What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel amazing today and hope you feel better tomorrow!😘
Thank you! I’m feeling MUCH better today!

(I got Moderna too. I heard this morning that those who got the Pfizer one may need a booster in the future....so at least we can [hopefully] say we’re done!)

No soap making today! Almost finished processing the fat though... By the time 6pm hit, the beer had arrived so I'm not doing anything more this evening that involves gallons of boiling oil, or mixing lye.

I did do some planing and tidying, and I cut my experimental pour. I have a notion about how That Soap from the browsing thread was done, and I wanted to see if I could figure it out. I couldn't find any evidence that it's been replicated yet and of course I love a challenge! Plus if I'm right it involves a specific gadget which of course I happen to have 🤣

I didn't get the result, but what I did get leads me to believe I'm on the right track, although I think the original was made using a bigger gadget than the one I have 😲

(And a much steadier hand)
IMG_20210415_203437.jpgIMG_20210416_110915.jpgIMG_20210416_110925.jpg

No soap making today! Almost finished processing the fat though... By the time 6pm hit, the beer had arrived so I'm not doing anything more this evening that involves gallons of boiling oil, or mixing lye.

I did do some planing and tidying, and I cut my experimental pour. I have a notion about how That Soap from the browsing thread was done, and I wanted to see if I could figure it out. I couldn't find any evidence that it's been replicated yet and of course I love a challenge! Plus if I'm right it involves a specific gadget which of course I happen to have 🤣

I didn't get the result, but what I did get leads me to believe I'm on the right track, although I think the original was made using a bigger gadget than the one I have 😲

View attachment 56139View attachment 56140View attachment 56141
The original looks like a 2-color dancing funnel pour.

View attachment 56139View attachment 56140View attachment 56141
It (the soap you linked to) looks very similar to a dancing funnel pour. See Love Affair in this link: Dancing Funnel Link-Ups

In fact, it is a dancing funnel pour. See this link also: 77 Soap Swirl Technique: Dancing Funnel Swirls ideas | swirl soap, soap, home made soap

ETA: I did not see GemstonePony's post (busy trying to find Anna Soap before posting this.)

It (the soap you linked to) looks very similar to a dancing funnel pour. See Love Affair in this link: Dancing Funnel Link-Ups

In fact, it is a dancing funnel pour. See this link also: 77 Soap Swirl Technique: Dancing Funnel Swirls ideas | swirl soap, soap, home made soap

ETA: I did not see GemstonePony's post (busy trying to find Anna Soap before posting this.)
Some of those do look pretty similar! The part that still seems to be missing is the shape of the blobs, and the pattern on the sides. Which is where the gadget aspect comes in.
But yes strictly speaking I guess what I did would also be the same technique :)

Edit: here is the page it's from 안나솝

Some of those do look pretty similar! The part that still seems to be missing is the shape of the blobs, and the pattern on the sides. Which is where the gadget aspect comes in.
But yes strictly speaking I guess what I did would also be the same technique :)

Thanks, I couldn't find the original. I still believe it's a dancing funnel pour. The design can look very different depending on how fluid the batter is and how one pours it. In this case, I'd say very thin batter and very precise pouring technique, with a very steady hand.

The pattern on the sides can change with the technique of the pour as well as the thickness of the batter. She may have poured specifically in a sort of oblong-shaped dot as opposed to circular dot. That would be my guess.

The other alternative, I'd say would be a pull-through with a net, but I don't think that kind of uniformity is as easily obtained with a net pull-through. (I've done one with a net & it doesn't even come close.) It might be possible with a rigid-net-shaped tool, but I doubt it would come out looking quite like that.

That was quite a controversial soap at the time, with some convinced that it was photoshopped, or a layer of soap wrapped around another bar. I don’t think I’ve seen another one quite like it in all my travels.

I’m laid out from my second COVID sho
Thank you! I’m feeling MUCH better today!
So glad you're feeling better. I'm a bit nervous about getting my second dose. I got the Moderna and I had an immense headache for 2 days (I don't normally get headaches), and my arm was practically immovable (immobile?) for the day after. I think I will just take the day following my second dose to be on the safe side - and if it happens that I'm fine, then I will make soap or something!

My soapy things: I made a batch of OMH Blueberry which has piped roses and leaves and blueberry embeds on it. This is the second time I've made this soap and it went much better this time. I'm getting better at piping leaves, and realizing that I need to pipe twice as many as I actually think I need because I will inevitably lose some during unmolding, cutting, and stamping the bars.

I made lye for the last two soaps that will hopefully have me fully stocked to get through the summer and those will get made this weekend. I'm also planning out my lollipop soap for the challenge and will get that made this weekend.

Also on my weekend list is to take pictures of the soaps on my cure rack 'cuz I feel like I do a lot of telling and not enough showing on this thread. :)

That was quite a controversial soap at the time, with some convinced that it was photoshopped, or a layer of soap wrapped around another bar. I don’t think I’ve seen another one quite like it in all my travels.
Yes, I read through that whole thread, all the speculations were very interesting! For what it's worth, my theory is that it is indeed 'all in the pour' as I believe she stated, but that she used a device like this to pour all of the blobs at the same time so that they didn't have the opportunity to become circular:
http://www.labcompare.com/1488-Pipets-Pipettor/42555-VIAFLO-96-384-Channel-Handheld-Pipette/I have a hobby version which only holds a very small amount so I couldn't test very well, but the results didn't put me off this theory.
I still can't explain the pattern on the sides but I'm curious as to whether that can be achieved by offsetting the device diagonally for alternating pours 🤔

View attachment 56139
....for a hot second there I seriously thought you'd purchased an octopus and were going to somehow try to render its fat... 🤣 🤣
What can I say. It's been a long day!

So glad you're feeling better. I'm a bit nervous about getting my second dose. I got the Moderna and I had an immense headache for 2 days (I don't normally get headaches), and my arm was practically immovable (immobile?) for the day after. I think I will just take the day following my second dose to be on the safe side - and if it happens that I'm fine, then I will make soap or something!
Thank you! AFTER I got back to work today, my physician-assistant-to-be coworker suggested that I should’ve premeded (Tylenol or Advil) before symptoms set in....didn’t think of that. I’m not qualified to give out medical advice, but I wish I’d done that.

You’ll be ok...it was a rough day for me yesterday, but today I felt great and now I’m vaccinated! You can get through it....like you mentioned, just don’t make any plans for the next day and take care of you!

I have a hobby version which only holds a very small amount so I couldn't test very well, but the results didn't put me off this theory.
I validated one of these bad boys once upon a time. The thought of using it in soap makes this lab geek go 😍😍😍😍

Attachments

• C4B417C7-ABDF-4F31-A952-E6CD16E37EDA.jpeg
    C4B417C7-ABDF-4F31-A952-E6CD16E37EDA.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 4
Yes, I read through that whole thread, all the speculations were very interesting! For what it's worth, my theory is that it is indeed 'all in the pour' as I believe she stated, but that she used a device like this to pour all of the blobs at the same time so that they didn't have the opportunity to become circular:
http://www.labcompare.com/1488-Pipets-Pipettor/42555-VIAFLO-96-384-Channel-Handheld-Pipette/I have a hobby version which only holds a very small amount so I couldn't test very well, but the results didn't put me off this theory.
I still can't explain the pattern on the sides but I'm curious as to whether that can be achieved by offsetting the device diagonally for alternating pours 🤔
Do you pipette for a hobby? 😎

I ordered a bunch of bath bomb molds, one of which is a doggy butt. Cant remember who posted the duck butt but it inspired me to buy a silly bath bomb mold.
I have some exciting personal news. I got a job! It’s not along my career track but I e of my good friends own a wine bar and their chef needs help in the kitchen. I’m enormously flattered to be asked to help in the kitchen. I’m a pretty accomplished cook and am actually REALLY excited. I’ve been unemployed for over a year and have been in an awful mental funk.

As a bonus, my daughter works there and she’s the one who told them to ask me. So not only do I get to work with amazing friends but also my daughter. And being a bit more active and away from my own pantry/fridge will help me work off my COVID flub. 🤣😂
That was me and I cant wait to see your dog butt!! 🤣

That was me yesterday, 2nd Moderna vaccine and 2nd time reacting... 😫 UGH... But I did use the down time to get my line of scrubs listed on my website 😀 I feel amazing today and hope you feel better tomorrow!😘
J&J hit me much harder than expected. 4 days of nausea and headache and 7 days of heavy fatigue. Hence why I havent been here much. Better now though

Okay, to keep this thread somewhat on topic, I washed my hands with soap, like a million times today.

Every single person I know that has gotten 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine -- except for me because I must be exceptional -- has had a bad reaction the next day lasting 24 hours. In addition to taking ibuprofen or tylenol before your shot, ask to get the shot in your dominant arm. Movement helps to heal faster and your dominant arm is more active.
I could've kissed the nurses that gave me shots. After always being in public and dreading becoming an unknown spreader to my family, I felt concrete weights lifting off my shoulders.
Stay safe, soapy friends!

Latest posts

Back