What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, did a hanger swirl. I completely suck at hanger swirls. Does anybody know of a good tutorial for doing them? Every YT that I watch gets to the hanger...then they go through it super fast lol.
Right?! And no option for slow motion replay! What I like best is a drawing with arrows and/or a detailed narrative.

Right?! And no option for slow motion replay! What I like best is a drawing with arrows and/or a detailed narrative.
On many (not all, but lots of them) Youtube videos do have speed choices to slow down and to go faster. I use this feature frequently. Go to the gear icon, choose playback speed & then pick one.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it & what it looks like:

This. May. Be A. Game. Changer.
Right???? Thank you @earlene ❤❤❤

@Catscankim i use ylang ylang when I want to accelerate.
My fault for turning my back on it for a few minutes...but it was behaving so nicely, I actually considered popping the sb back in to the pots. But I hate doing that. Once I take the sb out, I don't want to put it back in unless completely necessary because I don't want to risk bubbles lol. So I figured I would let them come up to a thicker trace on their own. Mistake, but like I said, it didn't thicken to "emergency" mode, just "oh crap I gotta get this done now!" mode.

Here's the cut. Looks christmasy. Not my intention. I originally had a nice lavender color in mind, but then as I was going through my micas I saw Spicy Tomato and was like oooooOOOOOH. Love that color. So I changed my mind. Should have either went with my first plan, or just did the Spicy Tomato all by itself. The hanger swirl is pretty weak. I just don't get it lol. I think I should just not do them anymore. I always hate them when I do it. The green is gonna get more of a bright green with the cure. It is Andy the Money. It starts out looking like baby poo, but then gets green, which for me is hard when pouring because it looks so ugly and i can't figure out where it is going to look good, but I like the outcome of the final green.

ylang ylang honey.jpg

The hanger swirl is pretty weak. I just don't get it lol. I think I should just not do them anymore. I always hate them when I do it. The green is gonna get more of a bright green with the cure. It is Andy the Money. It starts out looking like baby poo, but then gets green, which for me is hard when pouring because it looks so ugly and i can't figure out where it is going to look good, but I like the outcome of the final green.
I have to agree with @Zing. I think the swirl looks very nice indeed. For what were you hoping, or what didn't you achieve?

On many (not all, but lots of them) Youtube videos do have speed choices to slow down and to go faster. I use this feature frequently. Go to the gear icon, choose playback speed & then pick one.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it & what it looks like:

Hahaa! I showed the kids how to do this to speed up their videos when they were doing online schooling! Never really thought about the benefits of slowing down until now!

Hahaa! I showed the kids how to do this to speed up their videos when they were doing online schooling! Never really thought about the benefits of slowing down until now!
I use slowing down when the closed captioning goes so quickly that I can't read it and I want to know what the words are (whether they are spoken or not - I can't always understand the person's voice.) I speed up for instructional videos that don't edit out the excessive set up or meandering stuff (like stick blending or time in the microwave); that sort of thing.

I regularly listen to audio books and the narrator of one book spoke soooooooo ssssslllllloooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyy that I found it difficult to focus. My hubby told me that I could change the speed and it changed how I listen to audio books entirely.

I made my final April Challenge soaps. They've gotten less "lollipop" with each iteration. My second attempt is still the better of the lot. I'm so over this design.

I made shampoo bars a few weeks ago and my testes have given positive feedback. I'm on my third washing using the bar and I'm really pleased with the results.

I regularly listen to audio books and the narrator of one book spoke soooooooo ssssslllllloooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyy that I found it difficult to focus. My hubby told me that I could change the speed and it changed how I listen to audio books entirely.

I made shampoo bars a few weeks ago and my testes have given positive feedback. I'm on my third washing using the bar and I'm really pleased with the results.

Um...I thought shampoo bars were for your head?

Sorry, the 12 year old boy in me could not resist.:rolleyes:

My soapy thing yesterday was cutting up bars from an older batch into guest-sized bars and putting them into drawstring bags with the ingredient labels. My friend fell in love with the recipe (high lard, long cure) and fragrance (Bora Bora from RE). She will be giving them as Mother's Day gifts to her employees at her daycare/preschool. I threw in some unscented bars from another batch just in case some of her employees need something without the smells.

My other kinda soapy thing was admiring (ok coveting) the stainless steel work tables that TSA has set up in the airports to help folks repack their bags and redress themselves after the screening process. Nothing against TSA but my thought was that soaping would be the highest and best use for those fine pieces of equipment.

Ooh, I also made some science with the help of my beautiful assistant (aka husband). Properly tested a set of the new FO by making 8 bar-sized pours, adding FO to each, and tracking how they moved through trace. (Following I Dream In Soap video, and thank you to the person who pointed me at them who I've had a little too much wine to recall right now)

Many unexpected results and some unfortunate ones (the frankincense accelerates madly 😭 and the green moss & fern goes all brown and lumpy 🤨 But the honeysuckle and jasmine behaved very properly 😁) and the most interesting outcome of all was the control bar, which was liquid not only until the half hour of stirring was up, but also after a subsequent hour of CPOP it was still pourable!

IMG_20210421_173830.jpg

(After half an hour)

I made my final April Challenge soaps. They've gotten less "lollipop" with each iteration. My second attempt is still the better of the lot. I'm so over this design.
I know I tried that stupid swirl maybe 8 times.. I lost count! Not once did it come out correctly! I do like the pour though... for some reason I found it calming! I kept trying because I love my new molds, experimenting with some "natural" colorants- I tried aloe vera powder today and finally I was testing out some of my new fragrance oils. I'm done making soap for a while, I ran out of room to cure and oils!

Back