What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you use AVJ (I guess that's aloe vera juice)? Just substitute it for the same amount of water?
Yep! It's not nearly as high in sugar as a lot of other juices, so it doesn't discolor your soap very much. I believe it's also got stuff that helps the bubbles stick around longer, in addition to helping make more of them.

Yep! It's not nearly as high in sugar as a lot of other juices, so it doesn't discolor your soap very much. I believe it's also got stuff that helps the bubbles stick around longer, in addition to helping make more of them.
I usually add a little sugar to my lye water so would I not need to do that if I used AVJ?

I usually add a little sugar to my lye water so would I not need to do that if I used AVJ?
I wouldn't consider AVJ a sugar replacer by any means. I'm sure it has more sugar than distilled water (a very low bar indeed), but I wouldn't lower the sugar amount at all just from switching from water to AVJ.

Pretty swirls! What is being used to hold the milk carton mold, please? It looks like something I might need to seek out!

Thanks!

The tin is the handiest thing ever, it's an adjustable bread loaf tin. I got mine at Lakelands, but this seems to be the same one: 12x4 inch Multisize Cake and Bread Tin.

Yes, full water replacement. It has some natural sugars so you get a bubble boost, too! :)
Do you have a brand you like?

I’ve never seen such a thing. Very clever solution to keeping your filled mold from slouching. I’d love one for baking.
One of my favorite tool makers also makes a wooden support for milk cartons. She also makes pull throughs for said milk cartons. This makes me hate being lactose intolerant even more than I already do... just sayin.
https://www.wildplantanica.com/prod...-extensions-and-squeeze-bottle-for-easier-cen
I’ve never seen such a thing. Very clever solution to keeping your filled mold from slouching. I’d love one for baking.
Ah! My mistake, your comment was referring to the horizontal milk carton.

Ah! My mistake, your comment was referring to the horizontal milk carton.
Funny, I wasn't even thinking of the multi-compartment thing to make soap with. I was thinking of using it to bake. 😅

One of my favorite tool makers also makes a wooden support for milk cartons. She also makes pull throughs for said milk cartons. This makes me hate being lactose intolerant even more than I already do... just sayin.
https://www.wildplantanica.com/prod...-extensions-and-squeeze-bottle-for-easier-cen
That's a great kit for beginners. I'll keep an eye on this and buy when it's back in stock. Thank you for posting this, @TashaBird!

Confession: For the first time in months, I don't want to make soap. Weird. And it's not like I NEED to make soap. It's not like my soap is flying off the shelves. If my family ever finds ourselves stuck in a zombie apocalypse, we may need to scavenge for food eventually, but we'll never be dirty.

If my family ever finds ourselves stuck in a zombie apocalypse, we may need to scavenge for food eventually, but we'll never be dirty.
Same here! I’ve got enough soap and homemade cleaning supplies and laundry supplies to make us the cleanest household for centuries!

Do you have a brand you like?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Original-128-Fl-Oz-1-Count/10314798Pretty inexpensive and I love using it in my soap. I think it makes a nice lathering creamy soap! If I’m not using coconut milk I’m using this! And bonus it doesn’t seem to overheat like milks do!🤔😬🥰

Confession: For the first time in months, I don't want to make soap. Weird. And it's not like I NEED to make soap. It's not like my soap is flying off the shelves. If my family ever finds ourselves stuck in a zombie apocalypse, we may need to scavenge for food eventually, but we'll never be dirty.
Same here! I’ve got enough soap and homemade cleaning supplies and laundry supplies to make us the cleanest household for centuries!
At the start of the pandemic, our friends were telling us that they knew whose house to raid for soap and laundry detergent. And my wife's larder is always overflowing with jams and canned fruits and veggies and pickles and salsa, etc.
And yes, you NEED to make soap!

The only soapy thing I did today was wash my soaping stuff that I forgot I hid from making my chamomile soap on Friday. I’m working six days this week cause a coworker is in vacation and trying to clean my kid’s kitchen mess and found ‘em today! It was the suddiest washing ever! But I’m thinking my stainless steel spoon I used to stir my lye solution isn’t stainless still! I’ll stick to my silicone dollar tree spoons and spatulas!
image.jpg
ETA: and I just got my first Nurture Soap order! How exciting! Look at all those bright mica samples!
image.jpg
“Make Soap like a Ross” ~ my new mantra!🥰😍

Last edited:
@TashaBird I use the same brand she lists above, but prefer the George's brand since it is usually less money where I live, and it has no additives. I love AVJ for added bubbles and label appeal, but obviously it is a LOT more expensive than distilled water. One of my next soapy purchases will probably be a water distiller machine -- so I can keep soaping even through natural disasters, zombie apocalypses, etc.

Speaking of soapy things, yesterday I got to unmold my Bud log splitter. So excited that I can finally use my small Nurture slab mold to make some designs.

However, soapmaking is going to take a back seat for a bit. Out of the blue, we were approached to see if we would sell our home. We said no, the house is not for sale, and if it were, we wouldn't sell for less than $ (insert ridiculously overpriced sum of money here). They came back with an offer to buy it as-is at that price, no inspections, waiving all appraisals, closing in three weeks. WHAT??? Our market here is insane, to say the least.

We scrambled and found ONE place that we absolutely love, and which we can buy for cash using the sale proceeds. They accepted our offer today. Soooooo apparently we are selling our house and moving in a few weeks. :oops:😅😝 And then we will be debt-free. I might have to call Dave Ramsey's show and scream, haha.

My only sadness is that we cannot bring our beloved chickens. 😭 🐔🐓🐔🐓 If the buyer doesn't want them, I must find wonderful homes for them, stat.

All that to say, I may not be very soapy or very active here for the next month or so. Then again, the stress of it all may drive me to make LOTS of soap and to seek solace from my soapy friends. We shall see!

Last edited:
@AliOop I’ve never used distilled water. I always use filtered tap, or plain tap. 🤷🏻‍♀️
But I like the bubble benefit and label appeal of the AVJ. I will soon run out of my fresh goat milk stash and plan to give it a try. Thanks!
And congrats on your big sale and move! I hope your chickens get love and you transition goes smooth.

@TashaBird I use the same brand she lists above, but prefer the George's brand since it is usually less money where I live, and it has no additives. I love AVJ for added bubbles and label appeal, but obviously it is a LOT more expensive than distilled water. One of my next soapy purchases will probably be a water distiller machine -- so I can keep soaping even through natural disasters, zombie apocalypses, etc.

Speaking of soapy things, yesterday I got to unmold my Bud log splitter. So excited that I can finally use my small Nurture slab mold to make some designs. However, soapmaking is going to take a back seat for a bit. Out of the blue, we were approached to see if we would sell our home. We said no, the house is not for sale, and if it were, we wouldn't sell for less than $ (insert ridiculously overpriced sum of money here). They came back with an offer to buy it as-is at that price, no inspections, waiving all appraisals, closing in three weeks. WHAT??? Our market here is insane, to say the least.

We scrambled and found ONE place that we absolutely love, and which we can buy for cash using the sale proceeds. They accepted our offer today. Apparently we are selling our house and moving in a few weeks. :oops:😅😝

My only sadness is that we cannot bring our beloved chickens. 😭 🐔🐓🐔🐓 If the buyer doesn't want them, I will have to find homes for them, stat.

All that to say, I may not be very soapy or very active here for the next month or so. Then again, the stress of it all may drive me to make LOTS of soap. We shall see!
WHAT??!! Does this really happen? Is this an episode of Fantasy Island (just gave away my age there)?! This will be an exciting and stressful time, good luck on all the details and transitions! #SoapingIsCoping

@AliOop I’ve never used distilled water. I always use filtered tap, or plain tap. 🤷🏻‍♀️
But I like the bubble benefit and label appeal of the AVJ. I will soon run out of my fresh goat milk stash and plan to give it a try. Thanks!
And congrats on your big sale and move! I hope your chickens get love and you transition goes smooth.
I have to use distilled water because our water is super hard otherwise I would probably just use tap water. You can just dig a little anywhere around us and find limestone. It's also why we can't have basements here; the ground is too rocky and shifty. I've always been so jealous of people with basements. I live in tornado alley too and a basement would be so nice.

I got some AVJ yesterday and I'm going to try that in my next batch as we can't find distilled water because of the craziness going on in Texas right now.

Speaking of soapy things, yesterday I got to unmold my Bud log splitter. So excited that I can finally use my small Nurture slab mold to make some designs. However, soapmaking is going to take a back seat for a bit. Out of the blue, we were approached to see if we would sell our home. We said no, the house is not for sale, and if it were, we wouldn't sell for less than $ (insert ridiculously overpriced sum of money here). They came back with an offer to buy it as-is at that price, no inspections, waiving all appraisals, closing in three weeks. WHAT??? Our market here is insane, to say the least.

We scrambled and found ONE place that we absolutely love, and which we can buy for cash using the sale proceeds. They accepted our offer today. Apparently we are selling our house and moving in a few weeks. :oops:😅😝

My only sadness is that we cannot bring our beloved chickens. 😭 🐔🐓🐔🐓 If the buyer doesn't want them, I will have to find homes for them, stat.

All that to say, I may not be very soapy or very active here for the next month or so. Then again, the stress of it all may drive me to make LOTS of soap. We shall see!

Thats crazy about your house! But exciting! Best of luck with the move! Now onto the Bud Splitter...you’ve pushed me over the edge, lol. I need one! 😂

@Jersey Girl yes, you do! I can't wait to use mine!!

@Zing thank you, it does feel surreal. We prayed that the doors would close if we weren't supposed to do this. Not only did they NOT close, but the seller of the place we are buying took our offer that was $5k below asking, despite having other full-price and over-price offers. Ok God, we hear you!

Anyway, because I believe in giving credit where credit is due, when I order my T-shirt with your slogan, it will be like this with your SMF avatar below it:

#SoapingisCoping
~Zing

Last edited:
Being impatient and checking on my 2nd (ever) CP batch.
It's a olive oil/beeswax/coffee/water discount recipe. The top is firm and ready to cut but I think maybe I didn't "work" the bottom layer as much so it needs more time.
I'm used to M&P where you have to work like Sonic the hedgehog and it's done in a hour or two. So it's a bit of a anxiety trip.
Also waiting for your tools to be ok to clean is trippy too. With M&P its sooooo "gotta go fast!" So maybe I'll distract myself by making some small M&Ps to give my mind the "congratulations you were productive" achievement.

Latest posts

Back