swirl (medium trace). I hoped the black wouldn't completely disperse once I poured the turquoise...and it didn't! There's the slightest thin layer of black in addition to some wispy swirls.
Those wispy swirls are terrific!

After yesterday's shrink wrapping sessions (off & on throughout the day) for a total of 37 bars, I continued along those lines again today. I also found that my hand feels better for a little while after an epsom salts soak, so that's a good time to use the impulse sealer. 38 more bars shrinked wrapped today (well, yesterday since it is now past midnight).

Not a lot more done today, as I was tired out, less energy. Tomorrow (today, but not until after I get some sleep) has a lot of agenda, away from home, so I may not get much done at home, soaping or otherwise.

@earlene I can't shrink wrap 37 bars in a day with two good hands, I don't know how you do it lol. I do a few then its...this heat gun is heavy. My arms are tired. I need a break.

Maybe it's because for me, it's the worst thing to do...which is why I have so many unwrapped soaps ready to sell but not shrink wrapped. I don't mind stuffing them into bags, and I find sealing with the impulse sealer oddly relaxing LOL. But the shrink wrapping often makes me try to rethink my packaging. I really hate it.

I recently had a large-for-me order of 32 soaps that I had to get wrapped and labeled in one day. I was on the phone and I was like "I will call you back later, I am going to be at this all day". I literally had it done in about an hour. It was marathon shrink wrapping. I guess it's a mental thing for me. I just hate it that much.

I was gonna make soap tonight, but I guess since it is on my mind, I should get to it so that I can start on another project for the weekend: I want to paint the room white (which is currently gray like the rest of my house...its a small room and the gray makes it really dark in there), and start making it a work room. I have so many soaps to clean up and wrap to get out of there so I can start making my soapy room. I want my kitchen back LOL.

Ugh...earlene just made my mind up for what I need to do tonight lol.

@earlene I can't shrink wrap 37 bars in a day with two good hands, I don't know how you do it lol. I do a few then its...this heat gun is heavy. My arms are tired. I need a break.

Maybe it's because for me, it's the worst thing to do...which is why I have so many unwrapped soaps ready to sell but not shrink wrapped. I don't mind stuffing them into bags, and I find sealing with the impulse sealer oddly relaxing LOL. But the shrink wrapping often makes me try to rethink my packaging. I really hate it.

I recently had a large-for-me order of 32 soaps that I had to get wrapped and labeled in one day. I was on the phone and I was like "I will call you back later, I am going to be at this all day". I literally had it done in about an hour. It was marathon shrink wrapping. I guess it's a mental thing for me. I just hate it that much.

I was gonna make soap tonight, but I guess since it is on my mind, I should get to it so that I can start on another project for the weekend: I want to paint the room white (which is currently gray like the rest of my house...its a small room and the gray makes it really dark in there), and start making it a work room. I have so many soaps to clean up and wrap to get out of there so I can start making my soapy room. I want my kitchen back LOL.

Ugh...earlene just made my mind up for what I need to do tonight lol.
My heat gun has a stand, so I don't have to lift it, but once, when I place it on the table. I turn the gun on to the desired setting, then hold the shrink-wrapped soap above the gun, passing it over the hot air to do the shrinking, turning the soap as needed. It's actually good therapy for my recovering thumb (3 months post-op) and I am happy that I can still manage holding a bar of soap to complete this task.

Currently the hardest part for me is pressing down on the impulse sealer because my right hand is swollen, so it causes some discomfort. I always set this up to work right-handed, but the last couple of days, I am using both hands to press the sealer down to my 10-15 second count while it seals the plastic film.

Good luck with your re-painted work room. I am sure the new white painted walls will give you incentive to complete the organization of your soapy room. Sounds like a fun project.

Last edited:
I trimmed these two bars that I made yesterday. Eucalyptus mint and orange clove. The orange one is colored with paprika and has a swirl of honey that hasn't appeared yet. They smell wonderful.
PXL_20210709_135435026.jpg

Being in bath bomb land is kinda soapy! Testing means I take a lot of baths. Although I do have a bunch of soaps that need packaging and posting to my website. But these rainbow shooting clouds I’ve been obsessed with are starting to happen! Aaaaaaand they CRACKLE!

Attachments

• 5E039A85-163C-4AD6-B120-1D91810077A9.png
    5E039A85-163C-4AD6-B120-1D91810077A9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 002B8C90-988B-4AE8-B3CA-8512F3DAD165.png
    002B8C90-988B-4AE8-B3CA-8512F3DAD165.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
I was this old when I learned... Calendula is Marigolds! I've been researching the bennifits of Calendula and how to use it.... how did this not come up? Plus it is part of the Daisy family... 😁
Calendula is a beautiful plant, I use for helping problem skin. I infuse it in olive oil for soap and in sunflower oil for lotions, balms and ointments... and gentle enough for baby bums .

After dinner I shrink-wrapped only 8 bars of soap; I don't think I'll be doing anymore tonight as I am exhausted.

Today was mostly dedicated to my son's house. I had a handyman come out and do a couple of things over there and then something at our house that required climbing a ladder higher than Hubby likes to climb. Hubby & I were over there for about 5 hours each; he mowed & we both did work to prepare for the electronic fence (lopping branches, cutting back shrubbery & overgrown bushes & weeds). I also helped son hang the new drapes he bought for the living room.

Plus I had my Occupational Therapy session and it looks like only 2 more visits & I'll be discharged from OT. As expected, but still I feel like I am losing something knowing it is coming to an end.

I'd like to do more soapy stuff, but my mind and body just can't manage anything much at this point.

ETA: I forgot. Early this morning, I did place an order with Lotioncrafter. I needed more ROE, so filled my cart with enough sale items that I wanted to try out to stay within the $8.20 shipping price & I'm on my way to a new bottle of ROE.

Last edited:
Cut last nights beach soap made with Abalone and Sea, and pumice in the “sand”
Oh my. Used Karma from Flaming Candle, special request from a friend. Totally get why she asked for this FO (which is a Lush dupe). Lovely patchouli scent. May need to make a body butter out of it because it’s that good.

@Catscankim and @The_Phoenix - Your soaps are perfection both in colors and design. I'm jelly!!!

LMAO! Now I'm skerred about you in Houston! Be careful out there, soapy friend!! Thanks for clarifying the fir needle EO. I have pine but used it only once because it's too pinesol-y. I much prefer fir needle. I love love love your description of this wall -- it may be worth a special trip. And this blend is on my bucket list.

This is stunning and I cannot wait for the cut!!!!!!!!!!! This has long been on my bucket list and I'm pushing it up.
Thank you for sharing this fabulous video! The mica adds that zip, kinda like resin veins. I’ve been juggling ideas for leather saddle soap for some horse women friends here in cowboy country Florida. I’m gonna have to try this out. Gonna use leather FO & not sure if that will color the soap like yours did. What a way to use the FO fopahs! May have to add some brown dye? Coffee or clay.

I did another Circling Taiwan swirl yesterday. I poured at a slightly thicker trace than expected, so the swirls aren't quite what I hoped. It's scented with 8th and ocean from NS. I used the blue and green for ocean colors, and the orange and yellow reminds me of sunsets over the ocean.
IMG_20210710_100402103~2.jpg

LMAO! Now I'm skerred about you in Houston! Be careful out there, soapy friend!! Thanks for clarifying the fir needle EO. I have pine but used it only once because it's too pinesol-y. I much prefer fir needle. I love love love your description of this wall -- it may be worth a special trip. And this blend is on my bucket list.

This is stunning and I cannot wait for the cut!!!!!!!!!!! This has long been on my bucket list and I'm pushing it up.
Sorry I replied to your post by mistake. I tried & can’t reply to Tara’s woodsoap because she has a line symbol between 1st & last initial on her site name. I’m on my phone that has no line symbol.

Sorry I replied to your post by mistake. I tried & can’t reply to Tara’s woodsoap because she has a line symbol between 1st & last initial on her site name. I’m on my phone that has no line symbol.
Usually if you type the @ symbol and the first few letters of the person's SMF name, it will pop up a list of names from which to choose. Just tap the one you want, and it will automatically be entered.

I'm wishing I could find a pre made divider for my little mold. I love the Circling Taiwan swirl, but hate making my cereal box dividers.
Custom Craft Tools will do custom orders, and I know they make dividers for their molds. They could probably do something for you. I will tell you though, their products are excellent but you need to be prepared to wait patiently. It's about 2 months from the time you order until you receive your item(s). Dividers

Back