What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the rose loaf from yesterday that accelerated. It was a little pocked on the outside, not sure what caused that, but I carefully sliced it off and inside was fine, only a few small air pockets. The itp swirl is more obvious in the middle slices, but all bars have some variation in colour so that's ok. It smells good, even my partner who can be a fairly harsh critic, said it smells like proper rose, not artificial, so that's good.

View attachment 55456
Very nice.

That looks like silicone rash from a silicone mold. It looks like overheating in a silicone mold, possibly from too much heat in an oven. Did you CPOP or insulate? I recall you used a rose FO, which would have contributed to the heat inside the mold.

Very nice.

That looks like silicone rash from a silicone mold. It looks like overheating in a silicone mold, possibly from too much heat in an oven. Did you CPOP or insulate? I recall you used a rose FO, which would have contributed to the heat inside the mold.

Yes, I did CPOP, thanks for solving the mystery! I realised after I put it in that the minimum temp on the top oven is higher than on the bottom oven, so I won't be using it again!

Have I messed up my mould now? Or will it be ok to use in the future?

Yes, I did CPOP, thanks for solving the mystery! I realised after I put it in that the minimum temp on the top oven is higher than on the bottom oven, so I won't be using it again!

Have I messed up my mould now? Or will it be ok to use in the future?
Depends on the quality of the silicone used to make the mould (they are not all created equal) AND how high the heat was and how long in the oven.

I would make another batch of soap in it, as a test to see what happens. In fact, I'd probably make one without CPOP and then one with CPOP (being careful to heat to a lower heat, then turn OFF the oven when you put the soap inside & leave it for several hours with the oven door closed and the oven off the whole time). Compare and see if you have a repeat of the silicone rash. Then decide.

It is only cosmetic (aesthetically) and does not damage the soap's ability to perform its function. You can plane them smooth if you desire a smoother look on the pocked surface after you cut the soap.

Made 100g shampoo bar. Good grief, that was not fun. Decided to make “pourable” (bit of a misnomer, if you ask me) and it took forever for all of the ingredients to melt down. My scale didn’t take well to the itty bitty measurements so a little over here and there. There’s no possibility of 1.6 grams. It’s either a gram or 2 grams. That said, the sheer number of ingredients was head-swimming.

I reminded myself that once upon a time making cold process soap left me feeling stressed and unsure of myself. I’ll just have to keep plugging away at these shampoo bar things and be patient with myself.

Made 100g shampoo bar. Good grief, that was not fun. Decided to make “pourable” (bit of a misnomer, if you ask me) and it took forever for all of the ingredients to melt down. My scale didn’t take well to the itty bitty measurements so a little over here and there. There’s no possibility of 1.6 grams. It’s either a gram or 2 grams. That said, the sheer number of ingredients was head-swimming.

I reminded myself that once upon a time making cold process soap left me feeling stressed and unsure of myself. I’ll just have to keep plugging away at these shampoo bar things and be patient with myself.
I felt that way too, until I found out that you can pretty much melt everything together in one pot, adding only the heat-sensitive ingredients later. So.much.easier.

Thanks! I always worry I'm going on too much, but I love reading other people's experiences so I hope mine are useful to someone too!

I actually lost the battle with myself already... I am a weak-willed mortal and the Indian food took an hour to get here 🤪

I may have peaked, best put away my soaping equipment now, lol! But it's awesome to have a soap come out just how I had imagined it:
View attachment 55315

Or as someone once said, "I love it when a plan comes together!" 😎
Quite Awesome!

I felt that way too, until I found out that you can pretty much melt everything together in one pot, adding only the heat-sensitive ingredients later. So.much.easier.
I basically weighed everything in the pot and melted it all together. It never really felt fluid. I did screw up and added the Liquid Germal Plus too soon. Once I finally added the FO, the whole thing was so solid that I had to really work it in. Ack!

I basically weighed everything in the pot and melted it all together. It never really felt fluid. I did screw up and added the Liquid Germal Plus too soon. Once I finally added the FO, the whole thing was so solid that I had to really work it in. Ack!
Yes, I wouldn’t describe mine as fluid, either. Malleable, but not fluid in the least. Hopefully the results are worth it for you!

Yes, I wouldn’t describe mine as fluid, either. Malleable, but not fluid in the least. Hopefully the results are worth it for you!
Yes, malleable is a good word. It was malleable.

Funny, testing soap on my body is no big deal. I know my skin won’t fall off. Testing a shampoo bar on my hair? Yikes. MY HAIR COULD FALL OUT! 😱
I greatly appreciate the encouragement and positive thoughts. @AliOop! 🥰

I like the notion that I can create a shampoo bar using the same ingredients in my favorite shampoo.
Me too. And for what it's worth, if you're staying within safety rates for skin, the odds that your hair is going to fall out are relatively slim. That still leaves how it makes your hair feel, but you'll be able to feel that within the first use of it, and odds are you have conditioner of some kind lying around if you need it.

Oh, meadowfoam seed oil, meadowfoam seed oil, meadowfoam seed oil, where have you been all my life? I'm in my 50s and just now meeting you?! Oh, the missed decades!
PEOPLE! This stuff is the s---! I decided to make a special lotion bar for Mrs. Zing's Christmas -- 1/3 each of white beeswax, shea, and my new best friend that I wish I could fill a tub with and bathe in, meadowfoam seed oil. I think she'll like it. Must. Wrap. Now. And. Not. Touch.

@The_Emerald_Chicken , that's 2 of each for me. You do remember we're coworkers, right? Top floor, corner office?

Oh, great, thanks a lot. And where do I get this meadowfoam seed oil? Supplier?

I just bought a scale from amazon that measures to .1 grams, Scale grams & ounces 5kg/.01g Its rechargeable and uses batteries. it big and wide for all my large bowls. Its pretty cool! I got it mostly because I'm making small batches of shampoo & conditioner bars, lotions and creams. So I can't wait to use it!
PS... @DeeAnna posted in another post about putting all ingredients in a heavy weight sealable plastic bag (except heat sensitive ingredients) and plopping it in hot water to melt and mix and knead. It sounds like fun and less messy! Sous Vide method

Oh, great, thanks a lot. And where do I get this meadowfoam seed oil? Supplier?
I have to agree with @Zing, this stuff is amazing! I haven't had great success with BA, however, so I purchased mine from MakeYourOwn.Buzz, aka TheChemistryConnection.com, aka SaveOnCitric.com. All three of those sites are owned by the same folks, apparently, but the prices and shipping can differ, so it's worth comparing all three. I've also purchased MFSO from WSP before, but they take soooo long that by the time it arrives, I don't remember what I planned to make (seriously!). So I rarely order from them anymore.

Latest posts

Back