What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made soap for my son with his favorite colors. The more I tried to clean up the sides the more it started turning pink 😢
7342EAB9-50C3-4018-9B94-912C07D116C8.jpeg

I still need to start a conditioner bar thread - this is the next rabbit hole I'm going down.
Please do! I've played with a couple of recipes and have liked them all so far. Would love to hear what others think.

The one I made last night was based on HB&Me's Cranberry Orange conditioner bars. Subbed in mango instead of the cranberry oil, hydrolized silk for the polyquat, and OMH for the sweet orange EO. So, for the first time, my shampoo bar and conditioner bar have the same scent. Also used my little bath bomb press for the shampoo bar so it looks cute (and differentiated from the conditioner bar).

The conditioner bars seem to be sweating this morning. The drops smell like FO but feel like silk, so I'm not quite sure. May pop them back in the freezer for a bit to see if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just realised I never finished the story of the mould disaster - when I got up this morning it had actually cracked in a couple of places! From what I can see from the placement and direction of the cracks, the soap tried to expand slightly, but where the clamps were, it was constrained and put too much pressure on the sides.
I peeled off the mould pieces and the soap was lovely underneath, nicest finish I've seen!
IMG_20210521_100151.jpg

Here it is cut; the calendula petals caused some amount drag marks, but other than that I like it quite a lot! It's very subtle and different from my usual style, but I love that all the colours are from things growing in my garden.
IMG_20210521_113403.jpg
The FO is glacier falls, I find it quite a lively spring scent.

Today no soaping' i've managed to do some research between cleaning the house' came across an interesting topic of "Colloidal Oatmeal" at first I thought I can purchase oatmeal & grind it my self to a fine powder. but after research realized its process is micronised to a specific particle size. It also needs to to be processed so the startch is modified so it can disperse into creams, lotions & bath products w/ no clumps or lumps. I had to order some of this skin soothing stuff. 👍🏼💫. I ordered form " Making Cosmetics " I'm going to make a bar soap for sensitive skin & use Colloidal Oatmeal w/ no added color or scent. 🧼💫.

Lol, does reworking some of my soap recipes to exclude RBO based on the the oils I have on hand count as a soapy thing? I was silly enough to believe my usual store would have it back in stock by now, and they do not. I'm too tired at the moment to go search-shopping, and don't want to spend time tomorrow, with a packed to-do list and a few social events to work around.

Lol, does reworking some of my soap recipes to exclude RBO based on the the oils I have on hand count as a soapy thing? I was silly enough to believe my usual store would have it back in stock by now, and they do not. I'm too tired at the moment to go search-shopping, and don't want to spend time tomorrow, with a packed to-do list and a few social events to work around.
I hear ya! I'm almost out of soy wax - seems we have a national shortage ( I blame covid). There'll be no reworking of my recipes without it - its a mainstay for me. Unless i just keep making @Zany_in_CO's NSC until I can get more. I've already subbed my usual brand with an alternative that seems to be working fine, but now that's running low and is out of stock at the supplier.... eek!

Well, I divided up my accidentally master-batched oils. It was accidental because yesterday while measuring out my oils for this month's challenge, I made an error, weighing out Castor oil in the amount I was supposed to be weighing RBO. I realized my error immediately and being unable to remove enough to stick to the formula, I chose to quadruple my batch size. So basically, I made a huge batch of oils and went to rest my weary hands.

It was this morning that I thought it was wiser to divide that batch of oils into smaller batches and keep the rest for other batches. So - accidental master-batched oils. That's what I did this morning. In spite of my hand being so stiff, as it tends to be in the mornings, due to the post surgical swelling.

I also prepared my colorants using some of the oil from the smaller batch I will be making. This was before going to my hand therapy session, after which my thumb and pinky finger and my hand itself felt better than it has for almost two months now. If I hadn't a commitment to go with son to his prosthetics fitting appointment, I would have made soap then. But we were gone for several hours, so it didn't get done. But happily, my hand felt great for hours and I was able to make a salad and do all sorts of things I haven't been able to do without a struggle &/or pain since April 7th, so it was a good day. And I am typing using my post-surgical thumb to hit the space bar. I haven't been able to do that without pain until today! Marvelous, dahling, Marvelous!

And just last night, my hand was so totally exhausted from lining a mold. Amazing difference in just one day's time!

My next soapy thing is tomorrow morning, when I plan to make that soap at last. There's no more prep work to do. It's all set up. If it wasn't 10:00 at night & I'm tired, I'd do it now, but my eyes are getting sleepy, so best wait.

I guess that's something good about living in a small country. Shipping is usually circa $NZ8-9 ( approx $US6) and takes 3 days at the absolute maximum.
Whereas it would cost me (Midwest US) on average US$25-55 for 3-day shipping, depending on which company, how much stuff, etc. I'm just a bit envious, TBH.

@Catscankim WOWZA! Awesome design and colors. What colorants did you use? I'm totally going to copy you!
TD, AC and Fantasia from Nurture soaps. I did about half as much AC batter than I did the other two. Just cut another batch that I did Satsuma Orange that smells just like a creamsicle. I did TD on the bottom, Diluted magenta from BB, and a MM orange that I cannot remember the name. I will show pics tomorrow of that.

i love this swirl. Its simple and it takes no time at all.

edit: and if you think you screwed it up by swirling the wrong way...it seems there is no wrong way, just pick up where you left off or reswirl it.

I guess that's something good about living in a small country. Shipping is usually circa $NZ8-9 ( approx $US6) and takes 3 days at the absolute maximum.
Whereas it would cost me (Midwest US) on average US$25-55 for 3-day shipping, depending on which company, how much stuff, etc. I'm just a bit envious, TBH.

Considering emigrating to New Zealand so I can save on shipping costs!

Of course, if I do a cost-benefit analysis, that may not work out in my favor... Still, it could be fun. Granddaughter would have to come visit far far away.
🚢🛳✈🛩🚙🚚

Ugh...I made a big mistake putting FO in a plastic (Solo) cup o_O I know better...I really do. I even have a special glass measuring cup for the sole purpose of measuring my FOs...smh.

Needless to say, it melted through the bottom and now my house smells nauseatingly like Barber Shoppe FO. It was one of my favorite FOs...until now. At the very last minute, I had to fragrance my batch with Abalone & Sea. I will be cutting it soon and posting another pic later.

Attachments

• 3011220E-DDF7-494C-89EC-E7B557A19E4B.jpeg
    3011220E-DDF7-494C-89EC-E7B557A19E4B.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
Finally got around to making a new batch/recipe of soap dough. Hopefully it’s a bit easier to work with, without being too soft or sticky. We shall see...
Next to go through and check the soap dough I have and figure out what to do with some of it that’s pretty old.
Also, time to make some rainbow soaps for Pride months before I leave to see my family for a couple weeks. (First time since covid!)
Pouring the soap dough into these vacuum sealed bags and laying them on the cold counter helps stop gel. And I used black oxide this time, and was nervous to use too much... now it’s grey. 😏

Attachments

• CFD81893-1C88-47C4-9D61-9CCF64611272.jpeg
    CFD81893-1C88-47C4-9D61-9CCF64611272.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 13
  • 7C1F9A36-75FC-4780-817E-7C5DC30406E4.jpeg
    7C1F9A36-75FC-4780-817E-7C5DC30406E4.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back