What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s what I made yesterday with bits and pieces left over from the March challenge. Most of the cubes on the top are glued down 😂

FB687831-E19B-4188-B054-15C00BFFFC1F.jpeg F52F4CCC-7E6F-43FA-948A-ABBE83311CC4.jpeg

I just got a bunch of new FOs from WSP today so I'll be testing them out this weekend!
Curious to know what you bought and what you think. I just bought several from WSP and have mixed reviews.

Enjoy your retirement! I absolutely love being retired!
Thank you Earlene - it’s a big week - awaiting news on my second grandchild due tomorrow!

Wahooo! One more day! :)
☺️Yes - I almost didn’t know what to do with myself today, so many ideas!

CONGRATULATIONS 🥳 ON YOUR RETIREMENT 🙂
Thank you! I’m very excited about it.

Curious to know what you bought and what you think. I just bought several from WSP and have mixed reviews.

Thank you Earlene - it’s a big week - awaiting news on my second grandchild due tomorrow!

☺Yes - I almost didn’t know what to do with myself today, so many ideas!

Thank you! I’m very excited about it.
So far I have used Cedarwood & Sage, Orchid & Pink Amber, Orange Sapphire, and Living Coral Reef. I used 2oz for a 50oz batch and they all behaved perfectly - no acceleration or ricing and I soap at around 100 degrees. The Orange Sapphire is especially nice as it really smells like a fresh orange or tangerine. I mostly use WSP fragrances and have been happy with all but one (Tropical Vacation - had a raunchy chemical smell).

Sooo, I am in the middle of this soap. It was actually a rescue from an attempted soap from earlier. I have a bit of time since it is quite thin. I put in a divider and did half and half white and orange. did a sort of taiwan swirl. Not quite what I expected it to look like.

Like i said, i have some time. Do I drag a skewer through it, or leave it?

orange.jpg

ok, in 8 minutes, I got impatient LOL So I did the skewering LOL. At least the top looks good. Guess we shall see what tomorrows cut will be LOL

I went diagonal from corner to corner, still wasn't happy, so I just swirled circles all through.

orange 2.jpg

Edit...not sure how the best way to cut it. The skewer went all the way to the bottom, so its not just a top swirl. Should I do it as just a single bar cut or cut it in four and see what is happening on the inside? I might do half and half.

Sooo, I am in the middle of this soap. It was actually a rescue from an attempted soap from earlier. I have a bit of time since it is quite thin. I put in a divider and did half and half white and orange. did a sort of taiwan swirl. Not quite what I expected it to look like.

View attachment 55826

ok, in 8 minutes, I got impatient LOL So I did the skewering LOL. At least the top looks good. Guess we shall see what tomorrows cut will be LOL

I went diagonal from corner to corner, still wasn't happy, so I just swirled circles all through.

View attachment 55827
Edit...not sure how the best way to cut it. The skewer went all the way to the bottom, so its not just a top swirl. Should I do it as just a single bar cut or cut it in four and see what is happening on the inside? I might do half and half.
Beautiful!!!

I'd do half and half - I bet it's REALLY pretty both ways!

Wow! Y’all been busy!! It’ll take me forever just to catch up on here. I’ve been in a super funk. Trying hard to get back at it. Did some simple assembly line prep.
Hey - there you are! You've been crossing my mind as I've been missing your posts. Glad to see you back here and will be thinking about you.

If you want a cost effective source for surfactants for making syndet bars, I recommend makeyourown.buzz. This is the version of SCI I recommend, too: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate Powder
They also have SLSa and CAPB and both versions of BTMS. They have cetyl alcohol and even silicones if you want to put some in conditioner bars. Everything is waaaaay less expensive than other sources. I mean some of the more expensive ingredients are like half what others charge. And their shipping charges are not outrageous, either. They have excellent quality products and responsive customer service people.

They didn't pay me to say this. I'm just a really happy customer. They messed up my order one time but they made it right really quickly.
I probably would never have started making shampoo bars if I had to pay what everyone else charges for the ingredients!
I second the love for MakeYourOwn.Buzz. The same folks also own Chemistry Connection and SaveOnCitric. Depending on where you live, it can pay to search all three sites to see which one will get you the best deal.

I was up early this morning and ended up doing two batches of soap! (None yesterday, I guess I had to make up for it...)

Apart from the messing with column moulds for the challenge, I also tried an Ione swirl for the first time, with... interesting results.
IMG_20210406_215446.jpg

I was hoping for the dreamlike swirls I've seen in so many examples, but I think I got carried away with the gear tie and it has more of a nightmare quality, definitely something a bit creepy about it. I'll add it to my sinister soap portfolio I guess 🤭

Today I finally cut the bars on my "oops, I forgot to swirl" rainbow soap. I used a recipe I hoped would give me a lot of working time for the 7 colors, and it stayed too soft to cut for three days. I think it might have been pretty if I'd remembered to swirl the rainbow colors back and forth thru the white. Next time...

View attachment 53532View attachment 53533
I love it! What soap recipe did you use as a rainbow soap is in my future for pride month!

I second the love for MakeYourOwn.Buzz. The same folks also own Chemistry Connection and SaveOnCitric. Depending on where you live, it can pay to search all three sites to see which one will get you the best deal.
Oh, interesting! SaveOnCitric is one source I found recently in my attempts to find other options than just Brambleberry, and also find syndet supplies

Hey - there you are! You've been crossing my mind as I've been missing your posts. Glad to see you back here and will be thinking about you.
Thanks. I’ve got a farmers market this Sunday. So, hopefully I’ll move some soap. Online sales have slowed to a crawl. So, I need to move some soaps outta here before I can keep cranking out new soaps.

So far I have used Cedarwood & Sage, Orchid & Pink Amber, Orange Sapphire, and Living Coral Reef. I used 2oz for a 50oz batch and they all behaved perfectly - no acceleration or ricing and I soap at around 100 degrees. The Orange Sapphire is especially nice as it really smells like a fresh orange or tangerine. I mostly use WSP fragrances and have been happy with all but one (Tropical Vacation - had a raunchy chemical smell).
Thank you - that’s helpful.

Latest posts

Back