What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap will do what soap will do…with help from a fo that (unexpectedly) accelerated. Got cocky and didn’t test the fo before using. Reminds me of the rule “Don’t experiment with new recipes when company is due to arrive for dinner.”

This is not what this batch was supposed to look like. I mean, it’s not baaaaaad but I don’t know how to tackle this from a naming/marketing perspective. It does smell lovely. Used The Sage’s Books Abound. Teak, cedar, leather, vetiver, bergamot, etc. Every sniff I smell all the different notes. I can now consider this fo thoroughly tested 🤣
C640C5A5-4C08-4FAC-9695-D94AC8528584.jpeg

It might not be what you had planned, but it’s still very pretty. The venue for my daughter’s wedding was a reference library. The building was old and elegant and floor to ceiling bookshelves lined the walls. So, how about Reference Room for a name? Or something that plays off a library like Non-fiction.

@Misschief you are such an enabler!

@Catscankim That beauty only weighs 267 lbs, AND they are only asking $3500 and some change. Sell a mere couple hundred bars of soap, and you'd totally recoup the cost. Winner winner chicken dinner! :p
LOL... we had one of those systems at my work. It had a conveyor belt and the "oven", as well as the shrink wrapper. I was so envious of that system!

It might not be what you had planned, but it’s still very pretty. The venue for my daughter’s wedding was a reference library. The building was old and elegant and floor to ceiling bookshelves lined the walls. So, how about Reference Room for a name? Or something that plays off a library like Non-fiction.
Oh my gosh, that sounds beautiful and unique. Only a very interesting person would choose such a venue. Thank you for the suggestions.

The design was supposed to look like fanned out pages of a book. Ish. But what I got was something very abstract. I’ve wanted to do a series of soaps inspired by artists. Perhaps this is my Kandinsky? 🤷🏼‍♀️😆

I’m going to try my design again tomorrow. My virtual book group celebrates out one-year anniversary in September and we’ll be meeting in person then to celebrate. Want to give them bookish soaps. And sooo many of my friends are book nerds.

So, did you ever sneak in at night to wrap your soaps? Enquiring minds want to know. 😁
No, by the time I really got into soap making, that piece of equipment had already broken down. I'm really lucky, though. My boss is an auction hound and he bought a shrink wrap system that was too small for us to use at work. I bought it from him for $100. It included two rolls of the shrink wrap (still working on the first roll). No shrink tunnel but it's a pretty nifty shrink wrap table. I still need a heat gun, though.

Mine is similar to this one:
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail...ek18RHCSQsBD3KpP-MRoCszMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

@Misschief you are such an enabler!

@Catscankim That beauty only weighs 267 lbs, AND they are only asking $3500 and some change. Sell a mere couple hundred bars of soap, and you'd totally recoup the cost. Winner winner chicken dinner! :p
I know 😱 i looked them up earlier tonight (this morning). I was so disappointed at the price. Then i thought....maybe we could all chip in for one and meet up at one central location to throw our bars into the shrinky dink hub. How cool would that be? A soap makers gathering to shrink wrap all of our soaps all at once. And nobody would ever ask on the forum again how they package their soaps, because we now all do it the same.

I can bring the deviled eggs

We're visiting my sister, yes the one who uses my soap to decorate. There is great progress though since I see my soap in use at every sink!!

I too get pulled outside to my gardens in the summer -- a rainy, stormy forecast tomorrow will keep me in, hopefully to get a batch of soap made. I've turned into Elmer Fudd with a garden pest. For a year I have tried everything (dropping smoke bombs into their tunnels was way too satisfying) but finally called in an exterminator who has trapped 2 already.

ETA: @Zing ... just entering my recent purchases into SM3 and realized I bought Meadowfoam Seed Oil and I have no idea what to do with it!! 'Bout to go down another searching rabbit hole!!! :rolleyes: :oops:
I will tell you what I told him: it’s nasty stuff. You need to get rid of it right away before someone gets hurt. Just send it to me and I’ll dispose of it safely for you - only because we are friends. 🤓

Seriously, MFS oil is ah-may-zing in any kind of lotion or lotion bar. Soft, easily absorbed, doesn’t leave a greasy after-feel.

I tried @Zany_in_CO's 67% Shea butter recipe, it's now resting before the cut - as usual, waiting for the cut is the hardest part!

Since I consider this to be quite a luxurious recipe for the high Shea butter content, I had this picture saved as inspiration for the light dusting effect on the top:
Screenshot_20210620-094418~2.png

And this is where I learned the hard way that it's really difficult to lightly sprinkle the mica if you're not using a sieve :oops: I was doing this free-hand and as you can imagine the mica landed in small lumps on the wet top, not quite the same effect haha.
So I ended swirling the top a bit to mix the lumps of mica in - the light dusting effect will need to wait for the next batch!

IMG_20210619_175942040.jpg

It's not proper soldering work if you have the space to lay down the circuit board. 😄😫

ETA: My first soapy thing today was that I tested if my odd LS is still zappy after a day with extra castor oil – and it isn't! Second soapy thing was to lose patience with safflower-infused oil, after over two weeks infusion + 1 hour in hot water bath – just to find out that carthamin, the orange-red pigment in the petals, is water soluble… Probably not the last soapy thing for today, lol.

Last edited:
Back