What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha. My husband loves anything rhubarb. I'm not that nuts about it but my MIL makes him stuff from the plant in the backyard.

LOL. Do the plants only grow in certain regions? Its been interesting to read the different preparations. Does your husband have a favorite? Cake, pie, candy, straight out the ground ( no leaves!)

LOL. Do the plants only grow in certain regions? Its been interesting to read the different preparations. Does your husband have a favorite? Cake, pie, candy, straight out the ground ( no leaves!)
I'm not sure where they will or won't grow. I am in WI and easy to grow them here. His mother makes this custard type dessert with it that he loves!
Even I will eat a little of that. She makes strawberry rhubarb jam that's not bad either or pie .
My grandmother grew and used it a lot also.
I know she had some issues with blood thinner she was on because she was eating too much rhubarb and it affected the dosage she needed or something. I believe some leafy green vegies can do the same.

Oh I see! Very cool 😎 I dont think I'm talented enough to do challenges just yet! I haven't even mastered a layered soap 🤣
I haven't mastered layer soap yet, either. :) The idea is to try new things with other people who are trying new things. A lot of times, participants will post tips they've picked up or observations of what works/what doesn't to help other participants, so it's hardly cutthroat. You can still try the techniques and join the conversation, even if you don't qualify to or don't want to participate in the competition.

A rhubarb virgin no more!
giphy.gif

I haven't mastered layer soap yet, either. :) The idea is to try new things with other people who are trying new things. A lot of times, participants will post tips they've picked up or observations of what works/what doesn't to help other participants, so it's hardly cutthroat. You can still try the techniques and join the conversation, even if you don't qualify to or don't want to participate in the competition.
That sounds a lot more fun than what I originally thought when I read "challenge". Exactly I thought cut throat competition haha I don't know why. Maybe I've watched too many "bring it on" type movies. Lol 😆

And you'd think a layered soap is easy..... am I the only one? It's so irritatingly frustrating 😆

In anticipation for a few people needing to see my house, my soapy thing for the next few days is stowing away all my soapy stuff :(. I have to make my kitchen look like a kitchen again, clear out the spare bedroom etc.

After all the hub bub has died down, I am going to designate a spot for soaping (other than my kitchen LOL). Will be fun. I got a spot. Just need to make my house squeaky clean for a while.

Next...where to put a fishtank LOL.

Edit: OMG I have a kitchen counter. It's been a while since I seen it. I have a lazy susan cabinet that I had stuff in that I will never use, so that all is going in the trash: a rice cooker that I don't use, and an old pressure cooker that I don't know how to use. Plus I relocated some other stuff under there. I now have a cabinet to neatly store my colors and fragrances and supplies. I make soap so often in my kitchen, it just became my soap kitchen. Who knew that I would have a few convenient spots to hide it all in LOL.

Last edited:
I breathed a huge sigh of relief after unmolding my January challenge soap. Actually I am thrilled with the result. I was worried about one of the planets. I created it out of mini-muffin molds and then put them in a row and prayed that they stayed stuck together, which they did! The scent is very light even tho' I used the max (eocalc) but still nice -- eucalyptus/rosemary/cedarwood. I'm not a fan of the camphorous essential oils but this blend is nice, smells like a spa.

This looks great and I like your choice of colors! Is the white part uncolored or did you use a white colorant? And did you use orange eo or orange 10X eo? I have found orange 10X lasts way longer than plain orange. I've also lately been adding litsea to citrus for extra sticking power. Sorry for all the unsolicited advice!

@Misschief, sounds like a chore to unmold. Great color combo!
I used a teaspoon of Titanium Dioxide to get a bit of whiteness, I didn’t use 10x, just what Orange EO I had on hand, but next time I’ll look into buying some along with the Litsea next time. I want to make a soap that has a blackberry scent, where would you suggest I look for this.

So just out of curiosity and in simple non scientific terms.... you are testing/taking a cp soap recipe and making it into melt and pour-able soap? That's pretty cool and good luck to you! I've never used melt and pour, but sometime curious about it!

Yes, exactly! Usually, M&P is made in a HP, but it is (obviously) possible to take the two steps apart (saponification, dissolving), and convert whatever soap you have into M&P.

I have no experience with (commercial) M&P either, but I'm curious as well what to do with it, so I helped myself (-:

Yes, exactly! Usually, M&P is made in a HP, but it is (obviously) possible to take the two steps apart (saponification, dissolving), and convert whatever soap you have into M&P.

I have no experience with (commercial) M&P either, but I'm curious as well what to do with it, so I helped myself (-:
Well I’m definitely going to follow this post, so update as soon as you can! And I want all the details! Lol! I’m just kidding... but will definitely follow !

@TashaBird, problem? I don't see no problem.

(because if I did, then many of us on SMF would have a "problem.") 😜
When OCD becomes a super power! 😂
@maryloucb Thank you! My DH made my shelves. But, I do loved how dialed in it feels lately! Now if only it wasn’t freezing down here! (No offense to folks for which they are actually freezing.)

Latest posts

Back