What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Catscankim - I found the instructions @Primrose provided for the Feb 2020 SMF Challenge, here, to be very helpful for getting the hang of hanger swirling. I also watched A LOT of Ione’s videos on YT.

Yes! This is what I studied along with videos to perfect my hanger swirl. Thank you @Primrose for the detailed instructions on this technique. Some day I want to make a video.

Just put my Latte Soap to bed CPOPing in the oven. The cafe latte from CC was nice to work with. Discolors to a nice brown, plus I soaped with coffee for the water.

The grinds from the K-cups make a nice scrubby without too much abrasion. The only color I used was TD on the top to make a "foam" on my latte. "What I would do differently" the next go round, is to add the coffee grinds to the bottoms only. I added to the main batter before splitting off, so now the foam has coffee grinds in to as well LOL..

Can't wait to cut.

Well, I was going to post this to my website to celebrate Earth Day today but I just looked at the last photo I took of this soap and it’s awful! Unfortunately, it’s dark and gloomy so I can’t rely on natural light to redo these. Really in need of some sort of studio lighting and a better setup.
16BCCD24-3C60-419B-9181-1BBA42A7BB8C.jpeg

Well, I was going to post this to my website to celebrate Earth Day today but I just looked at the last photo I took of this soap and it’s awful! Unfortunately, it’s dark and gloomy so I can’t rely on natural light to redo these. Really in need of some sort of studio lighting and a better setup. View attachment 56391
Awe that's so 😍

Some yay!

I cut the AWP and it's adorable and smells amazing (orange and frankincense, and cocoa butter in the batter, om nom nom.)
IMG_20210422_095531.jpg

Also some not so yay, after a 2 hour (!) lollipop attempt I realised when I stopped that the ache in my back had been distracting me from the itching on my hand... turns out I somehow got a hole in a glove at some point during the proceedings. I didn't even know the ring on that hand would come off, but it's amazing what you can do when you're motivated 😖

Worst part is I still don't think I got quite what I wanted from that pour - my old nemesis Jack frost came to visit and all my batter got sludgy - so I'll need to try again tomorrow!

Some yay!

Also some not so yay, after a 2 hour (!) lollipop attempt I realised when I stopped that the ache in my back had been distracting me from the itching on my hand... turns out I somehow got a hole in a glove at some point during the proceedings. I didn't even know the ring on that hand would come off, but it's amazing what you can do when you're motivated 😖
Ok, so the soap - absolutely adorable indeed! 🥰 So sorry about your hand/finger, and your lollipop pour. :confused:

I know I tried that stupid swirl maybe 8 times.. I lost count! Not once did it come out correctly! I do like the pour though... for some reason I found it calming! I kept trying because I love my new molds, experimenting with some "natural" colorants- I tried aloe vera powder today and finally I was testing out some of my new fragrance oils. I'm done making soap for a while, I ran out of room to cure and oils!
I had the same experience with the Circling Taiwan Swirl! I found the technique very calming and didn't even mind the celanup, but I sure couldn't get it right. Others were like, oh I made such a nice one on my first or second attempt. Well lah-tee-dah as I sat trying to figure out what to do better for my 7th (or whatever) attempt. 🤣

FOAMERS have arrived! Beware, dull and boring LS, you'll become a lather wonder all of a sudden!

foamer.jpg
The only downside is that I only have bought two of them, but modelling bubbly wobbly mountains of bright froth is SO MUCH FUN!!!!
First field test today in the shower. Wow! They're doing a great job when soap is diluted down from the wasteful doses of standard dispensers to more sensible concentrations. Great to save on soap? Yes, unless one decides to have fun with abundant lather 😍

Arghx! These poor white micas, where she goes in with the spoon that is still blue!
In the end, they stopped just in time before shaking hands with lye gloves still on.

As I was watching it I realized I had a look on my face that was a cross between smelling something terrible and experiencing pain. 😂😂😂

I finally got around to reworking my avatar soap! I like the top, but the base slab was beyond meh. Just pale greyish blue, no scent whatsoever, basically nothing going for it.

I planed off as much as I could then peeled and scraped off the rest until only the top pour remained.
IMG_20210423_103832.jpg IMG_20210423_111418.jpg
The remaining parts were pretty thin in places!

Then I poured a new base into a custom mould (cardboard box), duplicating the original colours as closely as I could. Unfortunately it was before I was keeping good notes on the quantities of mica, but I had at least recorded the names. Did a sort of choppy layers pour, sprayed the backs of the pared down tops with alcohol and scratched them up a bit, and reconstructed.
IMG_20210423_122006.jpg

Here they are newly cut, looking so much better, I can now rest easy on this account at least.
IMG_20210423_161108.jpg

Sweet Orange & Activated Charcoal yesterday and my original recipe with Nurture Somali Soul FO and Magic Mushroom Mica. I can't resist putting mica on tops of loaves.

Just put this baby to bed. A custom order for party favors. These are for the ladies. Black Raspberry Vanilla. Inside is a JGS. Now to make the guy‘s soaps.
View attachment 56410
What's a JGS?

Me too!. Who mixes dark to light?
When I see that sort of stuff I wonder how they are in their kitchen cooking.

Attachments

• 20210423_072410.jpg
    20210423_072410.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210423_174506.jpg
    20210423_174506.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 18
Back