What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My individual moulds arrived today so I tried salt bars. I thought I was prepared for them getting thick super fast. I was not prepared. I got it to emulsion, turned around to put the SB in the sink, turned back - bam, it's too thick to pour šŸ¤Ø

Still made some decent bars, I think. I blobbed it into the moulds, put some blue mica in oil on top and poked it with my gloved fingers to encourage it into the corners and make an interesting looking top (since smooth was out of the question).

Took an interlude for a challenge attempt and by the time I was done the salt bars were wanting to come out!
IMG_20210407_160152.jpg

I won't post the challenge attempt since it may actually be The One if it makes it through to cutting. If I tell you it took about an hour just for the pouring part and then the door fell off the oven when I put it to CPOP you'll have some idea of what that was like... But somehow the batter stayed fluid right til the bitter end, I managed to balance the colours just about right, and I didn't knock anything over! So fingers crossed...

My individual moulds arrived today so I tried salt bars. I thought I was prepared for them getting thick super fast. I was not prepared. I got it to emulsion, turned around to put the SB in the sink, turned back - bam, it's too thick to pour šŸ¤Ø

Still made some decent bars, I think. I blobbed it into the moulds, put some blue mica in oil on top and poked it with my gloved fingers to encourage it into the corners and make an interesting looking top (since smooth was out of the question).

Took an interlude for a challenge attempt and by the time I was done the salt bars were wanting to come out!

I won't post the challenge attempt since it may actually be The One if it makes it through to cutting. If I tell you it took about an hour just for the pouring part and then the door fell off the oven when I put it to CPOP you'll have some idea of what that was like... But somehow the batter stayed fluid right til the bitter end, I managed to balance the colours just about right, and I didn't knock anything over! So fingers crossed...
Salt Bars - look fab and love the colors! Once again it's good to know your experience for my future reference.
Challenge attempt - Right?! My first attempt took so long my back ached when I was done and it prompted Hubs to order me a standing mat. Glad to know it's not just me! šŸ˜
Oven door - Oh dear. NICE recovery, lady!

My first attempt took so long my back ached when I was done
I think the first few I rushed through a bit because the batter was thickening so they were... fine but not really what I was going for. This time I got to properly concentrate but it was quite the effort!! I actually really like the acrylic pen holder mould because it's so sturdy I can rest the jug on the edge and hold the tip of the spout with my opposite hand. It helps a lot to counteract the shakes.

I cut my ā€œGlenlivetā€ soap - used a Glenlivet box, which is triangular with rounded edges, for a mold. This was supposed to be a lollipop swirl, but the batter was too thick even if it had been a round mold. Kind of an interesting novelty soap, though.
I also attempted a lollipop swirl in one of the acrylic pipes I ordered and received today. Help. How in the world do people get the circles so perfect? I was afraid of having my batter too thick again but this time I think it was too thin and didnā€™t stay on top. Sigh.C5F57ADE-6DD8-4FDA-9B67-DD5234D313C0.jpeg

I cut my ā€œGlenlivetā€ soap - used a Glenlivet box, which is triangular with rounded edges, for a mold. This was supposed to be a lollipop swirl, but the batter was too thick even if it had been a round mold. Kind of an interesting novelty soap, though.
I also attempted a lollipop swirl in one of the acrylic pipes I ordered and received today. Help. How in the world do people get the circles so perfect? I was afraid of having my batter too thick again but this time I think it was too thin and didnā€™t stay on top. Sigh.
I agree that it's still a pretty cool soap. I think you've answered your own question - get the batter somewhere between the two you've tried. If you have a slow moving/tracing recipe then perhaps that would be best to use and then just sort of wait it out to the right consistency (somewhere between your other two batters). :)

I agree that it's still a pretty cool soap. I think you've answered your own question - get the batter somewhere between the two you've tried. If you have a slow moving/tracing recipe then perhaps that would be best to use and then just sort of wait it out to the right consistency (somewhere between your other two batters). :)
Yes... the elusive Goldilocks batter! ā˜ŗļø

I finally decided what my principal soap bar will measure and went to a local carpenter to have birch plywood cut in order to make 2 collapsable wood molds, that I will put together tomorrow. I had my youngest daughter promise to use her Pyrograph on one of the sides of the box, to reproduce my soap logo there. I am putting all my notes together in my soap book. I started shaving my last three batches that came out truly horrible. I tried out about 10 different soaps made from recomposed shavings from every different batch to test, bubbles, creaminess, lather, sliminess, washing properties.... Smelled them all, ooohed and aaahd at every different fragrance. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

Sooo, I am in the middle of this soap. It was actually a rescue from an attempted soap from earlier. I have a bit of time since it is quite thin. I put in a divider and did half and half white and orange. did a sort of taiwan swirl. Not quite what I expected it to look like.

Like i said, i have some time. Do I drag a skewer through it, or leave it?

View attachment 55826

ok, in 8 minutes, I got impatient LOL So I did the skewering LOL. At least the top looks good. Guess we shall see what tomorrows cut will be LOL

I went diagonal from corner to corner, still wasn't happy, so I just swirled circles all through.

View attachment 55827
Edit...not sure how the best way to cut it. The skewer went all the way to the bottom, so its not just a top swirl. Should I do it as just a single bar cut or cut it in four and see what is happening on the inside? I might do half and half.
I thought both looked great!!

Do you know why you were not accepted at the craft event? Many times organizers limit the number of vendors in specific categories. For fairs I attend jewelry is almost always limited to a specific number and soap is often. It really doesn't help anyone to be a vendor at a venue with 8 other soap makers if they only expect a couple thousand attendees. It may not have had anything to do with your soap quality or soap page. I would encourage you to go to that event as a customer with an eye to understanding the types of vendors and their qualifications. If possible I would actually ask the promoter why you were not admitted.

View attachment 55889

Fantastic you were able to add the color' though it was setting up Fast. ( We all know that " Plop Plop" Soap Drill " ) šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤—.

My soapy thing today is shrink-wrapping a gazillion soaps. I have a lot that are already packed and sealed, just needed to shrinky dink them. It is my least favorite thing to do, but it has to be done.

My original plan for my day off was to go outside and compost/mulch my garden, but the neighbor is out and they will want to talk LOL I'm not feeling very peoply today. So I made a date with the heat gun.

Just started my soaping adventure by getting the things I need. 2 plastic pitchers, lye, stick blender, EOs, measuring cups. Everything else I have already. Can't wait!
:nonono: Noooo! There's still time for you to turn back!! I'm warning you, one hit and you are hooked for life. Soon you'll find yourself realizing it's dawn and that you replaced a night's sleep with YouTube soaping videos, forcing your family to smell every possible EO combination, clicking 'submit cart' that's overflowing. Er, I mean, so I've heard....

Latest posts

Back