What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went antique browsing after breakfast this morning. And look what I found! The tag said “trinket dish” but doesn’t it look like an Art Deco soap dish??
F9F94455-1E56-4DDB-96C3-FD51F35B951E.jpeg
6E595566-6081-4D00-B34D-09EFB89C41D3.jpeg
BB891468-662A-4512-B910-0EA9D0311A60.jpeg
595A5890-732C-4BC3-ACB9-239E15416879.jpeg
7F789900-F740-45F3-997D-335A86995D4C.jpeg

I will tell you what I told him: it’s nasty stuff. You need to get rid of it right away before someone gets hurt. Just send it to me and I’ll dispose of it safely for you - only because we are friends. 🤓

Seriously, MFS oil is ah-may-zing in any kind of lotion or lotion bar. Soft, easily absorbed, doesn’t leave a greasy after-feel.
I recently bought "Meadowfoam & It's so nice In Body Lotion...

I love stuff like that! It definitely looks like it could be used as a soap dish.
I’m considering making a silicone mold from it and making resin soap dishes to sell. I just think these are so stunning. But my average bar of soap is big. I played around with putting soap on it and it sits awkwardly.

I’m going to make one for my sister. And she can be my guinea pig.

I’m considering making a silicone mold from it and making resin soap dishes to sell. I just think these are so stunning. But my average bar of soap is big. I played around with putting soap on it and it sits awkwardly.
Once you make the mold, could you carve away some of the silicone to enlarge the area for the soap to sit? Or would that completely ruin the design? Also, would a T&S bar fit better inside?

Once you make the mold, could you carve away some of the silicone to enlarge the area for the soap to sit? Or would that completely ruin the design? Also, would a T&S bar fit better inside?
I would definitely need to make changes to the dish part. I have a silicone mold to make a normal soap dish. I want to try and figure out how to incorporate the two. I’d likely need to make two molds, then combine the two, make a model of the two, adhere the two to make one casting, then a final silicone mold.

I would definitely need to make changes to the dish part. I have a silicone mold to make a normal soap dish. I want to try and figure out how to incorporate the two. I’d likely need to make two molds, then combine the two, make a model of the two, adhere the two to make one casting, then a final silicone mold.
Very ambitious - can't wait to see what you create!

You could always... convert it to a 3d model, scale it up, and reprint at a better size! ;)
In theory you can use a phone camera and free software to create a model from photos...

Just cut this soap today and it’s got a bit of a swirl going on, although I’m not sure why. It’s one of the recipes I use all the time: olive oil (pomace), coconut oil, shea butter and cocoa butter. No colorants, scented with sandalwood, cedarwood and bergamot EOs. Anyone know why it would have that design in there? It almost looks like a ghost swirl, but it was all one batch.

Attachments

• 529811F0-A27A-4963-A271-B8BA6820BF50.jpeg
    529811F0-A27A-4963-A271-B8BA6820BF50.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Just cut this soap today and it’s got a bit of a swirl going on, although I’m not sure why. It’s one of the recipes I use all the time: olive oil (pomace), coconut oil, shea butter and cocoa butter. No colorants, scented with sandalwood, cedarwood and bergamot EOs. Anyone know why it would have that design in there? It almost looks like a ghost swirl, but it was all one batch.
This is really a beautiful, elegant soap. I studied your photo before I read the text. I really like that minimalist swirl and am so surprised that you didn't do the swirl! @KiwiMoose always says, soap does its own thing. I often use a 50/50 cedarwood/bergamot EO but your blend sounds awesome.

Maybe a stearic swirl ( as in stearic spots only a swirl)? Look lovely anyway - just go with it and pretend it was all part of your master plan :)

This is really a beautiful, elegant soap. I studied your photo before I read the text. I really like that minimalist swirl and am so surprised that you didn't do the swirl! @KiwiMoose always says, soap does its own thing. I often use a 50/50 cedarwood/bergamot EO but your blend sounds awesome.
Thank you! I was very surprised by the swirl, but I think it looks lovely! I had a little bit of sandalwood left, so I decided to add it in. It’s quite nice!

Maybe a stearic swirl ( as in stearic spots only a swirl)? Look lovely anyway - just go with it and pretend it was all part of your master plan :)
I totally meant to do it 😆

@Ugeauxgirl HP salt bars? Sounds like maximum salting-out (ricing) danger, plus extra trouble from attempting to stir tons of (cold) salt into a quickly solidifying batter. What was your incentive to make HP salt bars?

And, btw, thanks for calling the other batch “Soleseife” and not “Soleseif”. I can't blame anyone for having no German skills, but I can blame people for thoughtlessly copying typos, until the wrong spelling would become accepted at some time. When I write in foreig languages, I don't jus leav ou randoml the las letters of words eithe.
Whoops- I missed your response. I put the salt in the oven with everything else so it's warm too. With the 20% superfat the batter is really thin. This is my third batch of salt soap- only one of them came out rough-looking. I tried to do a design on that one and there wasn't enough time. I'm more comfortable with HP and know exactly when to cut it, but maybe I'll try a CP salt bar next time. I didn't know it was harder to make salt bars that way.

I didn't know it was harder to make salt bars that way.
I can't positively confirm that it is harder that way. But your description was too close to salting-out instructions that I was worried if it works at all. You apparently had success, so there is nothing wrong with your method, only with my imagination which things would end in catastrophes, and which might work out decently.
Salt bars are usually made in a CP fashion because quite some people find it less stressful than HP (and some designs are outright impossible with the sticky HP gel). That means that if you manage a HP salt bar, it's rightfully “your” thing.😍

Back