What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Mint Mojitos:
97CF1D15-AC16-410B-9B13-D2B8F410A8DA.jpeg

These are finally ready to be packaged. The Awaken FO from NS held up really well. The detail in this design is kinda boggling my brain.
Tasha, your pull-through skills are just EPIC and beyond my imagination. If there's ever a pull-through challenge I DO hope you enter so we can see even more of your work.

These are finally ready to be packaged. The Awaken FO from NS held up really well. The detail in this design is kinda boggling my brain. View attachment 57367
Boggling mine too! It's amazing!
For me - it doesn't matter what design I use for the plates, they all look kinda the same.

I cut my cocoa-mint soap today. My first swirl. It got a little too thick before I poured the cocoa powder color and didn't quite swirl properly, but I think it's pretty.
This is purr-tee!! You are on your way! Congrats on the swirl job! Love it and wanna eat it!
These are finally ready to be packaged. The Awaken FO from NS held up really well. The detail in this design is kinda boggling my brain. View attachment 57367
@TashaBird I am stunned beyond all get out and have no words. Epic. If there was a prize for a post with the mostness and awesomeness this one by far deserves it. I can't even. I can't even. Simple color combo but incredibly complex design. Now I'm gonna sound like my sister who annoys me for displaying my soap instead of using my soap but if I got your soap, I'd shellac it and hang it on the wall. You better be charging top dollar for this, Woman! Wow, you just made my week!

So this is sooooo far off soapiness topic but kinda soap tangential or maybe not. Since I have moved to this strange new land called Minnesota I have discovered a surprise gardening nemesis: voles (field mice). They are little m------------ and like to eat the roots of my plants and make destructive tunnels,. I swear I am in a Elmer Fudd/Bugs Bunny/Groundhogs Day cartoon where everything I try gets subverted. Plant onions, new tunnel. Distribute fox urine, new tunnel. Tonight I read that they hate the smell of castor oil. Castor oil! What? I'm a soaper! I have tons of castor oil! Lord only knows what my neighbors are thinking but I have created a perimeter!! Fingers crossed ....

So this is sooooo far off soapiness topic but kinda soap tangential or maybe not. Since I have moved to this strange new land called Minnesota I have discovered a surprise gardening nemesis: voles (field mice). They are little m------------ and like to eat the roots of my plants and make destructive tunnels,. I swear I am in a Elmer Fudd/Bugs Bunny/Groundhogs Day cartoon where everything I try gets subverted. Plant onions, new tunnel. Distribute fox urine, new tunnel. Tonight I read that they hate the smell of castor oil. Castor oil! What? I'm a soaper! I have tons of castor oil! Lord only knows what my neighbors are thinking but I have created a perimeter!! Fingers crossed ....
They eat grubs that eat your plant roots. If you're getting a ton of vole-tunnels, you have a grub problem. I can't remember what we used, but I know there's stuff on the market for killing grubs. One year we trapped/killed a lot of voles. And then next, our lawn died because the grubs ate all the roots that spring. So, we targeted the grubs, and never had a vole problem after that.

We have voles here in Colorado that make a mess of my yard as well! Let me know if the castor oil works! How did you apply it?

Boggling mine too! It's amazing!
For me - it doesn't matter what design I use for the plates, they all look kinda the same.
I just spent some time online looking at stencil designs that I sent to have made. I’m curious if I can get some different designs. But, they mostly all look like flowers.

@Zing #madetobeused one of my friends has a horde of my soaps displayed in his bathroom in the cellophane packaging.

Tasha, your pull-through skills are just EPIC and beyond my imagination. If there's ever a pull-through challenge I DO hope you enter so we can see even more of your work.
I think I just get lucky.

I just spent some time online looking at stencil designs that I sent to have made. I’m curious if I can get some different designs. But, they mostly all look like flowers.

@Zing #madetobeused one of my friends has a horde of my soaps displayed in his bathroom in the cellophane packaging.
I really like the geometric stencil designs... they are pretty cool! But I've only tried out 5 or so of my 12 stencils. I want more bears and can't even remember which one I used for that! LOL! I

Today I finally got around to completing the soap molds I have been meaning to get around to for a while now...
Actually, I've been working on them a little at a time for the last three days. Between my miniscule attention span and sometimes not being able to stand for long periods of time, it took me a while but I did eventually get them done. Eventually.
The 2 pound loaf mold liner bows in a little which worried me at first but when I filled it with water, the sides popped right up. I am going to make another one without the silicone liner, bigger and with ends that can be moved for different size batches. I will have to line it with freezer paper but that's OK.

The one for the quart size milk cartons is a little snug, but the first attempt was too loose. The carton is not square, it tends to collapse on itself diagonally. I cut the rabbets a little deeper to make the mold smaller (rabbets are the cuts in the corners that the piece next to it slots into, if that makes sense). Now the carton is held perfectly square but it does not glide out easily. I will either cut a hole in the bottom big enough to use a dowel or something to push it out, or I will cut slots in the sides at the top so I can grasp it and pull it out. It is not pushed in all the way in the picture, and when it is, the top of the mold reaches the top of the carton. What I might end up doing though is gluing another square of plywood on top, and then slicing the top off on my bandsaw 2-3cm from the top of the carton to make a lid to help insulate it for forcing gel. I was planning on covering the top with plastic wrap and then wrapping the whole thing in towels, but I dunno. I've never used one before so I don't know what features I'm supposed to be wishing I had included. 😆 I did remember to make a base for it a little bigger than the width so it would be more stable.

20210517_211534_2.jpg

The molds I made out of Pringles cans were super easy to make. All I had to do was eat Pringles. I am going to try the lollipop pour with those.

I think I just get lucky.
Repeatedly, and with great consistency?

I sure hope it helps, keep-us posted. I've gotta say I fully know how you feel
(little story)
I kept having to Re-Plant flowers under our tree that sets a ways from our kitchen window' due to the flowers dying or completely disappearing. After planting all these different flowers' the next Day as I was washing dishes I was admiring the beautiful flowers' then suddenly I noticed one flower begin to shake' I thought how strange only one among many is shaking? then suddenly The Flower Completely Disappeared Straight Down In The Ground, truly unbelievable. In my case it was a gopher or gopher's more likely. 🤣😂 :goodbye1:. Good Luck 🌻🌾

Today I finally got around to completing the soap molds I have been meaning to get around to for a while now...
Actually, I've been working on them a little at a time for the last three days. Between my miniscule attention span and sometimes not being able to stand for long periods of time, it took me a while but I did eventually get them done. Eventually.
The 2 pound loaf mold liner bows in a little which worried me at first but when I filled it with water, the sides popped right up. I am going to make another one without the silicone liner, bigger and with ends that can be moved for different size batches. I will have to line it with freezer paper but that's OK.

The one for the quart size milk cartons is a little snug, but the first attempt was too loose. The carton is not square, it tends to collapse on itself diagonally. I cut the rabbets a little deeper to make the mold smaller (rabbets are the cuts in the corners that the piece next to it slots into, if that makes sense). Now the carton is held perfectly square but it does not glide out easily. I will either cut a hole in the bottom big enough to use a dowel or something to push it out, or I will cut slots in the sides at the top so I can grasp it and pull it out. It is not pushed in all the way in the picture, and when it is, the top of the mold reaches the top of the carton. What I might end up doing though is gluing another square of plywood on top, and then slicing the top off on my bandsaw 2-3cm from the top of the carton to make a lid to help insulate it for forcing gel. I was planning on covering the top with plastic wrap and then wrapping the whole thing in towels, but I dunno. I've never used one before so I don't know what features I'm supposed to be wishing I had included. 😆 I did remember to make a base for it a little bigger than the width so it would be more stable.

View attachment 57371

The molds I made out of Pringles cans were super easy to make. All I had to do was eat Pringles. I am going to try the lollipop pour with those.
Those look amazing' 💫

Last edited:
It's always interesting to read about all your days.
I'm just sitting here head in hand and feeling sorry for myself.
Received a large order today of oils; essential oils; fragrance oils etc. There's been alot of damage in transit:- oils have leaked ; tubs have split and
I have a big clean up to do.
I've contacted the supplier and will wait to hear from them.
It's the end of a busy day and I was hoping to pack all the stuff away tonight.
I think I'll just start the clean up in the morning.

I sure hope it helps, keep-us posted. I've gotta say I fully know how you feel
(little story)
I kept having to Re-Plant flowers under our tree that sets a ways from our kitchen window' due to the flowers dying or completely disappearing. After planting all these different flowers' the next Day as I was washing dishes I was admiring the beautiful flowers' then suddenly I noticed one flower begin to shake' I thought how strange only one among many is shaking? then suddenly The Flower Completely Disappeared Straight Down In The Ground, truly unbelievable. In my case it was a gopher or gopher's more likely. 🤣😂 :goodbye1:. Good Luck 🌻🌾
YES! This is exactly what happens! We saw our carrots disappear into the ground. I swear, the whole thing is straight out of a cartoon and people do not believe us! @maryloucb, I just walked around the yard squeezing a bottle of castor oil.

Latest posts

Back