What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 55935View attachment 55937
This is supposed to be a formal living room at the front of the house, but it will be our exercise/soap supply room instead. My sweet hubby is already talking about making me a fold-down table that could go on one wall, so I could actually soap in here instead of lugging everything around the corner to the kitchen, and then back again when I'm done. Not gonna turn that down if he's up for it!
Looking good! My workout area and soaping area reside in the same general space in my garage. In fact, I often mb my lye solution and oils in between sets of my workout. The truth is that I sometimes tell my hubby that I’m going out to the garage to workout but I’m actually planning to make soap. 😜

Last edited:
Well, hello there.
The FO made some weird bumps that smoothed out w my finger. I imagine they’ll reabsorb over the cure. The details in this plate, when I can get the batter right, aremy super fave!!
Mostly well behave FO Somali Soul from NS.
Oh that's gorgeous! I have Somali otw, how do you like it?

Made my first batch of hot process soap today. Not an ideal recipe as I have recently found, but a learner batch it will be. Got it molded up in my pringles can waiting for tomorrow to see how it turned out. Made a few mistakes, number one of which was taking my eye off the crock pot as the second I turned to clean my stick blender the thing overflowed. Thankfully I caught it quick and was able to catch most of the overflow. There's gonna be a lot of notes to write down tomorrow and definitely a search is going to be on for a more stout silicon spatula and decently priced load mold. Pics manana.

I ordered a bunch of bath bomb molds, one of which is a doggy butt. Cant remember who posted the duck butt but it inspired me to buy a silly bath bomb mold.
I have some exciting personal news. I got a job! It’s not along my career track but I e of my good friends own a wine bar and their chef needs help in the kitchen. I’m enormously flattered to be asked to help in the kitchen. I’m a pretty accomplished cook and am actually REALLY excited. I’ve been unemployed for over a year and have been in an awful mental funk.

As a bonus, my daughter works there and she’s the one who told them to ask me. So not only do I get to work with amazing friends but also my daughter. And being a bit more active and away from my own pantry/fridge will help me work off my COVID flub. 🤣😂

Baseboards were finished today, so I finally got to unpack all the soapy things into their cabinets. Well, "all" meaning everything except the two 50lb buckets of oils, two large bags of baking soda, and one large bag of Epsom salt in the pantry, and the large box and small bag of lotion and potion containers in the my office closet. 🤣

Anyway, I'm excited to have everything organized and ready to soap. But I still have lots more putting away to do before I wouldn't feel too distracted to soap. Normally I'm fully unpacked and set up within days of a move, but so much had to wait until the flooring and baseboards were done, in order for things to be put into closets, etc.

So until soaping can happen, here are some soap cabinet pics for fun!

View attachment 55935View attachment 55937
This is supposed to be a formal living room at the front of the house, but it will be our exercise/soap supply room instead. My sweet hubby is already talking about making me a fold-down table that could go on one wall, so I could actually soap in here instead of lugging everything around the corner to the kitchen, and then back again when I'm done. Not gonna turn that down if he's up for it!
Looks really nice, isn't it a great feeling being organized & every thing nice a new?.

I ordered a bunch of bath bomb molds, one of which is a doggy butt. Cant remember who posted the duck butt but it inspired me to buy a silly bath bomb mold.
I have some exciting personal news. I got a job! It’s not along my career track but I e of my good friends own a wine bar and their chef needs help in the kitchen. I’m enormously flattered to be asked to help in the kitchen. I’m a pretty accomplished cook and am actually REALLY excited. I’ve been unemployed for over a year and have been in an awful mental funk.

As a bonus, my daughter works there and she’s the one who told them to ask me. So not only do I get to work with amazing friends but also my daughter. And being a bit more active and away from my own pantry/fridge will help me work off my COVID flub. 🤣😂
Congratulations! That's exciting news. 😁

Finally broke through my funk and made some soap. Still in a funk, but at least I was productive. Hopefully the cuts will be fun!
Attempted 4 pull throughs. FOs are still new for me. So, I was seeing if they would work in my tried and true pull through recipe and process. Two of the FO worked well, and two accelerated. One of the accelerated ones still managed a kind of a pull through, the other one my disc broke and I had to dump it in a loaf. It still smells great! I’m soaping at 90. I haven’t tried to soap cooler. Maybe I will. It makes me nervous.
Giants (baseball) colors!
Oooh beautiful soaps. Glad your out of your funk' its so draining. 🤗💫

Congratulations! That's exciting news. 😁
Thank you! It’s not a permanent arrangement but they need help and at least I’ll be making some money until I land my dream job. Or maybe I’ll enjoy it so much that I join them full time. I’ve learned to just roll with it. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the last year+ is that anything can happen. If an opportunity comes knocking, it’s best to answer the door.

Photographed my Mother’s Day soaps today. Rose Garden (WSP), a light, realistic rose scent, Freshly Zested Lemon (WSP). Just recently got this FO and I love love love it!
8F555D45-52BE-4CD2-A80C-22B0A1695EA8.jpeg
Hope it sticks, and Lilac (NG) smells like the real thing!

Well, I've spent most of the weekend processing fat!

I found the easiest way to get it chopped finely was to freeze the sliced lumps and then run them through the grater attachment on the food processor, so basically my kitchen looked like that scene from Fargo for a lot of the day!

I did actually find time to make some soap too - I finally did a successful pull-through! 😄

This is about my 3rd or 4th attempt, and the first one that doesn't basically look like blobs. There's no stopping me now!
IMG_20210411_181845.jpg

Although I was then brought back down to earth a bit - I wanted to make another batch of ZNSC, and I thought I'd split out some batter to colour with natural infusions, since I seemed to remember it being slow to trace last time.... NOPE! Traced like a runaway train 😆

But I stubbornly persisted, took out the dividers and piled the batter up in stripes, then pulled a popsicle stick through in Taiwan swirl motion.

Much banging and jiggling later it actually looks kind of not bad... Will be very curious to see how it comes out. Now to go re-read my notes about the trace 🤔

IMG_20210411_192420.jpg

Well, I've spent most of the weekend processing fat!

I found the easiest way to get it chopped finely was to freeze the sliced lumps and then run them through the grater attachment on the food processor, so basically my kitchen looked like that scene from Fargo for a lot of the day!

I did actually find time to make some soap too - I finally did a successful pull-through! 😄

This is about my 3rd or 4th attempt, and the first one that doesn't basically look like blobs. There's no stopping me now!
View attachment 55992

Although I was then brought back down to earth a bit - I wanted to make another batch of ZNSC, and I thought I'd split out some batter to colour with natural infusions, since I seemed to remember it being slow to trace last time.... NOPE! Traced like a runaway train 😆

But I stubbornly persisted, took out the dividers and piled the batter up in stripes, then pulled a popsicle stick through in Taiwan swirl motion.

Much banging and jiggling later it actually looks kind of not bad... Will be very curious to see how it comes out. Now to go re-read my notes about the trace 🤔

View attachment 55993
Love those colors and that pull-through is indeed fantasticooo! I bet the taiwan swirl is going to turn out fab too.

Photographed my Mother’s Day soaps today. Rose Garden (WSP), a light, realistic rose scent, Freshly Zested Lemon (WSP). Just recently got this FO and I love love love it! View attachment 55989Hope it sticks, and Lilac (NG) smells like the real thing!

Those are beautiful soaps! I'm wondering how you did the 2 sides... 🤔

I really love your staging and photography too, not easy to get them looking so professional...

Photographed my Mother’s Day soaps today. Rose Garden (WSP), a light, realistic rose scent, Freshly Zested Lemon (WSP). Just recently got this FO and I love love love it! View attachment 55989Hope it sticks, and Lilac (NG) smells like the real thing!
I just got the Rose Garden from WSP but haven't used it yet. It smells great OOB and says it behaves well in CP soap.

Those are beautiful soaps! I'm wondering how you did the 2 sides... 🤔

I really love your staging and photography too, not easy to get them looking so professional...

Thank you! I got the idea from @Mobjack Bay (thank you for the great idea @Mobjack Bay ) and used my Nurture mold with dividers. Did an ITPS in one third and the confetti layer in the other.

I just got the Rose Garden from WSP but haven't used it yet. It smells great OOB and says it behaves well in CP soap.

I had absolutely no problems with it and I use mostly hard oils. I don’t like rose scents, but this one is making me a convert. Lol

Back