What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My soapy thing has been catching up on about a month of posts here. Missed you guys. Been feeling Covid crappy and haven’t done much of anything. I don’t have Covid. Just the low-level angst we are all dealing with.

And a giant smooch to whichever amazing person suggested putting the jar of EO into the soap mold! Forgetting the fragrance has been my number one problem lately.
I’m sure that was me. A lesson learnt from someone who’s been here longer than me. 😊

I've unmolded my first Circling Taiwan Swirl ever, I was very curious to see how this would turn up!
There are speckles of clay so I guess I didn't mix clay well enough. But the colours are actually showing more defined than I thought they would, I poured at what I thought was too thin a trace, but it seems it was enough after all (beginner's luck?).

It did have a few mm of soda ash on the top which I had to cut off, so next time I'll try to cover the mold it when it's CPOPing as I didn't this time 🤔 maybe it can make a difference.

Now thinking if it's worth welding two thin slices together (the soda ash tops that I cut off) to make mini soaps so they are easier to use?

Attachments

• IMG-20210302-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20210302-WA0014.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20210302-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20210302-WA0010.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20210302-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20210302-WA0016.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 11
I almost went to bed without showing you all my terrible soap cuts from last night batch LOL. There is nothing pretty about it LOL. Don't tell me that somebody somewhere will find beauty in it, they wont. In person it looks like there is mold in it. My friend said that he didn't like the weird flesh colored parts LMBO. I think that if I had stirred it up a bit more, it might have had a galaxy look.

Without further adieu, please enjoy...Beach, by Kim

View attachment 54685
Okay, I get that the intention and the outcome are a mismatch, and I cannot see it in person. But I am the somebody somewhere that likes it. Looks like marble.

Okay, I get that the intention and the outcome are a mismatch, and I cannot see it in person. But I am the somebody somewhere that likes it. Looks like marble.
I totally agree @Catscankim - marble was my first thought when I looked at it, too. And if it smells good, I bet it well sell. Then again, with your sales skills, you could probably sell water to fish. But that is beside the point, which is that this soap isn't ugly at ALL.

If y’all ever see those funnel spouted measuring cups larger than 3.5cups, please for the love of the soap gods, let me know!
Apparently only support for supply buying in this group!
NS has made me a custom piece for my wire cutter, and it’s on the way. Yay! AND, my second 7.5lb loaf is on the way too, even though the website still says back ordered until 3/10. The guy said, “i may have one in the back”, and I guess he did! Yay!
@Jersey Girl that is a beautiful confetti soap! Like the old saying “good artists borrow, great artists steal!” Love it! I may have to try it. My scraps are piling up!!

Stop, I've done enough shopping recently, I don't need any more temptation! 😆

The colours are going a bit funny in the middle, I used liquid soap colouring on its own and I guess it's not temperature stable maybe? In any case I'm not too worried about the aesthetics for this one!

It smells like a hot porridge on a chilly spring morning with the breeze from the garden wafting in through the window 🥴 I really really hope it lasts, at least long enough for me to use it up!
Wohooo! So nice to see the outcome. I like the effect of the partial gel! They almost look like landscape bars with the partial gel being clouds. Dreamy description of the smell - I can almost smell it myself...aaaahhhhhh

Wohooo! So nice to see the outcome. I like the effect of the partial gel! They almost look like landscape bars with the partial gel being clouds. Dreamy description of the smell - I can almost smell it myself...aaaahhhhhh
Thanks, and thanks for your input on the feedback thread! I started down a mineral oil rabbit hole (ok, that sounds stranger than I intended 🤭) and found this discussion about Vaseline soap and all sorts of interesting other things. Given that I live in a farming area a lot of places sell animal supplies, even our local pharmacy has a huge section of products for milking cows, marking sheep, all that kind of stuff. I must give it a closer look next time and see if there are any fascinating ingredients lurking on those shelves. I've already been asking the vet about the kaolin clay they sell in his office...

I'll have a problem when I start masterbatching lye! Yep! I'll admit it then! *adds large lye safe containers to amazon wishlist....
You can use liquid laundry detergent bottles for this. They are free - sort of. Have to take the labels off and write on them in thick black texts but they work well especially the ones with a spout built in.

Stop, I've done enough shopping recently, I don't need any more temptation! 😆

I did some early soapy stuff this morning, my gardener's soap was solid so I practiced my cutting techniques on it. In fact it was very very solid (which I hope bodes well for the durability of the cured bars?) so despite trying with the wire cutter, and the bladed cheese cutter, I ended up getting the best results from a long kitchen knife and a mitre block.

View attachment 54674

The colours are going a bit funny in the middle, I used liquid soap colouring on its own and I guess it's not temperature stable maybe? In any case I'm not too worried about the aesthetics for this one!

The absolute best thing so far is the smell! I went quite light on the oils, and washed the tallow, and it's just so... wholesome. It smells like a hot porridge on a chilly spring morning with the breeze from the garden wafting in through the window 🥴 I really really hope it lasts, at least long enough for me to use it up!
View attachment 54684
Love your description of soap scent. hope the scent last too.
I made these soaps using Zany's No Slime Castile recipe.

Single molds: 100% olive oil

Wooden mold: 85% olive oil, 10% ex virgin coconut oil & 5% castor.

Both came out beautiful 😍. I can't wait to try these soaps.

Thank you, Zany for sharing the great recipe!
Beautiful soap.
I've unmolded my first Circling Taiwan Swirl ever, I was very curious to see how this would turn up!
There are speckles of clay so I guess I didn't mix clay well enough. But the colours are actually showing more defined than I thought they would, I poured at what I thought was too thin a trace, but it seems it was enough after all (beginner's luck?).

It did have a few mm of soda ash on the top which I had to cut off, so next time I'll try to cover the mold it when it's CPOPing as I didn't this time 🤔 maybe it can make a difference.

Now thinking if it's worth welding two thin slices together (the soda ash tops that I cut off) to make mini soaps so they are easier to use?
Very nice' Often no matter how hard we try to avoid soda ash' It just happens.

I almost went to bed without showing you all my terrible soap cuts from last night batch LOL. There is nothing pretty about it LOL. Don't tell me that somebody somewhere will find beauty in it, they wont. In person it looks like there is mold in it. My friend said that he didn't like the weird flesh colored parts LMBO. I think that if I had stirred it up a bit more, it might have had a galaxy look.

View attachment 54685
🧼💫👍🏼

View attachment 54685
I love it! Call it natural stone and you're onto a winner.

You can use liquid laundry detergent bottles for this. They are free - sort of. Have to take the labels off and write on them in thick black texts but they work well especially the ones with a spout built in.
I know.. I've been keeping an eye out at work and neighbors. I make my own laundry detergent so I don't have any on hand and I hate to buy it just for that because I'm so used to my detergent. LOL.. I don't think I'm quite ready to start masterbatching yet. I was also kinda joking in that post. I mean I do have large chemical safe containers on my Amazon wishlist... but they were already there at the time of the post! 😁 :D

Don't tell me that somebody somewhere will find beauty in it, they wont.
I do! It's a pretty cool abstract piece of art...I actually see the beach when I look at it.

So silly and cute! And I love Smell the Rainbow from NS!!
I said when I got the 3.5”x3.5” mold that I’d only fill it 3/4 full. But that hasn’t happened to many times yet.
It keeps cracking me up that on the days I’m struggling w my mental health the most, the more outrageously silly, cute, whimsical, comical, colorful, cheery my soaps seem to be.
#soapingiscoping
I expect the colors will brighten a bit as it dries.
AND my new batch of soap dough is dough, not DOH!

Attachments

• 62BA3826-5184-4104-9916-5CC334A078C2.jpeg
    62BA3826-5184-4104-9916-5CC334A078C2.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 14
  • F2B044C5-7608-4F5B-97A4-4E29FDA6775E.jpeg
    F2B044C5-7608-4F5B-97A4-4E29FDA6775E.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 10
  • 9A2871FE-B0D2-4BE8-9F9E-79A59CE96EBF.jpeg
    9A2871FE-B0D2-4BE8-9F9E-79A59CE96EBF.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 12
  • A95DA36F-7547-4BC4-9029-2EF03B81B779.jpeg
    A95DA36F-7547-4BC4-9029-2EF03B81B779.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 15
So silly and cute! And I love Smell the Rainbow from NS!!
I said when I got the 3.5”x3.5” mold that I’d only fill it 3/4 full. But that hasn’t happened to many times yet.
It keeps cracking me up that on the days I’m struggling w my mental health the most, the more outrageously silly, cute, whimsical, comical, colorful, cheery my soaps seem to be.
#soapingiscoping
I expect the colors will brighten a bit as it dries.
AND my new batch of soap dough is dough, not DOH!

So cute!!! ♥♥♥
ETA...you’re making me want an extruder now...😂😂😂😂

So cute!!! ♥♥♥
ETA...you’re making me want an extruder now...😂😂😂😂
I’m about to go extruder crazy!!! The new jerky gun I got is making me so happy! All that winding with the little Walnut Hollow was a repetitive stress injury waiting to happen. And, it took fooooooooooreeeeeeeeveeeeer!

View attachment 54685
Listen Lady, I saw the pic before the post and said ooohhhh out loud. I LOVE the artsy look of this design.

Back