What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1st pot in pot swirl- I cut this am and it was a little " sweaty"? My kitchen was a tad warmer than usual. I spritzed it with rubbing alcohol and put in front of a fan. Anything else I should do or look for?

Attachments

• 20210409_072420.jpg
    20210409_072420.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 14
Phew! Finally found the energy to make a tester batch that I've wanted to make for ages. Split the batter at just past emulsion (also testing a new 50% lard recipe, it didn't trace quickly at all, which I was hoping for...) into 5 separate jugs, each with enough for one bar in a bar mould, to test 5 different fragrances.

Surprisingly, the only one which seemed to accelerate *at all* was the vanilla, and even that wasn't very fast... We shall now wait to see which of them discolour, and how much. The ones with vanilla in the name almost certainly will, but I'm not sure about the others.

The last little bit in the bowl was scented with the one I liked best otb, and poured into 2.5 small paw print moulds. 😊

Baseboards were finished today, so I finally got to unpack all the soapy things into their cabinets. Well, "all" meaning everything except the two 50lb buckets of oils, two large bags of baking soda, and one large bag of Epsom salt in the pantry, and the large box and small bag of lotion and potion containers in the my office closet. 🤣

Anyway, I'm excited to have everything organized and ready to soap. But I still have lots more putting away to do before I wouldn't feel too distracted to soap. Normally I'm fully unpacked and set up within days of a move, but so much had to wait until the flooring and baseboards were done, in order for things to be put into closets, etc.

So until soaping can happen, here are some soap cabinet pics for fun!

IMG_1314.JPGIMG_1313.JPG
This is supposed to be a formal living room at the front of the house, but it will be our exercise/soap supply room instead. My sweet hubby is already talking about making me a fold-down table that could go on one wall, so I could actually soap in here instead of lugging everything around the corner to the kitchen, and then back again when I'm done. Not gonna turn that down if he's up for it!

Well, hello there.
The FO made some weird bumps that smoothed out w my finger. I imagine they’ll reabsorb over the cure. The details in this plate, when I can get the batter right, aremy super fave!!
Mostly well behave FO Somali Soul from NS.

Attachments

• 35EFEF4B-C19E-4A8B-A919-BC5F3B01F3B3.jpeg
    35EFEF4B-C19E-4A8B-A919-BC5F3B01F3B3.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DB96B4F4-F1F7-4EF9-A158-487963BFEE32.jpeg
    DB96B4F4-F1F7-4EF9-A158-487963BFEE32.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 25
  • E80283A8-E0BA-448D-9251-17875326B9D6.jpeg
    E80283A8-E0BA-448D-9251-17875326B9D6.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 24
Well, hello there.
The FO made some weird bumps that smoothed out w my finger. I imagine they’ll reabsorb over the cure. The details in this plate, when I can get the batter right, aremy super fave!!
These are so stunning!! Where did you get the pull through plate?

The soapamine (dopamine) rush is real! This strawberry shortcake batch accelerated so much I pulled an arm muscle squeezing the bottles into the colum. For sure this one would be a disaster! And while some are wonky and lumpy, they’re still cute as heck! And they smell like strawberries!!!
Maybe with some strategy I can get these FOsto work with this technique. Either way, I’m feeling a lot better.
Does soap making for real have all life’s lessons, or what?!! I love this group, and making soap. Hard times, this too shall pass.

Attachments

• 87659421-3023-4755-9C75-17568B55BBF1.jpeg
    87659421-3023-4755-9C75-17568B55BBF1.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 26
  • B8C72E87-0824-4000-BF4B-59CE183E307D.jpeg
    B8C72E87-0824-4000-BF4B-59CE183E307D.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 25
  • FE36DC88-B0B0-4120-A2E2-210E7E45E9FD.jpeg
    FE36DC88-B0B0-4120-A2E2-210E7E45E9FD.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 29
The soapamine (dopamine) rush is real! This strawberry shortcake batch accelerated so much I pulled an arm muscle squeezing the bottles into the colum. For sure this one would be a disaster! And while some are wonky and lumpy, they’re still cute as heck! And they smell like strawberries!!!
Maybe with some strategy I can get these FOsto work with this technique. Either way, I’m feeling a lot better.
Does soap making for real have all life’s lessons, or what?!! I love this group, and making soap. Hard times, this too shall pass.
All gorgeous, Tasha! And while Strawberry Shortcake isn't as uniform, it has sort of a folk-art charm to it.

Well, hello there.
WOWOWOWOWOW!! Those are gorgeous! I've never seen such fine definition in a pull through. Nicely done, lady!

ETA: I spoke too soon. All of them are just lovely!

Thanks frenz!
And for the first time I had a pull through go so wrong (the disc broke) that I scraped it out of the pvc column mold and into a loaf. In hind sight, I could have left it in the column, and just had stripes. But I do love how it turned out. And, in soaping style, I probably couldn’t do this again if I tried!
What is it called? Fallen column swirl?

Attachments

• B46B39FB-6A0E-43B9-BA89-E3E55B0B7343.jpeg
    B46B39FB-6A0E-43B9-BA89-E3E55B0B7343.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 29
Baseboards were finished today, so I finally got to unpack all the soapy things into their cabinets. Well, "all" meaning everything except the two 50lb buckets of oils, two large bags of baking soda, and one large bag of Epsom salt in the pantry, and the large box and small bag of lotion and potion containers in the my office closet. 🤣

Anyway, I'm excited to have everything organized and ready to soap. But I still have lots more putting away to do before I wouldn't feel too distracted to soap. Normally I'm fully unpacked and set up within days of a move, but so much had to wait until the flooring and baseboards were done, in order for things to be put into closets, etc.

So until soaping can happen, here are some soap cabinet pics for fun!

View attachment 55935View attachment 55937
This is supposed to be a formal living room at the front of the house, but it will be our exercise/soap supply room instead. My sweet hubby is already talking about making me a fold-down table that could go on one wall, so I could actually soap in here instead of lugging everything around the corner to the kitchen, and then back again when I'm done. Not gonna turn that down if he's up for it!

Organized soaping supplies are a glorious thing to behold. 😂😂😂

What a nice room and what a sweet offer from hubby!

Unmoulded my test batch, probably a little soon. Didn't want to colour the batter but did want some difference between the scents to tell them apart easily while curing, so brushed a little mica into the mould. I've scratched a note on the back of each bar too, so I don't have to remember what each colour represents.

Just for fun, I popped a little vanilla batter into the details on 2 of the paw prints then filled them with a floral scent that I was testing for acceleration. The toe bits are already slightly darker. I'm excited to see how these age...

IMG_20210410_113350__01.jpg

Unmoulded my test batch, probably a little soon. Didn't want to colour the batter but did want some difference between the scents to tell them apart easily while curing, so brushed a little mica into the mould. I've scratched a note on the back of each bar too, so I don't have to remember what each colour represents.

Just for fun, I popped a little vanilla batter into the details on 2 of the paw prints then filled them with a floral scent that I was testing for acceleration. The toe bits are already slightly darker. I'm excited to see how these age...

View attachment 55958
😍 Beautiful

View attachment 55958
I love the effect of the mica brushed in the moulds! Quite unusual :)

And I bet the vanilla toe beans will be adorable 😍

I love the effect of the mica brushed in the moulds! Quite unusual :)

And I bet the vanilla toe beans will be adorable 😍

Thank you, my friend says it looks kind of vintage and quirky. I'm not sure how it'll react the first time it's used - might need to "wash" the soap before actually using it in the shower. 🤔

The paw mould arrived recently and I just couldn't resist using it. Might have to make up a small batch soon just to use it again, and pop a different colour in the details this time...
I think a couple in an organza bag will be good for little "just because" gifts, especially for the other fosters and volunteers at the animal charity I foster with.

I told my guy the other day, if he starts talking to me about model numbers and specs of servers again, I'm going to start quoting fatty acids profiles at him!

I think he got the point 🤣 🤣

ETA: in soapy news, I made no soap yesterday at all, and I've made none today yet either :eek:

I have, however, inventoried all of my stuff and put it into SM3 so I can be embarrassed about how much I've spent on it lately 🤭

I've planned out a masterbatch of oils and I'm very excited in anticipation of getting a big box of fat tomorrow. I hope the butcher hasn't forgotten!! 🤞
I am inventorying my stuff in SM3 too! It’s helping me figure my costs👍🏼😳

Latest posts

Back