What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally made salt bars. Wish I had done it a year ago, lol. I used 80% CO and 40% salt, so maybe I’ll be able to try them in 6 months.
7A0DD6D7-8411-4057-A586-4481319557E1.jpeg

So far my soapy thing today was opening my box from wsp lol...lots of new to me goodies in there, such as some natural powders/colorants that im not experienced with, like indigo.

Plus i hit the shea butter sale, so 5lbs of that.

I also sold 4 bars of soap at work. She wanted charcoal soap for her mom for mothers day last week, but i didnt have any with me. I was really mad at myself for not having any in my bag, but she ended up wanting them anyway, so she bought all 4 that i brought with me tonight, so now i am mad at myself for not bringing more lol.

In my wsp box is a bottle is Lemongrass EO. When i used to sell for a company, the lemongrass soap was one of my top sellers. I personally hate it lol. I think it smells like pledge, but everybodys sniffers are different.

Funny story. BECAUSE i hate lemongrass so much, i would only keep a bar or two in stock (had to buy myself, then sell my supply). Then ppl would start digging through looking for it. Who knew everybody didnt have the same taste as i do in scents lol.

I bought Lime eo, but i think i am gonna save that for butters and scrubs.

Wish i woulda planned more ahead with mothers day soaps, but i had a lot going on two months ago with the house. Christmas was big for me, so i gotta start doing more holiday planning.

Been soapmaking other than that, but not much photography lol.

Gonna buy a few tables and a tent so i can hit up the markets around here...I have been putting it off because its a little overwhelming for me with set up and planning, but i guess i gotta get started somehow lol. I already have one market that keeps asking about selling.
Good luck w/ the open markets' I'm thinking of doing that too' but I've put it off. where is the Sale on Shea Butter?

I finally made salt bars. Wish I had done it a year ago, lol. I used 80% CO and 40% salt, so maybe I’ll be able to try them in 6 months.View attachment 57145
Love the color & shape of your Bars. Is the rectangle shape a three dimensional mold?.

In my wsp box is a bottle is Lemongrass EO. When i used to sell for a company, the lemongrass soap was one of my top sellers. I personally hate it lol. I think it smells like pledge, but everybodys sniffers are different.

Funny story. BECAUSE i hate lemongrass so much, i would only keep a bar or two in stock (had to buy myself, then sell my supply). Then ppl would start digging through looking for it. Who knew everybody didnt have the same taste as i do in scents lol.
Personal preferences are fascinating to me. Lemongrass EO is one of my all time FAVORITES! My favorite soap is rosemary and lemongrass. It's also the most popular and requested soap among my friends and recipients.

Now if you can excuse me for some unsolicited advice said with great affection. I'm sensing a lot of self-criticism in your post. If 2020 taught me anything, it is to be more gentle with myself and others BECAUSE WE'VE ALL JUST SURVIVED A FREAKING GLOBAL PANDEMIC!! Blue ribbons for everyone!

Love the color & shape of your Bars. Is the rectangle shape a three dimensional mold?.

No, it’s one I got on Amazon. I had seen another member use it and I loved the shape. I think it was @Misschief or @msunnerstood. I apologize as my brain isn’t working like it used to. Lol.
image.jpg

Personal preferences are fascinating to me. Lemongrass EO is one of my all time FAVORITES! My favorite soap is rosemary and lemongrass. It's also the most popular and requested soap among my friends and recipients.

Now if you can excuse me for some unsolicited advice said with great affection. I'm sensing a lot of self-criticism in your post. If 2020 taught me anything, it is to be more gentle with myself and others BECAUSE WE'VE ALL JUST SURVIVED A FREAKING GLOBAL PANDEMIC!! Blue ribbons for everyone!

I love lemongrass too. In fact, the salt bars I just made are a combo of lemongrass EO and Lemongrass FO. I agree we all need a trophy for the last year. 😂😂😂

I also love lemongrass--in fact my soapy thing I did yesterday was get all my ingredients ready to make a matcha coconut milk soap scented with lemongrass and lime!

I used to make lemongrass lip balm. And we had beehives we cared for. Lemongrass is about the closest thing to their "this is home" pheromone, so anytime we wore it working the bees we'd have bees around our faces constantly. 😂
My son is about to graduate from college, but when he was a teenager, he was a beekeeper in our backyard. They are fascinating creatures. We got to know the bees so well that we could recognize which were his and which were not when we were out and about the neighborhood. People were often shocked to learn that there were bee hives in our backyard smack in the middle of Chicago. It was like learning about the soaper community (we are everywhere!!) -- we had no idea how many urban beehives were around. The honey was wonderful while it lasted. I miss those days.

I feel like I’ve been away so long I’ll never catch up. That goes for soaping and this thread!
I thought I had 5-6 soaps that needed to be photoed and posted on my website. I had FIFTEEN! AND new lotion bars and balms. Holy smokes!! It took a few hours, but inventory is up to date, posted online, and initial social media post made.
WHEW!
Meanwhile, I actually managed to make a soap. If base ingredients hadn’t been sitting there prepped (for a month!) I probably wouldn’t have gotten around to it. The day started by playing with soap dough because it’s my favorite! But after 3 tries, and almost breaking my extruder disc, I had to completely change my plan for what I was going to make. It took on a life of it’s own. But, it was fun fun fun!

So that was a surprise. I came home from work, unwrapped my loaves, got the cutter out, was anxious to post photos of my gardener/mechanic soap and prepped my trusty terrycloth towel backdrop. The first loaf popped right out but was very warm to the touch. That's a new one -- I've always unmolded 24 hours later. It took everything in me to put it back and put the cutter away. This patience stuff is for the birds.

Today I made an iced coffee soap (M&P). It's setting up tonight so I'll cut it up tomorrow. I purposely didn't use vanilla color stabilizer because I want it to turn brown on its own (my own goofy experiment). Making the ice cubes was fun! I think next time, I'll use a tiny paddle-like tool that I got with micas to help flood the tiny cavities in the mold. Tomorrow, I'll shrink wrap soap and make a valiant attempt at a Christmas swirl.

Today I made an iced coffee soap (M&P). It's setting up tonight so I'll cut it up tomorrow. I purposely didn't use vanilla color stabilizer because I want it to turn brown on its own (my own goofy experiment). Making the ice cubes was fun! I think next time, I'll use a tiny paddle-like tool that I got with micas to help flood the tiny cavities in the mold. Tomorrow, I'll shrink wrap soap and make a valiant attempt at a Christmas swirl.
I'd love to see a picture of your soap! It sounds amazing!

I unmolded a goats milk and honey soap that I made yesterday. It's fun using the same recipe and tweaking it with different liquids, additives and such. Each batch is turning out just a little bit nicer I think. At least nicer looking. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_122927505.jpg
    IMG_20210512_122927505.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 18
So that was a surprise. I came home from work, unwrapped my loaves, got the cutter out, was anxious to post photos of my gardener/mechanic soap and prepped my trusty terrycloth towel backdrop. The first loaf popped right out but was very warm to the touch. That's a new one -- I've always unmolded 24 hours later. It took everything in me to put it back and put the cutter away. This patience stuff is for the birds.
The loaf I just cut was still warm. Why put it back?

After several miserable fails at the embed I wanted to make, I finally just slapped this together. It’s scented MaM Palo Santo, which smells nothing like palo santo, but smells better in soap than OOB. This soap just had a kind of its own. Also, some weird little white bumps that I don’t think are stearic spots, but maybe.
Maybe I’ll call it: Emerald Coast, or high moon. 😆

Attachments

• A04014A8-2C3D-4411-AFF4-022349A0BA79.jpeg
    A04014A8-2C3D-4411-AFF4-022349A0BA79.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 19
The loaf I just cut was still warm. Why put it back?

After several miserable fails at the embed I wanted to make, I finally just slapped this together. It’s scented MaM Palo Santo, which smells nothing like palo santo, but smells better in soap than OOB. This soap just had a kind of its own. Also, some weird little white bumps that I don’t think are stearic spots, but maybe.
Maybe I’ll call it: Emerald Coast, or high moon. 😆
I don't know why I put it back. I never have encountered that before but it seemed like it was missing its cozy little fort under the towel pile.
Great green soap there! It looks like it could glow in the dark!

I'd love to see a picture of your soap! It sounds amazing!
WELL... I realized a lot in this little experiment. Excitement can totally turn one's brain off in the zeal to make the soap. I probably should have made 2 batches of the little ice cubes. And, in melting the base for the soap I used a clear base instead of the coffee base that I'd intended to use! Hmph. The good news is that my son loves the scent, I got good experience using the itty bitty soap mold and it will still turn darker... just not as dark as I'd hoped for! LOL!

Attachments

• Iced coffee soap.JPG
    Iced coffee soap.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 13
WELL... I realized a lot in this little experiment. Excitement can totally turn one's brain off in the zeal to make the soap. I probably should have made 2 batches of the little ice cubes. And, in melting the base for the soap I used a clear base instead of the coffee base that I'd intended to use! Hmph. The good news is that my son loves the scent, I got good experience using the itty bitty soap mold and it will still turn darker... just not as dark as I'd hoped for! LOL!
It's still cool looking! And I'm sure it smells wonderful.

In soapy news, I've finished my cross cut sled for the table saw! (Bear with me...)
IMG_20210512_145101.jpg

Now that I can get much more accurate cuts, I'm all set up to make my own custom soap moulds! (See? 😁 )

But first I practiced with a simple little project and made myself a beveler to my preferred spec. There's one straight blade which I can adjust for depth of cut from about 2mm to 5mm, which seems to be plenty, in testing. I also ground out a second blade to make a roundover profile with shoulders, and I like it a lot!
IMG_20210513_134023.jpg

These ancillary projects are great for doing soapy things without actually generating new soap! 🤣

Latest posts

Back