What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made soap! I’m only doing about one batch per week at present. This is mango and pineapple:
98EE5737-0AE0-4E81-BEDC-CCE2C2B7F054.jpeg

It just doesn't measure up to what I had in my head! I wanted it to be very black and slightly tweedy with lighter copper steaks running through it... I'll get there yet though, you have me hooked on the mica stripe concept so there'll be plenty more variations on that theme in my future.
First rule of soap making club - never tell everyone what you had planned because they like it anyway, just as it is. You may be disappointed but everyone else thinks it's wonderful!

Cut this soap from yesterday.
18330385-3748-4562-953C-FFF793F148E8.jpeg
1F4073D1-65F7-4598-8C87-B464CACD696C.jpeg

Good grief this loaf is still SO soft! It has got to be the FO! First time using Awaken from NS. Behaved well in making, but this soft soap is a drag! I cut some when I shouldn’t have. But I couldn’t take the anticipation any longer!!! Even with all the things that went wrong it turned out pretty good. I may have to try the same design idea again right away. My company is named after the harpy eagle, and I’m kind of a raptor junkie, especially hawks!! I tried to get some red in the tail. I’ll have to wait a few hours before I can cut any more. It’s already been 22!!! FOs are new to me. Can some slow soap from hardening?
Outstanding! A family of Cooper’s Hawks uses our backyard bird feeders as their hunting grounds. Morning doves aren’t that bright and perch themselves on the fence by the feeders. They are easy pickings. I’ve seen them come out of nowhere like a missile and try to catch birds mid-air as they disperse. It’s really quite a thing to witness.

I made soap! I’m only doing about one batch per week at present. This is mango and pineapple:
View attachment 55445

First rule of soap making club - never tell everyone what you had planned because they like it anyway, just as it is. You may be disappointed but everyone else thinks it's wonderful!
Love the top design & colors' scent sounds beautiful.

I p
Cut this soap from yesterday. View attachment 55446View attachment 55447

Outstanding! A family of Cooper’s Hawks uses our backyard bird feeders as their hunting grounds. Morning doves aren’t that bright and perch themselves on the fence by the feeders. They are easy pickings. I’ve seen them come out of nowhere like a missile and try to catch birds mid-air as they disperse. It’s really quite a thing to witness.
[
One main reason I keep my bird feeder so well stocked is the Cooper’s hawks. I’ve had a mom raising her juvenile male here the last year, now they both hunt here. I saw him get a mouse the other day too! We also have a TON of red tail hawks! I tried to blend some brown and orange into where the tail extruded, it shows a little.
What is this glorious green you’re using?!!! I need more dark green. All my greens are very light.

One main reason I keep my bird feeder so well stocked is the Cooper’s hawks. I’ve had a mom raising her juvenile male here the last year, now they both hunt here. I saw him get a mouse the other day too! We also have a TON of red tail hawks! I tried to blend some brown and orange into where the tail extruded, it shows a little.
What is this glorious green you’re using?!!! I need more dark green. All my greens are very light.
It's the circle of life! There are two generations of Cooper's Hawks living in our neighborhood, which is a rarity. The abundant food source (a number of my neighbors have birdfeeders) means competition for food isn't acute. Just yesterday I saw a Cooper's Hawk chase a house finch. Their ability to turn on a dime is something to behold.

I used the same green for every color in the soap. To one I added TD, to another (to get the deep green) I added green chrome oxide pigment, and for the almost black, I added black chrome oxide pigment. I buy fewer colors these days and instead rely on chrome oxide pigments (or TD) to achieve different shades of colors. They don't disperse as easily as micas, but the resulting color is worth the effort. And I never use them alone, merely to enhance colors. A little goes a loooooong way.

Last edited:
View attachment 55445

Look at that soap top! Lovely...and I bet it smells yummy.

I cut the rose loaf from yesterday that accelerated. It was a little pocked on the outside, not sure what caused that, but I carefully sliced it off and inside was fine, only a few small air pockets. The itp swirl is more obvious in the middle slices, but all bars have some variation in colour so that's ok. It smells good, even my partner who can be a fairly harsh critic, said it smells like proper rose, not artificial, so that's good.

My bachelor friend said it smells like soap... 🙄

The slices are not totally even, as usual. Again, not something that worries me - though I do like to bevel them as I dislike the sharp edges of a sliced bar when you first start to use it. Pushed the edge slices and scraps together into a tester bar for home use.

IMG_20210325_165352.jpg

IMG_20210325_171000.jpg

Finally done!

View attachment 55458

Pretty nerve wracking, waiting to see if it softened up enough from the CPOP to hold together, but all done.

Also decided the geodes needed a little bit of something so I put some gravel around the edges. Much happier with them now.
View attachment 55459
I'm adoring your perfect shapes. Truly, well-done!

Finally done!

View attachment 55458

Pretty nerve wracking, waiting to see if it softened up enough from the CPOP to hold together, but all done.

Also decided the geodes needed a little bit of something so I put some gravel around the edges. Much happier with them now.
View attachment 55459
Wait a minute, what is going on? Is that soap? Are you on the right forum? That top photo cannot be soap!!!

Finally done!

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! Why does shipping from Ireland have to be so expensive?!

No words for the checker-board ones. Drooling comes to mind... Those geodes are like the coolest thing ever!

Ok soap as in surfactant but I thought my poop soap friends would get a kick outta this bath bomb. Im going to mica paint the feet when it dries.

Duck Butt 😂

View attachment 55461 🤣
I'm very glad you posted this pic, I saw you said you ordered this and I couldn't imagine what it would look like!

Latest posts

Back