What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my next soapy purchases will probably be a water distiller machine
There's such a thing? This would be a benefit to hubby (beer brewing) and myself! I'm always running out of water (and my goodness, lotion making uses up a lot of water!). Do you have one specifically that you're looking at?

Anyone else get a hard fat that arrives in a big bag that’s stuffed into a box?
Yep, that's how most Soapers Choice oils come. I masterbatch my oils, so when my box comes I (almost immediately) portion out my hard oils into ziploc gallon bags - the ones with the extra pleats (I forgot what they're called, maybe "stand and fill"?) work better for getting more in a bag - then I carefully smoosh the bag as flat as I can to get out the air and for stacking in my freezer. I label every bag with the date, what and how much is in it, and each bag has a number. The bag number helps me keep track of how close I am to being out - for example, my tallow block I get 16 bags. I label my bags 1-16, then make sure I stack the bags in the freezer so that 1 is on top and 16 is on the bottom. When I get to bag 12-14, I know it's time to order more. I should also note that we have a large deep freeze that my family doesn't entirely utilize for food, so I have claimed half for storing some of my bulk oils.

My soapy stuff has been avoiding soapy stuff this week. Although I did commit myself Tuesday night to finishing the flower embeds that I have been working on forever, and making some feather embeds. I did dishes today and I masterbatched a bucket of vegan oils.

There's such a thing? This would be a benefit to hubby (beer brewing) and myself! I'm always running out of water (and my goodness, lotion making uses up a lot of water!). Do you have one specifically that you're looking at?
What I want and what I can afford are not the same. ;) They have a large model that is about $1500, and countertop models for $100. I'll probably want something a little sturdier that is all stainless, like this one.

There's such a thing?
Yes, we have a full house reverse osmosis that was very expensive to install, but rather inexpensive to maintain - we have to buy salt for it about every 2 months (total cost is $30 for 5 of those big salt bricks from the feed store)

We also have an under-the-sink reverse osmosis unit. Was not that expensive, but the filters are, but we only change the filters every 9-12 months depending on use.
I should state, this is in my lab sink and the water I use for soaping, lotions, and other b&b products and have never had a problem with it.

Our under the sink is similar to this one - APEC Water Systems Essence Premium Quality 5-Stage Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System-ROES-50 - The Home Depot
but I've had it for over 9 years, so I'm sure not the same model.

What I want and what I can afford are not the same.
You and me both! [funny story... my 13 yo daughter is obsessed with looking at houses on Zillow... houses in the range of 78 MILLION dollars... clearly she has this problem too...] I do appreciate the link! It's something to look into, might be worth the investment for me, but not so sure about hubby if it only kicks out a gallon every 5.5 hours. He would need to plan brewing in advance.

ETA: thanks for chiming in J - I forgot that you had a system too!

Yep, that's how most Soapers Choice oils come. I masterbatch my oils, so when my box comes I (almost immediately) portion out my hard oils into ziploc gallon bags - the ones with the extra pleats (I forgot what they're called, maybe "stand and fill"?) work better for getting more in a bag - then I carefully smoosh the bag as flat as I can to get out the air and for stacking in my freezer. I label every bag with the date, what and how much is in it, and each bag has a number. The bag number helps me keep track of how close I am to being out - for example, my tallow block I get 16 bags. I label my bags 1-16, then make sure I stack the bags in the freezer so that 1 is on top and 16 is on the bottom. When I get to bag 12-14, I know it's time to order more. I should also note that we have a large deep freeze that my family doesn't entirely utilize for food, so I have claimed half for storing some of my bulk oils.

My soapy stuff has been avoiding soapy stuff this week. Although I did commit myself Tuesday night to finishing the flower embeds that I have been working on forever, and making some feather embeds. I did dishes today and I masterbatched a bucket of vegan oils.
When you say “master batch” do you mean you put a blend of oils in the ziplock with the hard fats?
Thanks for the sorting, bagging, and freezing tip! I have a deep freeze too. And sadly there’s a lot of room in it. But my soap shop is pretty chilly, and I go through it fast.

When you say “master batch” do you mean you put a blend of oils in the ziplock with the hard fats
Nope, just the single oil - my master batches are too big to get all the oils in a bag. I portion out all of my hard oils separately, then when I need them I can grab and dump into one big pot. Also helps me know if I have enough oils to masterbatch - I can track the liquid oils pretty good by sight, but the hard oils always been to catch me by surprise.

I get lard in a 50 lb “bag in a box“ but it doesn’t melt as I keep it in an unheated back porch room during the cold months. I bring it inside and squirrel it in a corner in the house with air conditioning during the few months that it’s hot. I have a large plastic paint bucket with lid from Home Depot that I fill from the bag so I only have to grab that when I want to soap and not the whole huge box. I just refill the bucket from the box as it gets low.
At first glance, I thought you were saying that when you brought it in from the porch there was a squirrel in it. 😂

@linne1gi we are in Idaho. Due to lower housing costs, low regulation, and low cost of living (not to mention beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation), people are moving into this state like crazy. Lots of Californian are cashing out and migrating here to escape the taxes. They are bringing lots of cash, and that drives the prices up so fast.

It's sad, because wages here haven't caught up, and many folks who have lived here for a long time can no longer afford to buy anything. I'm very thankful we bought when we did.

Last edited:
Thanks!

The tin is the handiest thing ever, it's an adjustable bread loaf tin. I got mine at Lakelands, but this seems to be the same one: 12x4 inch Multisize Cake and Bread Tin.
That’s such a good idea. It makes me think that I could make slotted wood pieces to fit together to provide support for some of my silicone molds that want to bow. All I need are side pieces, and if I could take them apart they would be easy to store flat.

Thank you, it's a simple mica drizzle, randomly swirled as the soap was setting up fast!
you're lucky, anytime I try to do a "random" anything it ends in tears and disaster! There are a few soapers who just have these ideas on the fly and they can make them work, the woman from TeaMarie Soapworks comes to mind "oh, I'll just randomly put these soap dots here and there" and she ends up with a gorgeous soap. Meanwhile I try the same thing and its an unmitigated disaster!:beatinghead:

you're lucky, anytime I try to do a "random" anything it ends in tears and disaster! There are a few soapers who just have these ideas on the fly and they can make them work, the woman from TeaMarie Soapworks comes to mind "oh, I'll just randomly put these soap dots here and there" and she ends up with a gorgeous soap. Meanwhile I try the same thing and its an unmitigated disaster!:beatinghead:
If I remember correctly, Terri from TreeMarie Soapworks happens to be/have been an art major. She's talented, knowledgeable in art composition, and very detail-oriented. I love her instructional videos on different techniques, but I fully expect my results to vary!

If I remember correctly, Terri from TreeMarie Soapworks happens to be/have been an art major. She's talented, knowledgeable in art composition, and very detail-oriented. I love her instructional videos on different techniques, but I fully expect my results to vary!

Truth!

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. I'm also going to try to change my mindset to "my results varied" from "OMG, WHAT THE &*!$ IS THIS?!?!?!?!???"

Last edited:
Reading your post is eye opening. We are also moving, although not as soon as you because we are buying a new house (yet to be built), but our housing market here is ridiculously good also - there are people buying homes in our development sight unseen for a great price. My husband thinks we should sell early, since it is a sellers market, but our house won't be ready until late fall and we obviously have to live somewhere. That means packing and moving twice, I don't know if I can do that! Anyway, where in the country do you live Alioop? We live in South Florida on the Treasure Coast.
A few weeks ago I was house hunting. I would go look at like six at a time...everywhere from near me to near you, then tell the realtor the next day what I liked, and she would tell me that all the houses I looked at the day before were already under contract. This happened over and over. It is crazy how fast everything is going here. Fixer-uppers are selling close to $200k. It's insane. People are on a buying frenzy.

These are my favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N32WEAC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are rigid, no crevices to collect gunk, no threat of the silicone end coming off, clean up easily, and can take a beating.
Thank you for this suggestion. I am going to buy them. I get it with being frugal and all, but I have purchased spatulas from the dollar store, and they served me well, but they have ridges and are a pain to clean. Plus the rubber comes off when I am washing them. These look like what I want.

Well I was inspired by everyone being so impressed with my baking tin and decided to push it a bit further! I wanted to do a batch where I just lined the tin directly with a single folded sheet of paper, to take advantage of the nice square edges and avoid some of the messing around that comes with the loaf mould.

I made an EO blend with Pine, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lavender that reminded me of forests so I wanted to do a tree- or leaf-inspired design and found this post: Christmas Green

Just to complicate things further I wanted to try CPOP for the first time since I get partial gel every time I do a deeper batch of soap and I wanted to enhance the green colour as much as possible.

This is it just after pouring; I think the batter was still a little thin so it was a bit less controlled than I was hoping, but still fairly tree-ish:
IMG_20210224_204148.jpg

I was a bit panicked after taking it out of the oven, it just looked like a bit gelatinous blob and I had visions of all that fiddly work going to waste:
IMG_20210224_213107.jpg

Luckily after leaving overnight and some judicious cutting I'm pretty happy with the results:
IMG_20210225_093616.jpg

They're kind of blobby, but undeniably tree-shaped! I'll definitely be practicing this technique some more.

Well I was inspired by everyone being so impressed with my baking tin and decided to push it a bit further! I wanted to do a batch where I just lined the tin directly with a single folded sheet of paper, to take advantage of the nice square edges and avoid some of the messing around that comes with the loaf mould.

I made an EO blend with Pine, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Lavender that reminded me of forests so I wanted to do a tree- or leaf-inspired design and found this post: Christmas Green

Just to complicate things further I wanted to try CPOP for the first time since I get partial gel every time I do a deeper batch of soap and I wanted to enhance the green colour as much as possible.

This is it just after pouring; I think the batter was still a little thin so it was a bit less controlled than I was hoping, but still fairly tree-ish:
View attachment 54459

I was a bit panicked after taking it out of the oven, it just looked like a bit gelatinous blob and I had visions of all that fiddly work going to waste:
View attachment 54460

Luckily after leaving overnight and some judicious cutting I'm pretty happy with the results:
View attachment 54461

They're kind of blobby, but undeniably tree-shaped! I'll definitely be practicing this technique some more.
Definitely tree shaped, they are very cool!

Back