What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the vaccine and had a few more side effects than expected so the only soapy thing I did this week is buy a Cricut to make some specialty boxes for some of my products and some insert cards for orders
Take heart in that the side effects are very temporary. I wasn't gonna get it, despite my line of work. The most I had was flu-like symptoms and a lump (lymph node) in my armpit near my breast...which don't get me wrong, it freaked me out. It went away. Side effects mean that your body is doing its job.

I felt like crap for about a week. You will feel better...

:nonono: Noooo! There's still time for you to turn back!! I'm warning you, one hit and you are hooked for life. Soon you'll find yourself realizing it's dawn and that you replaced a night's sleep with YouTube soaping videos, forcing your family to smell every possible EO combination, clicking 'submit cart' that's overflowing. Er, I mean, so I've heard....
In other words welcome to the cult... I mean club...

Just started my soaping adventure by getting the things I need. 2 plastic pitchers, lye, stick blender, EOs, measuring cups. Everything else I have already. Can't wait! Super happy my local hardware store has lye and CHEAP.
Pretty soon you'll be buying 50 lbs of tallow, a $300 shrink wrap system, and more shelving units than you have room for. Its a slippery slope.. Have someone change your Amazon password STAT

Last edited:
Finally broke through my funk and made some soap. Still in a funk, but at least I was productive. Hopefully the cuts will be fun!
Attempted 4 pull throughs. FOs are still new for me. So, I was seeing if they would work in my tried and true pull through recipe and process. Two of the FO worked well, and two accelerated. One of the accelerated ones still managed a kind of a pull through, the other one my disc broke and I had to dump it in a loaf. It still smells great! I’m soaping at 90. I haven’t tried to soap cooler. Maybe I will. It makes me nervous.
Giants (baseball) colors!

Attachments

• 76BBCFA5-1196-4403-BC91-7E1A34D24A1A.jpeg
    76BBCFA5-1196-4403-BC91-7E1A34D24A1A.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 58B3E216-06FA-41E3-A97A-87A42282355F.jpeg
    58B3E216-06FA-41E3-A97A-87A42282355F.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
:nonono: Noooo! There's still time for you to turn back!! I'm warning you, one hit and you are hooked for life. Soon you'll find yourself realizing it's dawn and that you replaced a night's sleep with YouTube soaping videos, forcing your family to smell every possible EO combination, clicking 'submit cart' that's overflowing. Er, I mean, so I've heard....

Simply reading recipes and perusing the forum has already hooked me. Maybe it's a contact high-heavily considered grabbing 32 lbs of lye from Essential Depot for nearly $2 a pound shipped? And my 1 lb bottle from Ace costs $4??? I mean it's a no brainer! I set my bergamot EO down to regain my senses...but it's only a matter of time.

Simply reading recipes and perusing the forum has already hooked me. Maybe it's a contact high-heavily considered grabbing 32 lbs of lye from Essential Depot for nearly $2 a pound shipped? And my 1 lb bottle from Ace costs $4??? I mean it's a no brainer! I set my bergamot EO down to regain my senses...but it's only a matter of time.
Of course you won't be as foolish as me and peruse the shaving soap or syndet shampoo areas of the forum.. it's a slippery s(l)oap. (Excuse my humour!)

Of course you won't be as foolish as me and peruse the shaving soap or syndet shampoo areas of the forum.. it's a slippery s(l)oap. (Excuse my humour!)

Sydney shampoo......I've never heard of such a thing....you guys make shampoo too?! What the heck have I got myself into?

I bought that much lye from Essential Depot last year and now I only have a few bottles left! It truly is an addiction but it's so fun!!!

Sydney shampoo......I've never heard of such a thing....you guys make shampoo too?! What the heck have I got myself into?
"Syndet" is short for "synthetic detergent". It is what shampoo is made of because you can make products with the ideal pH for hair. Soap has a minimum pH of about 9, which is far too high for hair. So we make shampoo bars out of syndets and the pH is between 4.5 and 5.5. There are threads in the Bath and Body area of the forum if you want to learn more.

I made soap! I’m only doing about one batch per week at present. This is mango and pineapple:
View attachment 55445

First rule of soap making club - never tell everyone what you had planned because they like it anyway, just as it is. You may be disappointed but everyone else thinks it's wonderful!
I think it is quite pretty. Haven't done any soap, few problems with my stupid lip, all is getting well except for my temper!

"Syndet" is short for "synthetic detergent". It is what shampoo is made of because you can make products with the ideal pH for hair. Soap has a minimum pH of about 9, which is far too high for hair. So we make shampoo bars out of syndets and the pH is between 4.5 and 5.5. There are threads in the Bath and Body area of the forum if you want to learn more.
Interesting, thanks for the explanation. :)

Finally broke through my funk and made some soap. Still in a funk, but at least I was productive. Hopefully the cuts will be fun!
Attempted 4 pull throughs. FOs are still new for me. So, I was seeing if they would work in my tried and true pull through recipe and process. Two of the FO worked well, and two accelerated. One of the accelerated ones still managed a kind of a pull through, the other one my disc broke and I had to dump it in a loaf. It still smells great! I’m soaping at 90. I haven’t tried to soap cooler. Maybe I will. It makes me nervous.
Giants (baseball) colors!

That is beautiful, have never seen these kind of designs before. :)

Last edited:
I think men must be taking notes from each other, because mine says the exact same thing.

I don't have a bloke of my own (thank goodness, because I really don't understand them), but our single male friend bought a house a few doors down from us, so we see him a lot. He has the same reaction when I show him soap! 😆

I don't quite know how to react to his many Warhammer figures that he paints though, so I think we're even!

Some shows/events are "juried" meaning they want to see pics of your products and possibly your booth set up before they accept you. A lot of shows will also have limits on how many types of products they will allow so one area doesn't becomes over saturated. Once a product type gets "full" (like soap/jewelry/pottery) they may not accept any more applications.
Some juried events also require samples of your product.

I don't quite know how to react to his many Warhammer figures that he paints though, so I think we're even!
I told my guy the other day, if he starts talking to me about model numbers and specs of servers again, I'm going to start quoting fatty acids profiles at him!

I think he got the point 🤣 🤣

ETA: in soapy news, I made no soap yesterday at all, and I've made none today yet either :eek:

I have, however, inventoried all of my stuff and put it into SM3 so I can be embarrassed about how much I've spent on it lately 🤭

I've planned out a masterbatch of oils and I'm very excited in anticipation of getting a big box of fat tomorrow. I hope the butcher hasn't forgotten!! 🤞

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back