What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Angie Gail thank you for that tip! I'll try stopping just after emulsion and see how that looks as a swirl. I think I was concerned that the colours would start mixing if they were too runny...

You’re right that your colors will muddle in an ITPS if the batter is too runny, but if you stop mixing at emulsion, by the time you separate and color your batter and then add fragrance, it should have thickened up a bit more, plus at that point, if it is too thin still you can hand whisk it a bit until it gets to the right consistency.

I ”borrowed” a rubber scraper from the kitchen last week. Now my eggs taste like vetyver FO. Do not recommend. Blech!
I need more scrapers. I have a bunch that suck. Do you have ones you recommend?

I got these at IKEA. I don’t know if there is one near you but thet are only $2 and I really like them. I had trouble finding spatulas I liked. These are one piece which is very important to me. They are 10 inches long and the head part isn’t too wide or too thick and it’s pretty flexible but not too flexible. I really like them and I’ve tried a few! I am still looking for some mini spatulas that are affordable and that work really great too. The search for the perfect tools never ends. LOL
AD0C3B37-AE9E-4D41-ACC7-2A3411DC8DB2.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like them and I’ve tried a few! I am still looking for some mini spatulas that are affordable and that work really great too. The search for the perfect tools never ends. LOL
Have you tried dollar tree? I get my mini silicone (1-piece) spatulas from Dollar tree. I have like 5 of them that I've had for years, and have only had to replace one of them once.

Have you tried dollar tree? I get my mini silicone (1-piece) spatulas from Dollar tree. I have like 5 of them that I've had for years, and have only had to replace one of them once.

I originally bought the red Betty Crocker ones with the double ends at the dollar tree, but they were kind of long, not too flexible and not one piece so a pain to clean. I haven’t seen minis at my Dollar Tree. Possibly they don’t carry them anymore. I will be looking more closely the next time I go though! Thank you! Can you snap a pic of the ones you have?

I originally bought the red Betty Crocker ones with the double ends at the dollar tree, but they were kind of long, not too flexible and not one piece so a pain to clean. I haven’t seen minis at my Dollar Tree. Possibly they don’t carry them anymore. I will be looking more closely the next time I go though! Thank you! Can you snap a pic of the ones you have?
These are the ones I get - (the orange one) but I have at least a couple of each of these.
https://www.dollartree.com/cooking-concepts-silicone-kitchen-tools/246367
Meant to add - these are only like 6" long, so are mini - you can't really tell from the pic.

@TashaBird I use the same brand she lists above, but prefer the George's brand since it is usually less money where I live, and it has no additives. I love AVJ for added bubbles and label appeal, but obviously it is a LOT more expensive than distilled water. One of my next soapy purchases will probably be a water distiller machine -- so I can keep soaping even through natural disasters, zombie apocalypses, etc.

Speaking of soapy things, yesterday I got to unmold my Bud log splitter. So excited that I can finally use my small Nurture slab mold to make some designs.

However, soapmaking is going to take a back seat for a bit. Out of the blue, we were approached to see if we would sell our home. We said no, the house is not for sale, and if it were, we wouldn't sell for less than $ (insert ridiculously overpriced sum of money here). They came back with an offer to buy it as-is at that price, no inspections, waiving all appraisals, closing in three weeks. WHAT??? Our market here is insane, to say the least.

We scrambled and found ONE place that we absolutely love, and which we can buy for cash using the sale proceeds. They accepted our offer today. Soooooo apparently we are selling our house and moving in a few weeks. :oops:😅😝 And then we will be debt-free. I might have to call Dave Ramsey's show and scream, haha.

My only sadness is that we cannot bring our beloved chickens. 😭 🐔🐓🐔🐓 If the buyer doesn't want them, I must find wonderful homes for them, stat.

All that to say, I may not be very soapy or very active here for the next month or so. Then again, the stress of it all may drive me to make LOTS of soap and to seek solace from my soapy friends. We shall see!
Reading your post is eye opening. We are also moving, although not as soon as you because we are buying a new house (yet to be built), but our housing market here is ridiculously good also - there are people buying homes in our development sight unseen for a great price. My husband thinks we should sell early, since it is a sellers market, but our house won't be ready until late fall and we obviously have to live somewhere. That means packing and moving twice, I don't know if I can do that! Anyway, where in the country do you live Alioop? We live in South Florida on the Treasure Coast.

🐓 Chicken adoption update: some good friends want the chickens and the coops! I sure will miss my girls, but I’m so excited that they will have a good home!! 🐓

Chickens are really all the rage right now. So glad you found them a home. Sometimes when I'm stressed out at work I just look at random pictures of chickens in sweaters. Its so cute.

Reading your post is eye opening. We are also moving, although not as soon as you because we are buying a new house (yet to be built), but our housing market here is ridiculously good also - there are people buying homes in our development sight unseen for a great price. My husband thinks we should sell early, since it is a sellers market, but our house won't be ready until late fall and we obviously have to live somewhere. That means packing and moving twice, I don't know if I can do that! Anyway, where in the country do you live Alioop? We live in South Florida on the Treasure Coast.
We used AirBnB places (many will rent monthly at a reasonable rate for several months at a time) while our house was being finished because our other house sold faster than expected. Good and bad, huh? The dog was so confused. It was a bit of a hot mess because, while I limited each hobby to what would fit in a single 18g tote, I insisted on bringing two of those hobbies - oh and all my cooking spices. My husband is so freaking nice.

Most of mine have come from Target: sturdy, reinforced 1-piece silicone that can't come apart and has with no creases for batter to hide in. Stiff enough to get into corners, but flexible enough to scrape well. $5 each.
And when I'm cooking or baking, I find myself bemoaning the terrible quality/quantity of the kitchen spatulas, because I'm not good at remembering life things while I'm thinking soap things. 🤪

I got some like this from Walmart and I have never been able to find them again because I wanted another set..

I got to cut my 4th batch today. It's milk and honey FO, with about a third coloured with gold mica and I attempted an in the pot swirl, but once again I used the SB slightly too much, so the uncoloured batter was quite thick. I'm still quite pleased to have some visual interest within the bar at least.

I have enough of the same FO to try again soon. I think I'll use a yellow mica since the gold reads more like caramel to me in the swirls. This time I'll aim to be more patient, and just keep stirring instead of thinking "I'll just give it a very quick pulse with the stick blender..."

View attachment 54441
I LOVE the gold on top, so very cool.

Chickens are really all the rage right now. So glad you found them a home. Sometimes when I'm stressed out at work I just look at random pictures of chickens in sweaters. Its so cute.
We have had them for years, before it was a fad. We just love the fresh eggs, and they are so fun to watch with their quirky personalities. I will miss them a LOT.

Back