What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this mean the soaps are all done now? And can we see pics??
Yes they are done! Phew!
I don't usually post photos on this forum. Sorry. It's a privacy thing.

I got them from Amazon. I'm gonna have to order more, because my "pretty" towels have been little by little repurposed into soaping towels. They are not fairing so well lol.
I know exactly what you mean. I am runny very short of nice tea towels even though, of course, I never use my good tea towels for soaping!!!!

Me too. And for what it's worth, if you're staying within safety rates for skin, the odds that your hair is going to fall out are relatively slim. That still leaves how it makes your hair feel, but you'll be able to feel that within the first use of it, and odds are you have conditioner of some kind lying around if you need it.
Good point!
I just bought a scale from amazon that measures to .1 grams, Scale grams & ounces 5kg/.01g Its rechargeable and uses batteries. it big and wide for all my large bowls. Its pretty cool! I got it mostly because I'm making small batches of shampoo & conditioner bars, lotions and creams. So I can't wait to use it!
PS... @DeeAnna posted in another post about putting all ingredients in a heavy weight sealable plastic bag (except heat sensitive ingredients) and plopping it in hot water to melt and mix and knead. It sounds like fun and less messy! Sous Vide method
Thank you so much for sharing this. I’ve been intending to buy a scale that measures to the .1 grams. And I’d have never considered melting the ingredients sous vide style. Clever problem solving!

Luxury of all luxuries, after a mentally taxing day, I decided to take a bath. I brought my shampoo bar with me and after my glasses got too foggy to read, I threw caution to the wind and gave it a test run. Not bad! My hair felt silky and though I never skip the conditioner (I have very long, fine, blonde hair) it didn’t feel like it needed it. My hair feels soft and full bodied. Yay! I do want to fine-tune the recipe and play around with additives. But it’s a start!

Tested my 9-day young Zany's No-Slime Castile bars and was so pleasantly surprised: no slime, and wonderful soft lather with lots of lotion-y bubbles. Took a lather video but apparently it's too big to post here. My skin doesn't feel dry or itchy like it normally does with high OO soap. The bars are still a little soft, but I can't wait to see how this cures out!

Here is the ZNSC version that I used with the recommended faux sea water:

80% OO
15% CO
5% Castor oil

Additives:
Sorbitol dissolved in the liquid at 1% of oils
1 Tbsp of powdered goat milk per 500g of oils.
Fragrance at 6%

This might be my new favorite soap! I'm going to try it again with coconut milk since this was supposed to be a vegan soap until I added GMP at the least minute, just for kicks.

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of the silicone used to make the mould (they are not all created equal) AND how high the heat was and how long in the oven.

I would make another batch of soap in it, as a test to see what happens. In fact, I'd probably make one without CPOP and then one with CPOP (being careful to heat to a lower heat, then turn OFF the oven when you put the soap inside & leave it for several hours with the oven door closed and the oven off the whole time). Compare and see if you have a repeat of the silicone rash. Then decide.

It is only cosmetic (aesthetically) and does not damage the soap's ability to perform its function. You can plane them smooth if you desire a smoother look on the pocked surface after you cut the soap.

Thank you, I'll try that. Everyday is a lesson. 😊

It was fairly cheap, so if it's ruined I'll replace it after pay day... I'm nowhere near selling, so having to skim a little off the bars that I'm giving away isn't the end of the world...

I did some late soaping last night with the intention of using up some more shavings, odds and ends, and the remaining soap dough from the black and white project.

My kitchen now looks like I was murdering Smurfs.
IMG_20210325_214629.jpg IMG_20210326_092951.jpg

Everything is blue, I guess this is my life now.

Also I managed to ruin the blade on the food processor from running it so long. The place where the blade centre column attaches to the spinny part actually melted :eek: so I guess I'll be taking a break from soap dough until the replacement arrives...

Had to finish the soap by hand so I was up until gone midnight (my bedtime is half ten!) but when I did the first cut I actually said 'wow' out loud, so I guess it was worth it all in the end.
IMG_20210325_233925.jpg IMG_20210325_233917.jpg

Trying to have something of a 'soap diet' and focus on finishing/planing/beveling/stamping and using up leftovers rather than making new batches, but it's so hard!

2 hours to go before work, let's see if my resolve holds out once the dishes are done...

I did some late soaping last night with the intention of using up some more shavings, odds and ends, and the remaining soap dough from the black and white project.

View attachment 55467 View attachment 55468

Also I managed to ruin the blade on the food processor from running it so long. The place where the blade centre column attaches to the spinny part actually melted :eek: so I guess I'll be taking a break from soap dough until the replacement arrives...

Had to finish the soap by hand so I was up until gone midnight (my bedtime is half ten!) but when I did the first cut I actually said 'wow' out loud, so I guess it was worth it all in the end.
View attachment 55469 View attachment 55470

Trying to have something of a 'soap diet' and focus on finishing/planing/beveling/stamping and using up leftovers rather than making new batches, but it's so hard!

2 hours to go before work, let's see if my resolve holds out once the dishes are done...
What is it you’re using the food processor for?

💫Good Morning Happy Friday💫

Great News my Pine Tar is finnaly in @ Tractor Supply so I'll pick it up today, review some videos & have a go at it.
Oh Before Diving into Skin Care Products I want to learn how to make Liquid Soap. Then switch gears & dive into "The Making Of Skin Care Products".

It's never ending, Thats a good thing. 🤗💫

Last edited:
Good Morning everyone!! I tried making this yesterday, but it got a little darker in the middle. Honey and Oatmeal.

And these two I forgot to post...

Attachments

• E26BB0DD-4608-4B46-90C5-800C8AE49D2C.jpeg
    E26BB0DD-4608-4B46-90C5-800C8AE49D2C.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 22E12864-C841-4025-B08C-238957E4EA95.jpeg
    22E12864-C841-4025-B08C-238957E4EA95.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 87E8E93C-E7C9-4D1B-A60A-BD7394A9448E.jpeg
    87E8E93C-E7C9-4D1B-A60A-BD7394A9448E.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 15
What is it you’re using the food processor for?
I started by using it to smooth out batches of dough which were lumpy, and it was amazing for that, so I branched out into using it for adjusting the texture. I found that if it clumps together on speed #3 then it will work the way I want.
The problem is that I wasn't paying attention last night and pushed it too hard and too long. I had put in too much (blue!) liquid colouring and I was trying to get it to be less sticky but I got focused on that to the exclusion of all else...
At least the replacement blade unit is only about €4, so not too much harm done, just a delay.

Last edited:
What I have done lately... I saw a stencil could be better suited for using with soap and soap dough, so I created some... 100's of them. I've been a bit obsessed with the idea. Anyway, this is some of what I've been doing.
View attachment 55475View attachment 55476View attachment 55477View attachment 55478
Oh my gosh. The kitty one is so adorable. These are so amazing.

Great purple color!
What do they smell like?

Tested my 9-day young Zany's No-Slime Castille bars and was so pleasantly surprised: no slime, and wonderful soft lather with lots of lotion-y bubbles. Took a lather video but apparently it's too big to post here. My skin doesn't feel dry or itchy like it normally does with high OO soap. The bars are still a little soft, but I can't wait to see how this cures out!

Here is the ZNSC version that I used with the recommended faux sea water:

80% OO
15% CO
5% Castor oil

Additives:
Sorbitol dissolved in the liquid at 1% of oils
1 Tbsp of powdered goat milk per 500g of oils.
Fragrance at 6%

This might be my new favorite soap! I'm going to try it again with coconut milk since this was supposed to be a vegan soap until I added GMP at the least minute, just for kicks.
Wait. What is faux sea water please :) ?

@Tina05 - Plain soap is my favorite, and you've succeeded in making a pretty loaf there! You might be seeing a partial gel with the darker middle, which can be remedied even after the cut with some CPOP time. :)

Sorry about your blade, but still loving these geodes!
and, ummmm...Poor smurfs! 🤣

Need to be talked off the proverbial soaping ledge. Tried the wood grain pour today. Had it all perfectly planned out with my new slow moving recipe containing Lard. When I first started soaping my issue with any type of design was my trace got too thick too fast. Today's epic fail was because I was too impatient and didnt let my trace get thick enough. I know what I did wrong and I will try this again!! Just sucks when you have high aspirations and you just end up with plain brown soap. Uggh!!

Stunning. Just stunning. On the right photo, what is the brown/copper colorant? I may have to steal pay homage to this design.
Need to be talked off the proverbial soaping ledge. Tried the wood grain pour today. Had it all perfectly planned out with my new slow moving recipe containing Lard. When I first started soaping my issue with any type of design was my trace got too thick too fast. Today's epic fail was because I was too impatient and didnt let my trace get thick enough. I know what I did wrong and I will try this again!! Just sucks when you have high aspirations and you just end up with plain brown soap. Uggh!!
Erg, I know that feeling! But you gotta do some re-framing. Even "plain brown soap" that is homemade is still an awesome thing.
:secret:And don't tell anyone your intended design. My trick is to call it "rustic."

Last edited:
Need to be talked off the proverbial soaping ledge. Tried the wood grain pour today.

Just sucks when you have high aspirations and you just end up with plain brown soap. Uggh!!
Wait till you cut it - the inside may surprise you! I've seen several YT soapers who started with muddled soap on the outside, and ended up with gorgeous soap on the inside.

Back