What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first ever batches of soap this weekend! A handsoap kit from WSP in Pumpkin coconut cream, and a melt and pour batch in sugared Strawberry from Nurture Soap. My home health aid came today, and took two bars of the soap and one of the bottles. She wanted to show it off to her neighbors and ask if any of them wanted to buy some. I felt bad telling her she couldn't do that since I'm not selling my soaps.
Congrats on your first soap!

Just made what is probably my largest batch - about 1800 g of soap!
Used goat tallow 50 % and pig lard, olive oil and coconut oil.
The fragrances included lavender EO, lemongrass, bergamot, patchouli and sandalwood FO's.
The colours used: indigo, St. John's wort, yellow and red for M&P.
I poured into my latest moulds (a toy car, an octopus, a crab, a ship), some flowers, and others.
They are all sitting in my oven undergoing CPOP-ing.
My kitchen smells elicious!

Yesterday I got another haul of fat from the butcher so I've been rendering more tallow. Gave him this soap I made with his tallow as a thank you, he seemed very happy with it :)
View attachment 55564

Now that there's more on the way I felt ok with using the last of the previous batch so I made another attempt at the black soap that's stuck in my mind. Fingers crossed it stays black this time, and that the mica lines are clearer. I used a good bit more mica so I also hope it doesn't split at the lines 😟
Drizzled on top with 'white pearl' mica in oil which always seems to come out gold.
View attachment 55565

Edit: now that's what they were supposed to look like!
View attachment 55578 View attachment 55577

Scented with 'black linen and amber' so I'll call these 'nights in black linen'.
I like your play on Knights in White Satin! 🥰 My UPS guy has been wonderful, putting my packages INSIDE my soap shack even when I am not in there! I gifted him with a bar of my lemon basil soap and he seemed pleased 😀. He's also great with our pooch 😊

I am finally catching up after playing in the sun in beautiful Puerto Rico for 6 weeks. Today I made emulsified coffee scrubs. I'm excited about these because I have "partnered" with our local coffee company and am using their espresso as well as including their logo on my labels 🤩.

Attachments

• 20210328_184801.jpg
    20210328_184801.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 27
Had fun experimenting with colorants again. The blue is phycocyanin, or blue spirulina, mixed with various other things - rose kaolin clay, TD, two iron oxides, and rhubarb. The red tray is red rice yeast with nothing, TD, and iron oxide. I don’t know if the blue will hold up, I actually wasn’t sure it would make it this far.

C05F20C9-5EDB-4232-BE07-241D6BDFD4D3.jpeg3006FB3B-0A5B-4568-9B59-E411BDFCAC1A.jpegF4CB25FD-A712-494D-9E78-5552DF0FDE18.jpeg

Today I struggled with my first solid hot process attempt, and made some chocolate-scented soap that (unintentionally) looks like meat.
IMG_20210329_121731.jpg

On the upside I got a delivery of some more supplies; some proper funnel jugs and some nice colours from micamoma. So I'll be consoling myself with some nice gradient stripes in the very near future!

I may be insane but I've been watching this video and I want to try it so badly... Actually I want to try it well but we must be realistic 😂

I made up a mix of oils today that (finally) is basically liquid at room temperature! And I got some micas that I'm really confident I'll be able to get a good red out of. The oils are waiting for me for the morning, if I'm feeling brave I may well give it a bash 😮 Wish me luck!

I am feeling so uninspired lately LOL. Don't get me wrong, I am really itching to make soap, I just can't figure out a design for something new and exciting.

I was thinking of a line pour with Smell the Rainbow FO for my LBG friends. But wall pours are not my forte.

Thought about a dancing funnel, but I don't think I have the patience for that LOL.

Ugggh...writer's block

Sometimes "Soda Ash" can enhance the image of soap. IMHO Picture depicts this.

* I also posted a picture of my Pine Tar Soap in same link I posted yesterday' if anyone is interested *

The soapy thing I did today was order that exact soap mold! I've seen other pictures of soap around here that use that set and when I found it on Amazon I decided I needed it. I got the oval ones and the rectangle ones. The cavity mold I've been using is very thin and flimsy and all my soaps are bowed out on the sides. I have a small loaf mold but my test batches are too small for it so I need a good cavity mold.

I also made tallow soap earlier today. Just tallow on its own, three small bars so I can see what it's like. I've made plain lard soap recently too, and some with a few other oils added too so I can see what I like.

I may be insane but I've been watching this video and I want to try it so badly... Actually I want to try it well but we must be realistic 😂

I made up a mix of oils today that (finally) is basically liquid at room temperature! And I got some micas that I'm really confident I'll be able to get a good red out of. The oils are waiting for me for the morning, if I'm feeling brave I may well give it a bash 😮 Wish me luck!

I have admired that soap in that video for a long time...have never done it, but I love the contrasting colors.

Ok, finally a real actual soapy thing in a while.

Smell the rainbow in my slab mold. I have 5 colors, plus white, uncolored because I'm an idiot. The green glopped up after the fragrance was added, so there is very little green in it. It was a weird glopping up...like it just had chunks. I was able to add a little green from what I could salvage. I poured high on that one, so hopefully it got a little throughout the soap. Lots of f bombs going on at this stage. And I wanted thinner color swirls.

I guess the soap top doesn't have the uniform swirl that I would like, but I guess in the end after the cut it really doesn't matter LOL. I usually just do the swirl without thinking. I actually took my time with it, and it ended up uneven (just got done watching a Tree Marie video, so I feel particularly particular).

As Terry might say: "what I would have done differently for this batch"....would to be to not forget the fragrance...

Anyway, wet-soap Smell the Rainbow...not very straight, missing most of one of the colors, but I think nobody will notice in the end LOL

btw, I am not a fan of this FO smell, as much as everybody raves about it :shakinghead:

smell the rainbow.jpg

Beautiful soap! I love the distribution of colours, there's a great energy to it!

just got done watching a Tree Marie video, so I feel particularly particular
Lol, I know that feeling! I'm sitting here procrastinating with everything laid out in front of me and thinking it all needs to be 'just so' before I start...

...not very straight
Isn't that kind of the point? 🤣 🤣

Holy cow, I think I did it! 😧
I'm going to be terrified to cut this now...
IMG_20210330_114238.jpg

I like your play on Knights in White Satin! 🥰 My UPS guy has been wonderful, putting my packages INSIDE my soap shack even when I am not in there! I gifted him with a bar of my lemon basil soap and he seemed pleased 😀. He's also great with our pooch 😊

I am finally catching up after playing in the sun in beautiful Puerto Rico for 6 weeks. Today I made emulsified coffee scrubs. I'm excited about these because I have "partnered" with our local coffee company and am using their espresso as well as including their logo on my labels 🤩.
Wow! how exciting to partner w/ your local coffee comp!!! Congrats 💫🧼👍🏼. Wonderful that your USPS guy takes extra care w/ your two loves' always a good thing. yay 🐶📦🧼

This is such a pretty soap!

Today I got to package up some soap for the first time to use as a birthday gift for a friend! She is sensitive to fragrances, so I picked a couple of unscented bars and scribbled up some labels. She is pregnant, so added some Castile for the baby! I'm so excited, I got to try my Castile on my 7 month old for the first time yesterday too. So soft and mild
Thank you aww 🤗🧼

Good Morning Happy Taco Tuesday 🤗💫🌮. Waiting on a call back from elementbath&beauty, I placed an order but didnt get a order acknowledgment so i resubmitted order thinking it didn't go through, again no order acknowledgment thought I better give them a call. I'm excited & looking forward in taking a plunge in "Skin Care"

Here's soap I cut yesterday. (The light blue background was inspired by @MobjackBay and her new beautiful new photo backdrop.) I used Blackberry and Magnolia FO from Micas & More for the first time – and it accelerated! The colored part - equal parts of Micas & More cosmic purple and ruby red – went into the mold in a clumpy line. I used a gear tie (hanger swirl) to try to break up the clump of purple and spread the color around the loaf. All in all, I'm happy with it.
107th batch- Blackberry & Magnolia shea butter.jpg

Good Morning Happy Taco Tuesday 🤗💫🌮. Waiting on a call back from elementbath&beauty, I placed an order but didnt get a order acknowledgment so i resubmitted order thinking it didn't go through, again no order acknowledgment thought I better give them a call. I'm excited & looking forward in taking a plunge in "Skin Care"
Did you check your spam filter? I've had emails sent there before even if I'd been receiving emails from the same sender just fine previously.

I unmoulded my latest batch, cleaned crumbles and bevelled the soaps. I'm pretty happy with how they came out - that is those I unmoulded today. Some of those I unmoulded yesterday were a bit chipped but not too bad.

Back