What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ALWAYS put the fragrance in the mold. That way, I cant get to the pour without it. - ETA: Ope, looks like others beat me to this tip

Now, can someone direct me to a non-maddening way to line a soap mold? 20 cuss word full minutes and Ive decided I hate doing it.
Lisa from "I Dream in Soap" on YouTube has a tutorial on creating your own silicone molds/liners. Otherwise, rotary mat/ruler/cutter from the fabric section of your local craft store might make square corners and even edges easier/faster.

Thanks! its a combo of Trial by Fire by Nuture and voodoo by Mad Micas. 3-1 blend
Thank you so much I really appreciate it. I just ordered a red from NS' now I cant remember which one I looked at a few. When I saw your beautiful soap I knew that your color was a blend of colors' yah just cant get that vibrant depth from one color. Beautiful & Stunning! 🤗🧼.

Ouch! Hope it's ok! I have a tendancy to hit the power button of my stick blender just as I'm removing it from hot soup! Hasn't happened - yet - in soaping.

I've read a few threads where folks expressed some concerns about soaping in their tiny kitchens. I think both I and @Zing (?) have chimed in that soaping in a small kitchen is no big deal and completely doable. While I do have a small soaping area in our basement, I still come upstairs to use the stove to make liquid soap and, today, those threads came to mind as I was setting up. So, here's a pic of how I soap using 2ft of counter top space in our kitchen, and I could probably do the same with even less space. One thing that IS not pictured is my small 18" square laundry basket that's on the floor. This is where I put things, like my oils and lye and scale, as they are used and no longer needed - it's also what I use to haul my soaping goodies up the stairs. Soap on my soapy friends!!! :)
View attachment 54234

I live is a small condo and my kitchen is a small U shape. I have it down to a bit of a science... colorants on one side of the sink; oil mixing on the other side of the sink. Measuring lye/liquid and oils on the other side where my scale is. I pour either on one side or the other or sometimes on my cooktop. Works pretty good for me!

1. Buy a roll of oven liner.
2. Cut five pieces: one for each side of the mold, and one for the bottom. You can make a paper stencil to use as a cutting guide if you are a crooked cutter like me.
3. Lay pieces in mold, taping the top edge of the liner to the top edge of the mold if necessary. Or, tape all outside edges of the liner together to make box shape, and set the mold-shaped liner box into the mold.
4. Use mold to make soap.
5. When soap is ready to unmold, peel liner off soap, wipe liner pieces clean, and put away for next time.

AND NEVER USE FREEZER PAPER AGAIN. HALLELUJAH AND AMEN (because this method has saved me from losing my religion).

I have some of this stuff in my laundry room right now! Great idea!

Just finished dragons blood soap. the top is inspired by Cat & Raven Designs but mine isnt nearly that good. the black didnt squeeze out of the piping bag at the same rate as the red so it finally showed up in the last row. We will just pretend it was intentional lol.

View attachment 54263

I just got some dragon's blood FO... can't wait to try it, Your soap looks great - hope you post the cut!

So far the only soapy thing I've done is spend the last hour catching up on all your posts! I wasn't going to soap today but now I'm thinking I might try the challenge soap just one more time! I've already submitted one... can I submit a second or do I choose?

UPDATE: Well I made attempt #4 and I think maybe I shouldn't have bother. I used a 'new' FO and it accelerated my batter. I used 4 sections with the 4th being sort of a in-pot-swirl which I think may turn out kind of muddy looking but considering the design you just never know. Somewhat eagerly anticipating the cut in the hopes it's one of those 'failed' surprises. I really liked the colours of the one I turned into smores which is why I decided to try again.

ok here is the cut of dragon's blood. I'm playing around with some layers in pixlr. The top has sparkle me plenty from Mad Mica's and Eco Holographic from Nurture.

Dragons Blood.jpg

... I'm thinking I might try the challenge soap just one more time! I've already submitted one... can I submit a second or do I choose?
You can only submit one entry, but you can change which one until the entry thread closes. If you are unable to modify your previous entry, contact the challenge leader (dibbles this month) and the mod will help you with that.

ok here is the cut of dragon's blood. I'm playing around with some layers in pixlr. The top has sparkle me plenty from Mad Mica's and Eco Holographic from Nurture.

View attachment 54266

gorgeous!

You can only submit one entry, but you can change which one until the entry thread closes. If you are unable to modify your previous entry, contact the challenge leader (dibbles this month) and the mod will help you with that.

Thanks... will keep that in mind!

View attachment 54266
Oh.my. That is a "soap boudoir" photo. Meow. Or, in this case, "Roar!!"

I adore how you made the soap top to resemble dragon scales.

@Jersey Girl I checked my notes for my recent test of 8th and Ocean. I noted “mild acceleration” for a recipe made with 35% tallow, 25% coconut, 5% castor and the rest liquid oils, and at a starting batter temp of 95F. I added the FO after emulsion, so it’s possible it was a bit on the cold side. I didn’t see anything resembling ricing, but had a tiny bit when I tested Satsuma. Many of the NS fragrances were tested at 77F, so I‘m learning that I should probably use their acceleration info with caution.

So far the only soapy thing I've done is spend the last hour catching up on all your posts! I wasn't going to soap today but now I'm thinking I might try the challenge soap just one more time! I've already submitted one... can I submit a second or do I choose?
I believe, though I will tag @dibbles here to be sure, that you can change your entry photo up to the time of the entry thread closing. I'm also pretty sure that you can submit only two bars from the same one loaf - in other words, you can't post entry photo of two bars from two different loaves/attempts...if that makes sense!

@Jersey Girl I checked my notes for my recent test of 8th and Ocean. I noted “mild acceleration” for a recipe made with 35% tallow, 25% coconut, 5% castor and the rest liquid oils, and at a starting batter temp of 95F. I added the FO after emulsion, so it’s possible it was a bit on the cold side. I didn’t see anything resembling ricing, but had a tiny bit when I tested Satsuma. Many of the NS fragrances were tested at 77F, so I‘m learning that I should probably use their acceleration info with caution.
@Jersey Girl correction! Recipe was 35% tallow, 25% coconut, 10% shea, 5% castor and the rest liquid oils

I believe, though I will tag @dibbles here to be sure, that you can change your entry photo up to the time of the entry thread closing. I'm also pretty sure that you can submit only two bars from the same one loaf - in other words, you can't post entry photo of two bars from two different loaves/attempts...if that makes sense!
You can switch the soap you enter until the deadline for entries. You need to post at least two bars, but may post more than two from the same loaf per the clarification at the top of the entry thread.

@Mobjack Bay is correct. You can change your entry until the deadline (2/24). You must show two bars, but may include as many as you want in your photo. The soaps have to be from the same batch.

eta: any challenge related questions should be posted in the challenge thread. If you hadn't tagged me, there is a good chance I wouldn't have seen your question. I keep a pretty close eye on the challenge and entry threads while I am hosting, but this 'what soapy thing' thread - not so much. :)

@Jersey Girl correction! Recipe was 35% tallow, 25% coconut, 10% shea, 5% castor and the rest liquid oils

I soaped about 10 degrees warmer than you did with a bit more hard oils (Palm) so I’m guessing that I will just have to adjust my recipe a bit and soap cooler if I want that FO to play nicer. 😁 There are definitely mixed reports about how it behaves.

oops - didn't see your reply, alioop - sorry! :)

I'm lucky to have a handy partner. 😊

I found this small silicone slab mould in my mp stuff from years ago. I think I bought it in a pound shop baking section. It never got used, because it's too floppy. These days we have a workshop, so I asked her if she'd be able to knock up a wooden support for it, thinking it would be a few weeks or months before she got round to it, which would give me time to do plenty of smaller test batches to get into a groove before I used this one. It's not huge, holds around 1.2 litres when filled to a good depth for a soap bar. I think I'll get 6 good sized bars out of this.

Anyway, this afternoon she was doing bits and pieces in the workshop, so she threw this together from some pieces of pallet wood and a bit of thin ply at the bottom.

I'm quite chuffed with it, now I need to make a big batch of soap to fill it! Lol...
IMG_20210221_150110.jpg
IMG_20210221_150047__01__01.jpg

Latest posts

Back