What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my attempt at the kiss pour

pinksangria bars.jpg

The doorbell rang today and I hear my Husband call out: "What all did you buy??"
My only response was "Hey, it was a rough week last week"

Made some embeds and was about to soap when I remembered I had to take my doggy to the vet. It went fairly well. I had everything separated to make 5 layers, which are likely kind of smooshy. The oils hardened and I had to heat them a bit warmer than I’d like, and so my FO caused some mild ricing and acceleration. I’ve never had ricing before. If there was a tiny bit of chunkiness still when I poured, will that be ok?
Anyway, trying not to get my hopes up. The acceleration really mucked up my plans.

So here is the results of the soap dough I made Saturday. Unmolded yesterday, wrapped it in plastic and kneaded it today. Great consistency. I’m very happy with the result of this Sorcery Soap recipe. My hands are a little tired because I plugged away and got all 9 bars, 36 oz of soap kneaded and wrapped within an hour. Now to think about how I will use it...

View attachment 54874
I attempted soap dough two weeks ago. It was a terrible experience. I will try it again. It might have gone well, except one of the videos that I watched put the soap into plastic disposable glasses and was able to unmold them easily (soap and clay), it wasn't as simple as that LOL. I had to cut the plastic away from the soap dough.

I wasn't sure it was right. It was somewhat pliable, but pretty dry. I have nothing to compare it to, because I have never used soap dough before, so I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be that way. I had to dip them in distilled water to make them a little more workable.

in the end, I threw them away (most were still in the plastic cups without a saran wrap liner, which is what I probably should have put in in the first place). They ended up all primary looking colors, and not very pretty...I was going for easter colors, but I eyeballed everything wrong LOL...too much color I think.

Anyway. I will try again. I really had the feeling that they weren't right, but like I said, I didn't have anything to compare them to, so I will probably buy some soap dough to get a feel for what right is.

I love your colors @Jersey Girl Colors aside, mine didn't look like that. They were much harder and more crumbly.

I attempted soap dough two weeks ago. It was a terrible experience. I will try it again. It might have gone well, except one of the videos that I watched put the soap into plastic disposable glasses and was able to unmold them easily (soap and clay), it wasn't as simple as that LOL. I had to cut the plastic away from the soap dough.

I wasn't sure it was right. It was somewhat pliable, but pretty dry. I have nothing to compare it to, because I have never used soap dough before, so I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be that way. I had to dip them in distilled water to make them a little more workable.

in the end, I threw them away (most were still in the plastic cups without a saran wrap liner, which is what I probably should have put in in the first place). They ended up all primary looking colors, and not very pretty...I was going for easter colors, but I eyeballed everything wrong LOL...too much color I think.

Anyway. I will try again. I really had the feeling that they weren't right, but like I said, I didn't have anything to compare them to, so I will probably buy some soap dough to get a feel for what right is.

I love your colors @Jersey Girl Colors aside, mine didn't look like that. They were much harder and more crumbly.

I used a silicon single cavity molds. They make 4 oz bars. Poured at very lt trace. Covered in Saran Wrap. They popped out easily at 24 hrs but were a bit too sticky, so I wrapped them in wrap again and waited another 24 and then they were ready to be kneaded. It’s easier to knead if you break the bars into smaller pieces to do it. Try the recipe I listed. I used distilled water and no additives.

I used a silicon single cavity molds. They make 4 oz bars. Poured at very lt trace. Covered in Saran Wrap. They popped out easily at 24 hrs but were a bit too sticky, so I wrapped them in wrap again and waited another 24 and then they were ready to be kneaded. It’s easier to knead if you break the bars into smaller pieces to do it. Try the recipe I listed. I used distilled water and no additives.
I’ve switched from pouring soap dough into a mold to pouring it right into ziplock bags. Then I leave it in there for 3-4 days and it’s ready to go. Keeps it air tight from the start and I don’t get any lumps.
Do you mix your activated charcoal with water or oil? I’ve been mixing mine with some of the recipe oils and the black soap dough gets so dry. I’m wondering if it’s soaking up the water, and if I should mix it with water instead.

I’ve switched from pouring soap dough into a mold to pouring it right into ziplock bags. Then I leave it in there for 3-4 days and it’s ready to go. Keeps it air tight from the start and I don’t get any lumps.
Do you mix your activated charcoal with water or oil? I’ve been mixing mine with some of the recipe oils and the black soap dough gets so dry. I’m wondering if it’s soaking up the water, and if I should mix it with water instead.

Good idea about the bags! I used black oxide for the dough, not AC so I can’t answer that but I normally use oil to mix AC for coloring regular soap.

The weather is shocking today and I got up very early, so it's been quite a soapy day and I suspect I'm not done yet!

I got some handy shelves for super cheap, and quickly filled them with supplies (pictured) and bars of curing soap (not pictured)
IMG_20210309_115759.jpg

I made a batch of soap dough and split it 3 ways for primary-ish colours.
IMG_20210309_115747.jpg

I tried my hand at transparent soap (it's still going and I may be getting slightly tipsy from the alcohol fumes)
16153079293787400709464962445431.jpg

And I couldn't wait any longer and unmoulded the Castile. I thought it was basically set but it turns out it was still kind of soft at the ends (maybe insufficient gel?)
IMG_20210309_162159.jpg

I pushed on and cut it with my new slicer anyway, although I needed some assistance in getting a grip on it.
IMG_20210309_162646.jpg

But it was all worth the effort, I have many beautiful, even, smooth bars of soap! (And two egregious end pieces 😄 )
IMG_20210309_163404.jpg

Better than I expected! I thought they were going to be a disaster because my FO caused acceleration. Instead of soaping the next layer cooler, I panicked and soaped warmer. 🤦🏻‍♀️
The orange layer riced a little too. That was the first time I’ve seen ricing. I left it covered on the heating pad for some extra time and it was ready to unmold and cut really fast! Because the green thickened too fast, I had to spackle some holes between the legs, but not too bad.
I used 8th & Ocean by Nurture, but I was soaping at 100. Folks all say it behaves well at much lower.
Also, my hologlitter melted. Must’ve been the ling heat. New premium mold!
Dog Bless You!

Dawn dish soap escapes my floor when I wash a mountain of soap dishes.

Attachments

• 3FF2D830-7C53-4136-8B15-EA6E16F0DC2E.jpeg
    3FF2D830-7C53-4136-8B15-EA6E16F0DC2E.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 16
  • 5C0D7204-82A5-4226-BFCE-FB4E2631BFD5.jpeg
    5C0D7204-82A5-4226-BFCE-FB4E2631BFD5.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DB491F84-8EAF-4357-B360-8F9B3D57941D.jpeg
    DB491F84-8EAF-4357-B360-8F9B3D57941D.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 78FBB126-CEF4-4C3C-AF8D-FA1C3859FEF5.jpeg
    78FBB126-CEF4-4C3C-AF8D-FA1C3859FEF5.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 17
  • 6FA5C5F8-E341-4736-9810-E3E549E82D4A.jpeg
    6FA5C5F8-E341-4736-9810-E3E549E82D4A.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 03B48699-1A82-420D-A794-416F9F8772C5.jpeg
    03B48699-1A82-420D-A794-416F9F8772C5.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 14
  • AEC3F03E-5526-4156-BA9F-F7B19C535CCB.jpeg
    AEC3F03E-5526-4156-BA9F-F7B19C535CCB.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0CC8DDCF-54A6-4166-8097-F812ABF51FC1.jpeg
    0CC8DDCF-54A6-4166-8097-F812ABF51FC1.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 17
  • EB4AA729-2BEC-4A25-A07E-F150D9CFF27A.jpeg
    EB4AA729-2BEC-4A25-A07E-F150D9CFF27A.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The doorbell rang today and I hear my Husband call out: "What all did you buy??"
My only response was "Hey, it was a rough week last week"
Bahahaha... It might have been a rough week here last week too - I have a new scale coming today, a lotion crafter box came yesterday, and a soapers choice box is coming later this week (I hope... I had a damaged shipping notice this morning).

My soapy thing for the day... making smelly cups for this weekend's market so that folks wearing masks will be able to smell the soaps. Hoping I can squeeze in a batch of lip balms before we go to brew club tonight (after is not an option...). I also packed a box of odds and ends soaps to take to brew club, will trade for beer and farm fresh eggs, lol. The soaps are end cuts and overpours, and a few older soap bars... maybe that gawdawful rebatch I did...

Bahahaha... It might have been a rough week here last week too - I have a new scale coming today, a lotion crafter box came yesterday, and a soapers choice box is coming later this week (I hope... I had a damaged shipping notice this morning).

My soapy thing for the day... making smelly cups for this weekend's market so that folks wearing masks will be able to smell the soaps. Hoping I can squeeze in a batch of lip balms before we go to brew club tonight (after is not an option...). I also packed a box of odds and ends soaps to take to brew club, will trade for beer and farm fresh eggs, lol. The soaps are end cuts and overpours, and a few older soap bars... maybe that gawdawful rebatch I did...
We're doing our first craft show of the year this weekend too! I'm so excited!

I just washed and put these doo-dads into my soap tool drawer...

Just so-ya-know, I never needed these things (I already had 3 soaping spatulas) before all of YOU lured me into FANCY SOAPS. 😆

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BLNQRZG/https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DNV1J3X
I have soaping spatulas, lots of spatulas.... but those mini ones! OMG! I need those!

It’s easier to knead if you break the bars into smaller pieces to do it. Try the recipe I listed. I used distilled water and no additives.
I wonder if you can knead it in the kitchen aide with the dough hook? Probably not if it’s a small batch, but I might try it next time. My hands were killing me just squishing leftover soap in to small “planet” balls last night! I don’t even like kneading bread dough when I bake! Lol!

Food processor! Even better! 😍
I should probably add - I've literally just sat down from doing this and never tried it before. It's possible that the extra air introduced during mixing will mean the dough doesn't keep as long before going hard. I intend to use mine soon but haven't confirmed any success metrics yet...

Back