What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Etsy DIY Bath and Body Shop.
They are the only recipe I’ve tried. But I’m liking them both very much!
Thank you! I'll check it out!

So, I was trying to do this

But ended up with this!

Attachments

• 20210118_114109.jpg
    20210118_114109.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 27
This is going to be a story LOL. This is a three day soapy thing.

I hope to be moving soon, and I have a lot of soap that needs to be wrapped, labeled, and packed. I got a bunch of soaps cleaned up and bagged. I start to seal them with the impulse sealer...about 12 bars in, and the stupid thing died. Like I did a few soaps, then next it just stopped heating. Did a return on Amazon. I opted for a replacement sealer, because I think it is a pretty reputable brand.

Hit the ones that I got sealed with the heat gun and started to make labels. I have printed hundreds of labels, with the same labels on the same printer. All of a sudden the printer decides that it doesn't like the labels and says that it is the wrong size paper. I mean really, you did it plenty of times before. I literally wasted my entire Saturday afternoon off screwing around with the printer and settings. I tried the computer, ipad, phone...error after error. And I KNOW I have made them both with the computer and ipad before.

Then the realtor calls and says that the houses I was supposed to look at are under contract. Ok, fine. I didn't like those ones anyway and I got some other issues LOL.

ALL of Sunday...trying to figure out this issue with the printer and my labels. It prints just fine on paper, but not the labels. It makes no sense to me. I've printed from both my windows computer as well as my mac. Now I get into a "session" and it doesn't want to print. Even stooped down low and tried tech support....absolutely no help. TODAY I had a thought and googled something. Rip the top part of the sticker off the SURE FEED Avery label...BAM I have labels.

And I got my new sealer in. Back in business LOL Kinda sucks losing three labels for each page. But for now i am gonna have to deal with it. If I can't find a permanent solution, I will have to get a new printer. It's a little time consuming to carefully rip off the top sticky part of the sheet.

LOL Kinda sucks losing three labels for each page.
I really like onlinelabels.com. They seem to have all the comparable Avery Labels available and if you want to spend a bit more their waterproof seem to be indestructible! lol!!! I've never had problems using them in my printer yet. The labels also come with free access to their label designer which is fun to use.

I planned on making soap tonight, but got on the phone with my friend and we talked for three hours, so soap was never made.

But I do have a little soapy thing...I took a picture of one of my soaps to show him, and we both saw the same face LOL. He says Ghostbusters, I say The Mask with Jim Carey (the dog)

View attachment 53264

Except for the lighter bottom layer, it looks like the sister to one I made a few month back.

Soap 30 - Cranberry Dream3.jpg

More color testing... hydrated chrome oxide, annatto, ultramarine pigment, and yellow iron oxide. I decided I didn’t need 24 different samples as the higher % ones started to all look the same. I also made the % differences increase with each sample. If anyone would like to see / use my mad scientist spreadsheet for calculating % of colorant to oils I’m happy to share! I said this in an earlier post but I am trying to be more systematic in my soap making, since I usually am haphazard about adding colorants and don’t always get what I expect.

View attachment 53288View attachment 53289

This is so impressive to me! I don't have the patience to do this. Do you just make a batter and split it off into small portions then add colorants? |Are they all different colorants? And how does the concentration of colour equate to what goes into a larger batch?

Yes, you should have seen 1-4 attempts. Sad.

I have the same issue but it's always been issues with my mold to date. If I ever get that under control, maybe I'll get to see if I can actually do a lollypop swirl! 🤨

I made some Neapolitan soap for valentines day! Each layer is strawberry, vanilla bean, and dark chocolate. I was really nervous about this but it was fun! and turned out pretty great!

Attachments

• DFCA907C-C0DA-4428-88D7-CA0515B05F7D.jpeg
    DFCA907C-C0DA-4428-88D7-CA0515B05F7D.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 28E48067-F2A4-4094-92BB-8F37E2D55A5E.jpeg
    28E48067-F2A4-4094-92BB-8F37E2D55A5E.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 20
I start to seal them with the impulse sealer...about 12 bars in, and the stupid thing died. Like I did a few soaps, then next it just stopped heating.
If your impulse sealer is like mine, more than likely the metal strip underneath it broke. It does happen and the replacement piece is fairly inexpensive. I say that but bear in mind that I haven't used my impulse sealer in at least 3 years since I found shrink wrap bands, so the replacement cost may have gone up since then. This is my impulse sealer:
1611093815130.png

The arrow shows the strip I'm talking about, you take off the screws and underneath the sheath is a metal strip that's really easy to replace. I wouldn't have thought of this either but my hubby isn't afraid to take things apart and figured it out. Just a thought in case your replacement sealer does the same thing, it may not be the sealer itself.

View attachment 53347View attachment 53348
I’m having too much fun with these! I’m loving making and USING these shampoo & conditioner bars! I also got to try out my Mad Micas! They are some pretty awesome colors! I’m kinda glad I ran out of some supplies or I’d make more!
Do you make shampoo bars or syndet bars? Are they terribly difficult to do either way? I aspire!

I wasn’t going to do anything soapy today, but my new Soap Frosting Kit was calling to me... I had to see what I could do. Can’t wait to cut it and see what the ITPS looks like. I don’t think I used enough mica... my colors are going to be a bit wonky I think. Fun first try though! View attachment 53357
Is that pink Pretty Kitty??😍

Is that pink Pretty Kitty??😍
Mad Mica. Tickled Pink! It’s almost neon! 😜🤪🥰

Do you make shampoo bars or syndet bars? Are they terribly difficult to do either way? I aspire!
Syndet Shampoo Bars! The first time I’ve made them!!!! So fun and pretty easy! Just lots of ingredients and kinda expensive. But since I’m obsessive and could stop making them until I ran out of some ingredients we will have shampoo and conditioner for years to come!

I just started out setting up my soaping area in a different home after losing my husband, moving back to WI and starting over after almost eight years. I threw out about 60 bottles of almost 100% new essential oils and fragrance oils and about 25#s of butter, as I had planned to start soaping as soon as we had finished building our new retirement home, that didn't pan out so well! It was a hard thing to do. Now to find my scale and cooktop, have a few more boxes to go through. I am so thankful for my superman of a son who has helped me throughout this entire nightmare, he is my hero! Hi Zany, I remember your name from a soaping group on Facebook all those years ago! You were a fantastic book of knowledge then and your soaps were always lovely, looking forward to seeing what you are up to now....things have progressed a lot since then!

Finished labeling the last few soap batches and got my state as well as federal taxes ready to file!

Syndet Shampoo Bars! The first time I’ve made them!!!! So fun and pretty easy! Just lots of ingredients and kinda expensive. But since I’m obsessive and could stop making them until I ran out of some ingredients we will have shampoo and conditioner for years to come!
Awesome 👍

Mad Mica. Tickled Pink! It’s almost neon! 😜🤪🥰
It looks so fun!!!!

Attachments

• 20210119_175044.jpg
    20210119_175044.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210119_175136.jpg
    20210119_175136.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210119_175158.jpg
    20210119_175158.jpg