What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say I'm very impressed with how it came out!

The detail is perfect, down to the rough surface of the plaster and all the air bubbles in the impression 🙄 🤣
Silicone is truly merciless. The 3D-printed part I moulded with silicone, filled with chocolate, looks like 3D-printed from chocolate 😋. You can see EVERY SINGLE LAYER of filament deposition, including the surface texture (gloss) and any unsightly detail.

IME, soap is a lot less merciless than that: just try out how a soap comes off of this, if it is needed to redo the plaster casting at all, or if you like it that way (or if soda ash ruins the surface anyway).

In case of doubt, you still can use these as a relief for HP soaps that have the texture of demolition waste 😝

Well I had my first disastrous lye water spill! Thank goodness it was a small batch for another attempt at a pull through. The container with the lid on slipped right out of my hands. Splashed every where! Most of it stayed in the container, but still a mess. And I’m sad to say... although my brand new dishwasher door is stainless steel, the handle is not! Also I feel that my kitchen floor is the cleanest it’s ever been with the lye solution and 3 washes and 2 rinses! Grrrr!
On a positive note, I think I’ve got my slow trace soap recipe down! Of my last 3 batches... soaping at room temp... my batter has stayed fluid throughout my intricate pours each time. Even with the clays, micas or FO. Pretty excited about that!

Made a very special batch of soap today. I got this idea from @Primrose. My friend’s daughter got married this week. I wanted to do something special for them. Made Castile soap, which I will pass along to them with a note. The gist of it will be about the timelessness of Castile soap, how it has stood the test of time, the fragrance may wear off, they might wish that the soaps were prettier or smelled better over the years, patience required to allow the soap to change and evolve and improve, etc. This particular couple was at the country music festival in Vegas and both were shot. The now-husband of the couple almost did not make it.

Anyway, feeling a little choked up.
image.jpg

I forgot to take photos of my gift basket for my best friend. I did mean too to post and for my journal (I love adding photos to my soap journal and have a portable printer just for phone photos etc).

Technically it's Sunday morning so, my adventures in Soapland are from yesterday and Friday but I made two batches of CP on Friday. As well as a clarifying shampoo, a conditioning shampoo, deep moisture conditioner, a nivea clay body wash dupe (love the smell, wished I purchased more of the FO), another body wash, a light body milk (lotion that sprays), a moisturising hand and body cream, a Fyah solid perfume, liquid hand wash (@IrishLass 's CP one), face sea salt scrub (finally got to use the citrus infused vodka I made two months ago) and two emulsified scrubs (one sugar one salt). Her present included 7 chakra bath bombs (each scented accordingly) and bath salts but I didn't make them on Friday. Yep, that was Friday. I also made soup and boiled condensed milk for caramel tart, which I did finish yesterday.

I'm not good at moderating my activity (FMS) so most of yesterday was spent writhing in pain and recovery.
In the afternoon, I cut one soap from Friday (will cut other this morning, I ran out of time) and boxed up my present for my dragon fire sister and then joined her for her epic mini festival party. Danced and drank a little too much.

But still on a high due to awe and praise people expressed over my gift basket. I know that's narcissistic, but, I will admit that even after years of gifting soapy things, I still get that endorphin high. Just seeing how happy people get is such a high.

I did go overboard with my friend's present (I even included a huge loofah that grew from seeds she gave me several years ago) but, we've been friends since we were 14 and we both turn 45 this year and she is a very special human.

Today is mother's day and I asked my family for raw materials. My 10 year old was under strict instructions not to buy soap from the school's mother's day stall as any soaps and soapy things were made (& donated) made by me.
I only donated four loaves/batches and 30 bombs this year. The expectation as crafters we get to donate our crafts and/or services from schools/clubs etc seems to get higher every year. Surely I'm not alone in that expectation?
I donated chutneys and pickled garlic years ago (2008) when my son was in prep and the next year I donated soap. Then was asked if I was giving them chutneys etc as well. They were disappointed and the following year they asked if I could donate both.
Stupidly I did and then kept it up until the two older ones finished at that school. My youngest goes to a different school; so when she was in prep I was smart enough to only donate soaps and bath products.
Anyone else have similar experiences with schools and sporting clubs etc?

Made a very special batch of soap today. I got this idea from @Primrose. My friend’s daughter got married this week. I wanted to do something special for them. Made Castile soap, which I will pass along to them with a note. The gist of it will be about the timelessness of Castile soap, how it has stood the test of time, the fragrance may wear off, they might wish that the soaps were prettier or smelled better over the years, patience required to allow the soap to change and evolve and improve, etc. This particular couple was at the country music festival in Vegas and both were shot. The now-husband of the couple almost did not make it.

Anyway, feeling a little choked up. View attachment 57060
That's so beautiful. They must have a very close bond going through such a traumatic experience together. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Anyway, feeling a little choked up. View attachment 57060
I'm not crying! You're crying!
Seriously, this is incredibly thoughtful and symbolic.

I am taking a shot at my challenge soap tonight but I am doing it slowly as my back has decided to flare up. Just finished my soap dishes, ill sit till they dry, then measure oils and lye and sit again etc. Im determined to make soap tonight

ETA: 2 hours to make it but its done.

Last edited:
I have successfully NOT purchased additional FOs, despite WSP having a sale. I just feel someone else should know of my restraint.
Also, finally got back into making soap. NG's Japanese Cherry Blossom fragrance accelerated a little bit, but then slowed down to medium trace if I worked with it, thick if I didn't. Tried some new techniques, I'll find out if they worked... Uh... Later today, I guess. Also made 2 new lotions, turned out lovely. Also, tried making some face mask with charcoal among other things, but my black iron oxide and my activated charcoal tubs are right next to each other, and I think I grabbed the wrong one. So, I'll have to try again on that one.

I have successfully NOT purchased additional FOs, despite WSP having a sale. I just feel someone else should know of my restraint.
Save 25%? No, I'll save 100%!!!

Though, honestly, WSP doesn't make it too difficult for me (and Europeans) anyway:
Due to the high cost of complying with EU GDPR we have discontinued all marketing, services and sales to EU member states.

Last edited:
Though, honestly, WSP doesn't make it too difficult for me (and Europeans) anyway:

>Due to the high cost of complying with EU GDPR we have discontinued all marketing, services and sales to EU member states.
In other words, we'd rather not have your business than protect your privacy? Yeah, I'm ok with that then! 🤪

1620566281870.png

In other words, we'd rather not have your business than protect your privacy? Yeah, I'm ok with that then! 🤪

Seriously! Data protection for all customers should be a priority for online sales, right!?!?

Shocking that a company with $8.29 million (USD) in annual Revenue can't address data encryption for all customers. (WSP annual Revenue per Dunn & Bradstreet)

How many times have folks here received those letters or emails alerting us to data breaches from companies we do business with? I have lost track, and that's rather disturbing. Maybe more countries should follow in the foosteps of the GDPR.EU.

Couldn’t wait to cut my pull through soaps! They are so exciting & suspenseful to pour and cut!
76193B61-BF88-4285-9AF6-8D1C252C722C.jpeg
After my hazardous material clean up yesterday, I went outside to sit and collect myself and these beings scared the crap outta me! But after watching closely and preparing for attack I saw the cute little feathered babies!
7D06C452-2EFF-4F4A-A1E6-30F1DFF049EB.jpeg
Happy Mother’s Day!

These “high cost” are embarrassing marketing BS. A reputable company really should be ashamed of calling respectable treatment of their customer data “costly”. They're customers, not goods. If you don't intend to afford customer management, please don't start a business in the first place.
🤑🤮

These “high cost” are embarrassing marketing BS. A reputable company really should be ashamed of calling respectable treatment of their customer data “costly”. They're customers, not goods. If you don't intend to afford customer management, please don't start a business in the first place.
🤑🤮
Even more annoying are the ones that try to position it as some sort of moral stance and describe Europe as being unfriendly to business. This often from companies that position themselves as caring, ethical etc when it comes to other issues...

I made botanical colorant test bars yesterday using oil from a set of concentrated infusions I started back in March. Most of the colors look good, especially the alkanet, rhubarb root and paprika. I think I see blue peaking out under a grey surface in the indigo bars. My indigo powder is at least two years old now, so I thought it would be good to run it through a test again. It’s too early to take them out of the molds, plus I have a friend coming over today and I need to tidy up my house instead of thinking about soap!

I made botanical colorant test bars yesterday using oil from a set of concentrated infusions I started back in March. Most of the colors look good, especially the alkanet, rhubarb root and paprika. I think I see blue peaking out under a grey surface in the indigo bars. My indigo powder is at least two years old now, so I thought it would be good to run it through a test again. It’s too early to take them out of the molds, plus I have a friend coming over today and I need to tidy up my house instead of thinking about soap!
Any pics? 😁

Back