What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TashaBird I must of missed something' anyhow glad your lump is probably a cyst. I'd like to try that FO. Its hard to find an apple scent that smells good. IMHO. 👍🏼💫😉
Thanks, it was scary. Bodies are weird.
It’s apple smelling, but it’s SO much more complex than that Too! There’s definitely the floral lilac and maybe some other fruitiness. I love love it!

Weird day. A year ago today I became unemployed.

A week later I unearthed the box of lye I'd had for years, expecting to, when I worked up the nerve, make soap. I went from living a crazy hectic schedule to being home ALL day, EVERY day. Except for not being able to find food at the grocery stores for several weeks, and that surreal feeling of wearing a mask when I did brave the outside world to find what little food could be had, and being glued to the news to attain some sense of the scope of this "thing," it was blissful. Sort of. I enjoyed seeing my husband all day, every day. My dogs were immeasurably thrilled to have us home ALL THE TIME. Weeks turned into months. Months turned into a year...

I've made a lot of soap since then. I matched the newness of living in a pandemic with the newness of uncovering a new hobby. Making soap, and learning about how to make soap, became my parachute in the frightening unknowableness.

Funny thing is I didn't find these forums for several months! Prior to that I was just careening wildly with my stick blender and oils and fats and whatnot. 🤡 🤪
I too was careening wildly out there for several months when I started soaping! I had not even discovered soapy YouTubes. I found this forum when I was googling a mistake in my soap. LOL, it was glycerin rivers and I didn't even know that term. I had no idea what a large sub-culture community of soapers was out there!

Omg y’all!!! Squee!! I’ve two dear friends who’ve lost beloved black cat companions recently. I was thinking of them. Used Avalon by NS. Smells like apples and magick. I’ll have to do a proper gallery post soon. I was really needing a win. Been jonesing that soapamine rush!

Attachments

• C26B6E97-A4E8-4FD0-95F8-A8E0D548B007.jpeg
    C26B6E97-A4E8-4FD0-95F8-A8E0D548B007.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 13
I too was careening wildly out there for several months when I started soaping! I had not even discovered soapy YouTubes. I found this forum when I was googling a mistake in my soap. LOL, it was glycerin rivers and I didn't even know that term. I had no idea what a large sub-culture community of soapers was out there!
That's EXACTLY how I found this forum too, @Zing !
@The_Phoenix - your description perfectly describes what I did for years!
I love this "place"

I'm much like @The_Phoenix & Zing. I started making soap w/ no indication or hindsight of what I was doing. My First Video I watched was on YouTube' @ the time I remember thinking " Wow theirs a lot of ppl making soap who knew it's a thing"?. I discovered this group by accident' goggling info on ( "U guessed it' Soaping") almost two years after I started soaping. My First & Only Group Of Like Minded People. I cant express enough how much I appreciate all of you & looking forward when I can contribute to this group on my soaping knowledge to help others on their journey. Happy Soaping 🧼🤗💫

Omg y’all!!! Squee!! I’ve two dear friends who’ve lost beloved black cat companions recently. I was thinking of them. Used Avalon by NS. Smells like apples and magick. I’ll have to do a proper gallery post soon. I was really needing a win. Been jonesing that soapamine rush!
*squeal-* That is adorable!!!!!!

Would love to know how it turns out for you! I was very close to making it the other day but the huge quantity of castor oil put me off. I ended up just making a batch of my normal recipe for dough.

I used her recipe that was 50% lard, 30% CO, 20% OO. No castor. She says that you can sub the castor for OO. We shall see!

ETA. Unmolded perfectly today but needs a couple more days before I can kneed it. I tried with one bar and it was a tiny bit sticky so needs to lose a little more water.

Last edited:
No soap but I did attempt a lip butter, trying to dupe a brand name. Big news -- used my new silicone measuring cups! Game. Changed. Where have these been all my life full of hatred for cleaning up beeswax!!

Not sure how the butter will turn out. It seemed like the stevia didn't dissolve. I can always re-melt and tweak so I'm not terribly worried. My first with several ingredients including Cupuacu butter which felt great handling it.

And you all can tell me sons off!. They just laughed when I said I'm an influencer now on social media. Some people's kids.

Got lavender from my friend.

I got this red or pink clay in Mongolia, Gobi desert. Just scraped for free. Wish I got more of it. Brought back home also some sand, but do not use it much.

Attachments

• PXL_20210306_121252266.jpg
    PXL_20210306_121252266.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210305_030336329.jpg
    PXL_20210305_030336329.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210306_182750369.jpg
    PXL_20210306_182750369.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210306_183209728.jpg
    PXL_20210306_183209728.jpg