What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're all great but the green one in particular I keep looking at! It feels like it should clash, but then it doesn't, and the sharpness of the different greens is stunning. 👌
This is also both how I dress and interior design our house. I think it all reflects the inner-workings of my brain. 🤪

I have no words! Stunning! And how the heck did you yin and then yang??!!
Thanks, @Zing! It was not a peaceful process, let me tell you. Made the embeds using a column mold and a sheet of pliable plastic, of which I had to experiment with three different materials. Lots of wasted raw materials. Sadly, only a handful came out looking yinny and/or yangy. Embedded them into the red soap.

I'm still looking for the perfect material to take another crack at it.

Thanks, @Zing! It was not a peaceful process, let me tell you. Made the embeds using a column mold and a sheet of pliable plastic, of which I had to experiment with three different materials. Lots of wasted raw materials. Sadly, only a handful came out looking yinny and/or yangy. Embedded them into the red soap.

I'm still looking for the perfect material to take another crack at it.
Now my head hurts. :(

This is also both how I dress and interior design our house.
You dress like a glacier valley?
It was not a peaceful process, let me tell you. Made the embeds using a column mold
Ruined Lollipop swirl? 😜
Joke aside, I could imagine to first make two thin “inner inlay” columns in pure white/black: they then can hold an S-shaped plastic sheet in place, to fill the surrounding yin-yang “tails” (inside a larger circular mould) with a second batch of identically coloured soap. One step more (+ 2 days), yes, but arguably more consistent throughout the whole column, and no free-floating curved plastic.

I
Icould imagine to first make two thin “inner inlay” columns in pure white/black: they then can hold an S-shaped plastic sheet in place, to fill the surrounding yin-yang “tails” (inside a larger circular mould) with a second batch of identically coloured soap. One step more (+ 2 days), yes, but arguably more consistent throughout the whole column, and no free-floating curved plastic.
I was kind of thinking the same, but I wonder how well they would join? And there's potential risk for halo effects...

You dress like a glacier valley?

Ruined Lollipop swirl? 😜
Joke aside, I could imagine to first make two thin “inner inlay” columns in pure white/black: they then can hold an S-shaped plastic sheet in place, to fill the surrounding yin-yang “tails” (inside a larger circular mould) with a second batch of identically coloured soap. One step more (+ 2 days), yes, but arguably more consistent throughout the whole column, and no free-floating curved plastic.
Oh, I troubleshooted the heck out of the embed engineering. I even looking into buying and shaping stainless steel sheeting to shape into one half of the yin/yang, then piece them together and embed into the rectangular mold. I shaped the plastic into an "S" and poured the black and white into the column at the same time. Then I pulled the plastic sheet out carefully. The problem was that the AC in the black thickened up more than the TD in the white and when I pulled it out the white displaced the black.

Even thinking back on it is giving me mild PTSD... 👿

Yup, this is exactly what I did. I even watched this very same video as a guide. My plastic partition was not rigid enough. At least, that is what I figure.

I threw away the third bag of raw beef tallow. It was kept in a refrigerator and I kept an eye (in fact a nostril) on it to notice any smell of degrading traces of blood on it. I noticed none and prepared the table to start cutting it. It was only then I saw mould on the surface of chunks. What did I say to myself? I thanked Got I was freed of the chore and immediately decided that the couple of kilograms of fine rendered tallow in my refrigerator and a whole box of raw tallow in my freezer is quite enough for my soaping for several months if not even years.

IMG_20210505_101946_735.jpg

Back to Basics
Quick HP as son wanted Fyah soap for camping on weekend. So, hot process green tea Fyah (both green tea and matcha). Looks awful 😂😜🤣 but will serve it's purpose

(full of goodness) and that's the most important thing right?
Where can I learn more about these boxes for round flat soap?!

Fanfreakingtastic!!!
go to @ResolvableOwl 's profile. Look at their discussions started.
Here's a link Twist-close Hexagon (Baumkuchen) Box – concept/mockup

Last edited:
Hey @Juggsy - I'm pretty sure posts can only be deleted by Admins. Additionally, they can only be edited for a time - I have no idea what that time is, but the time to edit is limited. Start a conversation with an Admin to delete any of your posts. Or, like I think most of us do, edit the post and the just type "Deleted". Hope that helps!

Only just, I have updated my personal stock and recipe inventory, first time including quantities. Since last october, I'm making soap at a quite constant rate of 20 g/day (oil input). This is highly unsustainable!

In another, no less tedious self-monitoring experiment, I found that I'm using up soap at a rate of 0.5 g per hand washing or about 5 g per shower.

Clearly, showering four times and/or washing my hands 40 times a day is obviously a bad idea. But which alternatives do I have? Making less soap? :eek:

Only just, I have updated my personal stock and recipe inventory, first time including quantities. Since last october, I'm making soap at a quite constant rate of 20 g/day (oil input). This is highly unsustainable!

In another, no less tedious self-monitoring experiment, I found that I'm using up soap at a rate of 0.5 g per hand washing or about 5 g per shower.

Clearly, showering four times and/or washing my hands 40 times a day is obviously a bad idea. But which alternatives do I have? Making less soap? :eek:
Dear RO - Just get a bigger soap cupboard. 😁
No doubt, you remember this from @Tara_H in the "struggle" thread...

1620235961446.png

In soapy things today, I... ordered a new callipers and feeler gauges, so that I can make a new cross-cut sled for my table saw, so that I can make straight cuts at a right angle more easily, so that I can make a new box, so that I can make a silicone mould, so that I can make tall & skinny soaps that don't get stuck when I try to unmould them! <deep breath> and then I practiced lining the mould I have more effectively, as a fall back plan.

I also learned how to make lotions! Almost immediately followed by how to repair separated lotions! 🤣 but I think I have the hang of it now, and husband and I are both more moisturised than either of us have been in years.

1620243720761.png
1620243756130.png

In soapy things today, I... ordered a new callipers and feeler gauges, so that I can make a new cross-cut sled for my table saw, so that I can make straight cuts at a right angle more easily, so that I can make a new box, so that I can make a silicone mould, so that I can make tall & skinny soaps that don't get stuck when I try to unmould them! <deep breath> and then I practiced lining the mould I have more effectively, as a fall back plan.

I also learned how to make lotions! Almost immediately followed by how to repair separated lotions! 🤣 but I think I have the hang of it now, and husband and I are both more moisturised than either of us have been in years.

View attachment 56991 View attachment 56992
I think I need to order molds from you! Or...maybe it would be less expensive to just fly you and hubs over here.

I'm trying to stick to my intention of making a variety of basic soap recipes, and not get too distracted by fancy designs and ingredients! On that note, last night I made Zany's no slime Castile with the added coconut and castor oil, to compare to the 100% olive oil one I made a while ago.

I have been trying to make time to soap for a couple of weeks, so once my baby was in bed and my husband was out playing with his toys (hunting), I made myself do it even though I didn't feel up to it. I don't plan on doing that again 😅 it wasn't quite a disaster, but just enough kept going nearly wrong to put me off (including a dash over to my mother-in-law's house to grab extra olive oil after I'd already mixed my lye).

I poured in cavity molds because I couldn't be bothered to line my mold, and when I unmolded this morning, three of them had missing corners that were wet and zappy 😫 the rest are really pretty and simple though.

Attachments

• PXL_20210505_203831254.jpg
    PXL_20210505_203831254.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 13
Back