What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"And now that we're done cutting up the raw chicken, let's use this same knife to chop veggies for the salad!"
No kidding! When I'm cooking I like to clean as I go esp large meals like Thanksgiving. Keeps the whole area cleaner with multiple food prep. I was watching the video and like those people must never have been burnt by hot liquid soup or gravy or sauce. Way too much flinging going on.

No kidding! When I'm cooking I like to clean as I go esp large meals like Thanksgiving. Keeps the whole area cleaner with multiple food prep. I was watching the video and like those people must never have been burnt by hot liquid soup or gravy or sauce. Way too much flinging going on.
I'd be willing to bet that they don't actually cook their own food.

Ok, I couldn't get past the introduction. "The lye is used to make the soap harden" REALLY??? I can't watch this. I'm already in a bad mood LOL
Later on she says the FO is what makes it hard 🤣

I also made some science

The results of this test are incredible!

Photographed today in a brief pool of actual sunlight:
IMG_20210424_103453.jpg

Tame for the most part, but check out #5, green moss and ferns! That purple colour is entirely from the FO! o_O It started out with brown lumps within an hour or so of mixing, overnight the lumps turned to dark purple, which has been spreading through the soap ever since!

Last edited:
Tame for the most part, but check out #5, green moss and ferns! That purple colour is entirely from the FO! o_O It started out with brown lumps within an hour or so of mixing, overnight the lumps turned to dark purple, which has been spreading through the soap ever since!
Insider's tip for the next “Let's collect blueberries in the woods!” concept soap!

Later on she says the FO is what makes it hard 🤣

The results of this test are incredible!

Photographed today in a brief pool of actual sunlight:
View attachment 56441

I know you're in the UK, but which source was that FO from?

I've been rendering a portion of my beef tallow, refrigerating a major portion of raw tallow divided into smaller portions, refrigerating another portion while the last portion is waiting on a balcony. Unfortunately (for the task) the weather is quite warm.
I never realised fresh talow emanates such a pleasant fragrance when rendered. I guess it was absolutely fresh, I believe I got it within a few hours of butchering.

Watched this video this AM and it made me cringe...😬😬😬. So many things happening here that bothered me. #1 if you are going to swing that stick blender around like a baton, put on a pair of goggles!

omg... and then I went down the YT rabbit hole. Thanks for that JSG (Jersey Swirl Girl :)). I watched six Mama McBs videos on 2x speed. Talk about a fast ride. I’m absolutely reeling from watching the fast forward sections in fast forward.

I really wanted to make soap today, but I set my chores goal way to high! I was a pretend plumber and replaced two bathroom sink faucets and drains, tried to replace my broken shower knobs and re-sealed my kitchen sink drain! No leaks so far. I’m beat! And I still have my trail of messes to clean up. Then I’m going to go shower and try out the liquid shampoo and conditioner I made yesterday! Fingers crossed I like it as much as my solid bars. It’s more for the kids though. Lol!

I made unscented soap this morning with honey, aloe and liquid from oatmeal cooked in excess water. It’s a new twist on my soy wax recipe and I’m hoping for a very mild soap with plenty of bubbles even though I kept the CO low. The honey is from a friend’s bees and is fairly thin. I added it to the oils because the only other time I tried to make honey soap, I added it to the lye water and ended up with a ball of burnt honey. The soap gelled quickly, but did not overheat. Right now it smells lovely, like honey. I’m wondering if the scent will hold.

I made unscented soap this morning with honey, aloe and liquid from oatmeal cooked in excess water. It’s a new twist on my soy wax recipe and I’m hoping for a very mild soap with plenty of bubbles even though I kept the CO low. The honey is from a friend’s bees and is fairly thin. I added it to the oils because the only other time I tried to make honey soap, I added it to the lye water and ended up with a ball of burnt honey. The soap gelled quickly, but did not overheat. Right now it smells lovely, like honey. I’m wondering if the scent will hold.
Oh sounds lovely. I add honey to our regular family bars and the scent remains after 4 months, by the time we use the last bar. The scent does calm down pretty fast - by the end of a 4 week cure - but it does remain as a perhaps unidentifiable lovely sweetness, if that makes any sense.

Latest posts

Back