What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love all the colors you’re getting in these tests! Would you share what you used to get the pink to red series?

My soapy thing last night involved pushing the boundaries on a soy wax recipe, which is 20% soy wax with 10% shea, OO, 20% CO and RBO. I worked warmer than usual at 130F+ and upped the ante by using a 38% lye concentration to reduce ash. I went with the warmer temperature because I’m trying to avoid uneven coloring I had in the last confetti soap I made. That uneveness seemed to match the way the batter went into the mold, i.e. in horizontal layers. This batch was also made as a base for a confetti soap. It came to emulsion pretty quickly, but then stayed nicely fluid even after I added the confetti (which I had warmed up in advance) and I would have been able to do a multicolor swirl. The color in the new freshly cut soap is also uneven, darn, but for a different reason or reasons. It looks more like color morph associated with partial gel, with a ring of soap that didn’t morph sandwiched between morphed color, except at the top, which is weird. What do y’all think? The color is Klein Blue from Nurture. It has been working well for me in various recipes, all gelled, but this might be the first time I used it at 38% lye concentration.
View attachment 53813
That looks very cool! The blue stripe around the edges is amazing. One of those “I meant to do that” moments! 😁♥️

@Jersey Girl thank you. Right now I can only see it through a lens of disappointment about the color morph. If you like the look of the confetti, my tip is to put a small bit of cut up softish soap into a food processor and pulse away. If the soap is moderately soft, it will form little rounded globs instead of chips. If the soap starts out very soft it will end up dough like, but not as smooth as actual freshly made soap dough. I would caution that making soap dough this way could strain the motor of the food processor. Drier trimmings will tend to form chips or soap dust. At the right consistency, the little globs and dough can be used to make hand-formed spheres. Mine hasn’t come out smooth enough to do anything more intricate like flowers, leaves or creatures.

I cut confetti soap. I wish I would have used more confetti but oh well.
I used BB Sweet grass FO which I think has been discontinued :(

Attachments

• F9C2F982-C32F-4D64-A761-EE89455E346B.jpeg
    F9C2F982-C32F-4D64-A761-EE89455E346B.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I'm still in non-soaping mode for a few more days. Made more lavender and eucalyptus, and lemongrass litsea emulsified sugar scrubs. This time I halved the cetyl alcohol and made up the difference with extra mango butter. Added a little more emulsifying wax to cut down on the oiliness. Also cut down on the avocado oil and added jojoba oil. Beginning to be happy with them though I still want more testers, have at least a dozen out.

Now I'm extracting more CBD and orange peel oil and finished a batch of salve containing 465 grams each of CBD and orange peel oil per ounce. That's still not as potent as I want it so will be bumping up the potency in the next batch. Far more potent than anything I've seen in stores, but that's beside the point.

Tuesday it will be back to salt soap, a fir needle and eucalyptus one and one with Dalmation sage, lime and patchouli. It may be my favorite winter EO blend and the guys like it too.

Last edited:
I made a batch of goat milk soap using my new mold from Bramble Berry with goats on it. It's hot process so not as clean as melt & pour or cold process. I'm happy with how they came out though. They are scented with Moonflower from WSP.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back