What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In soapy news, I've finished my cross cut sled for the table saw! (Bear with me...)
View attachment 57198

Now that I can get much more accurate cuts, I'm all set up to make my own custom soap moulds! (See? 😁 )

But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
View attachment 57199

These ancillary projects are great for doing soapy things without actually generating new soap! 🤣
Thats awesome' :hippo:

The loaf I just cut was still warm. Why put it back?

After several miserable fails at the embed I wanted to make, I finally just slapped this together. It’s scented MaM Palo Santo, which smells nothing like palo santo, but smells better in soap than OOB. This soap just had a kind of its own. Also, some weird little white bumps that I don’t think are stearic spots, but maybe.
Maybe I’ll call it: Emerald Coast, or high moon. 😆
Love the vibrant color' Wow :computerbath:

Today I made my 1st "in pot wonder design" for our May challenge' yay i'm in' here is the catch I'm only having one go at it' so however my design turns out It's gonna be entered in the challenge. I also used powered goat milk for the first time' wasn't quite sure if I did that right either' I added a little distilled water to it mixed real well then add'ed to hot oils. so hope it turns out. either way Soap smells great.

Was practicing my procrastination skills , so I ran to Dollar Tree and got some more spatulas and found some pretty contact paper. Decided to use it to make my molds prettier... and a little easier to keep the outsides clean. Since they are wood it will be easy to change and replace the contact paper. Went a head and lined them to so when I make more soap they are ready to go! I really did not want to vacuum and mop the floors or do laundry! 🙄😳😬
911FA828-9E63-480E-A225-C7754F63C158.jpeg

There still was that box with a salted-out lump of soap standing around for at least a month, I just haven't had the incentive to care about them. Planing slivers, soap scraps, and a few questionable experiments etc., some from the phase where I played a lot with red palm oil. They have stood outside, and changed their colour to something similar to rotting flesh.
High time to salt-rebatch a second time! Gosh, was I surprised to see the soap curds swimming on top of the murky brown salt brine in such a beautiful bright orange!
salting_out_red_palm.jpg
Tomorrow when cooled down but still soft, I'll squeeze this mash into silicone moulds for handy pieces. A late second life for these waste soaps to end up as boring (or not so boring?) everyday household soaps. Cradle-to-cradle! 💫

In soapy news, I've finished my cross cut sled for the table saw! (Bear with me...)
View attachment 57198

Now that I can get much more accurate cuts, I'm all set up to make my own custom soap moulds! (See? 😁 )

But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
View attachment 57199

These ancillary projects are great for doing soapy things without actually generating new soap! 🤣
You are one skilled woman! I am very impressed.

Was practicing my procrastination skills , so I ran to Dollar Tree and got some more spatulas and found some pretty contact paper. Decided to use it to make my molds prettier... and a little easier to keep the outsides clean. Since they are wood it will be easy to change and replace the contact paper. Went a head and lined them to so when I make more soap they are ready to go! I really did not want to vacuum and mop the floors or do laundry! 🙄😳😬
View attachment 57231
Pretty Box's like the print. Much more fun then housework' 😉💫👍🏼

View attachment 57198

View attachment 57199

I am in awe of you. That is all. 😁

I just finished a batch of lemongrass soap. I didn't use any colorants or anything even though I had them ready. The specs for the EO said discolors to yellow, so at the last minute I decided to not add anything at all and pour into my square ish mold and do a crinkle cut (tomorrow).

My lord, I am so used to fighting with misbehaving colors and FO's that I wasn't prepared for the long time it took to trace to pour (and the small amt of dishes).. This was the most relaxing soap session I have ever encountered LOL. The most stressful part was going to get a mold for over-pour. I came back to the batter and it was still nice. I'm like "really? rice up or something. Make this interesting" LMBO. "I swear I will go pee and you are going to be soap on a stick, right?" Nope, perfectly behaved batter.

Macintosh Apple FO from Candle Science which smells like a lovely fresh apple
Until 10 seconds ago, I didn't know that there is not only the Apple, Inc. computer called Macintosh, but also an Malus domestica fruit variety of that name. I mean, things like “new car” FOs are a thing too, and I'd be not very surprised if someone sells perfumes/FOs/diffuser essences to Steve Jobs disciples, which remind them from camping in front of the Apple stores to get the latest iPhone.

Looky look! Cut my ‘Candy Apple’ soap today. Used Macintosh Apple FO from Candle Science which smells like a lovely fresh apple (not cinnamon).
View attachment 57237
There's a MacIntosh apple fragrance? We had a MacIntosh apple tree on our property where I grew up! Our tree produced a lot of small apples. I didn't like them raw as much since we had other apple varieties that were less tart, but they were my little sister's favorites. They make the best applesauce, and their skin is so red it dyes the applesauce pink, so we could always see which jars of applesauce were MacIntosh. I'm very tempted to make a MacIntosh apple soap for the sake of nostalgia!
Also, it feels very fitting to be taking this trip down memory lane. I'll be packing up soap and making my best body butter and lotion recipes for my parents to take to that same sister this weekend.

Last edited:
View attachment 57198

View attachment 57199

I just had my saw out for a different project, and after everything was all put away I thought about making soap molds. *smacks forehead*
Oh well, it's not hard to get it back out again, it stays in my kitchen because that's where I use it most often (it is waaaay too hot in my garage!), but still, I do have to move furniture around a bit to make space for it when I use it. I found a few small pieces of plywood among my scraps that will do for the molds I need.
I have a silicone loaf mold liner from Bramble Berry, and I need to make molds that use milk cartons as liners for pull-through soap. I should get on that soon.

Tara, I do like the profiled beveler, it looks very professional.

Can I put an order in for one of these? Please & Thank You! Although, I would really like to purchase your detailed instructions!!! lol! I really LOVE the rounded beveled edges! You are very skilled!!!

My husband is super supportive of all of my hobbies. He surprised me with this soap mold and cutter set. I've been using a cut off graham cracker box for my 1 pound mold, and it's been driving me nuts. Now I have nice 1 pound molds to use. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_205546288.jpg
    IMG_20210514_205546288.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 22
Back