What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KiwiMoose, impatiently waiting for the cut....
Not posting the cut - not exciting at all. Two colours - simple layer with charcoal on bottom and passionfruit yellow on top. Specks from the ground passion fruit seeds throughout.
We have passionfruit coming out our ears at present! Hubby brought a whole lot in yesterday and scooped out the pulp for freezing. I see more passionfruit soap on the horizon...

We have passionfruit coming out our ears at present! Hubby brought a whole lot in yesterday and scooped out the pulp for freezing. I see more passionfruit soap on the horizon...
Oh, envy. I make passionfruit macarons, passionfruit curd, passionfruit buttercream frosting, passionfruit pastry cream, passionfruit marble bundt cake...but I have to buy passionfruit (either the fruit or a puree) to make all of those lovely desserts. I think I need to plant a passionfruit tree this year.

Oh, envy. I make passionfruit macarons, passionfruit curd, passionfruit buttercream frosting, passionfruit pastry cream, passionfruit marble bundt cake...but I have to buy passionfruit (either the fruit or a puree) to make all of those lovely desserts. I think I need to plant a passionfruit tree this year.
Can't say I've ever had passionfruit.

passionfruit vine :-D

Happy Valentine’s Soap💜💜💜
Aromatherapy Passion from NG. Love this smell. I only put it in the bottom of the soap cause it turns dark but next time I will put a little fragrance oil in my enbeds. That way you can smell it more from the top. Little things we learn.

Attachments

• B62094D4-4F0F-4DBB-B03D-D2A1D76D15D7.jpeg
    B62094D4-4F0F-4DBB-B03D-D2A1D76D15D7.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 14
  • B5EE8C24-8848-45D6-8412-2CF61DC75E53.jpeg
    B5EE8C24-8848-45D6-8412-2CF61DC75E53.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 27
Can't say I've ever had passionfruit.
It is my favorite fruit. It’s quite unique in that once you cut into it there are no cell membranes to fuss with (unlike an orange, lemon, or lime), and it’s very juicy without being dense (like a peach or mango or apricot). And the color...yowza. A lovely bright yellowish orange. I condense it in a pan with a little bit of sugar and water to the texture of syrup then add it to buttercream frosting g and pastry cream or whatever. It’s also AMAZING in a cheesecake.

passionfruit vine :-D
It grows on a vine? Like a grape? I did not know that. I’m sure I could find a spot in my yard for a trellis/vine.

As for my soapy thing, I had about 760 grams from a previous masterbatch in a bucket. And another 2,700 grams leftover from my most current batch. My go-to mold is a 3,400 gram capacity slab mold. So using both leftover batches gave me the quantity I needed.

I plugged both into the soap calculator separately to determine how much liquid and lye 50/50 I’d need for each.

The plan was to make a four-color layered soap, using the 760 grams, bringing it to trace, coloring it, and using it as the first layer. Then used the other batch, bringing to trace, separating, and coloring the remaining three layers. Feeling pretty clever and proud of myself.

My soapy thing was catching up on pages and pages of this thread. It’s been so long since most of you posted that I couldn’t really reply. However, I’m dying to know the verdict on the rhubarb pie. And @KiwiMoose I wish we were neighbors so I could take some of the passion fruit off your hands. I buy it in syrup form and add it to water or seltzer. And buy it in yogurt.

I’m going to try to make a batch of soap today. A little scared as it’s been a while and my last few batches didn’t fall in the win column.

Happy Valentine’s Soap💜💜💜
Aromatherapy Passion from NG. Love this smell. I only put it in the bottom of the soap cause it turns dark but next time I will put a little fragrance oil in my enbeds. That way you can smell it more from the top. Little things we learn.
Wow beautiful soap.

Hello Friends 👋🏼. haven't posted in about a Month' trying a drop swirl.

Attachments

• 225287E7-1191-4A8D-91BB-0DB9B407F72B.jpeg
    225287E7-1191-4A8D-91BB-0DB9B407F72B.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 29
Last night I took some photos of various soaps I've made since starting a few months ago. Trying to get better with my photography and create a variety of glamour shots. I put an example as my profile photo.

So many amazing posts above in this thread.... I feel like I need to do more, heheh. It's inspirational! Thanks.

Last night I took some photos of various soaps I've made since starting a few months ago. Trying to get better with my photography and create a variety of glamour shots. I put an example as my profile photo.

So many amazing posts above in this thread.... I feel like I need to do more, heheh. It's inspirational! Thanks.
If you have any helpful tips, consider posting them in this thread:

www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/photo-backdrops.82766/

I've been trying to upgrade my photo skills as well. I'm sure we could all use all the tips we can get.

Ahhh Holy Heck! I’m done for the month! I finished up some lotion and face cream this morning. Then decided 1 more try at the freaking challenge soap! My kitchen will not survive! I’m glad I decided to do the lotion first... I would not have made it otherwise! Gonna go clean... 😳🤪😍3859DE97-3BB1-42AF-BB2E-C17F6621180A.jpeg

More color testing! Iron oxide, ultramarine, Two clays, and spirulina that was too weak. Learning.
View attachment 53803View attachment 53804View attachment 53805
I love all the colors you’re getting in these tests! Would you share what you used to get the pink to red series?

My soapy thing last night involved pushing the boundaries on a soy wax recipe, which is 20% soy wax with 10% shea, OO, 20% CO and RBO. I worked warmer than usual at 130F+ and upped the ante by using a 38% lye concentration to reduce ash. I went with the warmer temperature because I’m trying to avoid uneven coloring I had in the last confetti soap I made. That uneveness seemed to match the way the batter went into the mold, i.e. in horizontal layers. This batch was also made as a base for a confetti soap. It came to emulsion pretty quickly, but then stayed nicely fluid even after I added the confetti (which I had warmed up in advance) and I would have been able to do a multicolor swirl. The color in the new freshly cut soap is also uneven, darn, but for a different reason or reasons. It looks more like color morph associated with partial gel, with a ring of soap that didn’t morph sandwiched between morphed color, except at the top, which is weird. What do y’all think? The color is Klein Blue from Nurture. It has been working well for me in various recipes, all gelled, but this might be the first time I used it at 38% lye concentration.
654C5AF0-4391-459B-925E-0172AE76F6AB.jpeg

Back