What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been busy at work this month, but I managed to squeeze in this soy wax based confetti soap. The confetti is from a failed attempt at a pull through soap in a small slab mold. I was going for a “Persian carpet” design in the original soap and scented it with frankincense, ylang ylang and patchouli eos. It’s interesting to see the color variation in the base soap. Even though I started with my base at 125F, there is quite a bit of color variation, which I assume is temperature related. The base color is lightest in the confetti layer. In the upper layer, the color is showing exactly how the base was layered into the mold. I warmed the confetti up a bit before adding it to the base, but think a little more warming would have helped.

FD4D1508-E3E3-4E80-BAED-9D7DB725DFEB.jpeg

I planned on making soap tonight, but got on the phone with my friend and we talked for three hours, so soap was never made.

But I do have a little soapy thing...I took a picture of one of my soaps to show him, and we both saw the same face LOL. He says Ghostbusters, I say The Mask with Jim Carey (the dog)

View attachment 53264
I saw the face right away and I gotta go with you on this one.

I planned on making soap tonight, but got on the phone with my friend and we talked for three hours, so soap was never made.

But I do have a little soapy thing...I took a picture of one of my soaps to show him, and we both saw the same face LOL. He says Ghostbusters, I say The Mask with Jim Carey (the dog)

View attachment 53264

I see Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Lol

It's been an adventurous soaping day for me! I'm about ready to say goodbye to cylindar molds. I started out with a pringles can but not enough forsite on my part (I didn't secure the bottom) and it fell out leaving me with quite a mess. So then I got a pvc pipe which is certainly better but it was black and very hard to see what you're doing (if doing the pinwheel, etc) - I don't like lining them and unlined, I don't have room in my freezer and securing the bottom was a pain as well.
So I bit the bullet and got a silicone cylindar - again, no forsight on my part (did I say I'm not very good at looking ahead? Well things were going swimmingly until I was 3/4 full and the seem came apart at the bottom! Uuuggghhhh! I taped the mold, put elastics around it and findally used those big binder clips at the top and bottom.
Maybe I expect too much, but you'd think they'd make these secure enough or at least provide a warning to add further security!
What do you guys do? Did you just automaticallty add more security or do you not have that issue?
Thanks for listening! 🥵😭🤬😨
I have the BrambleBerry cylinder mold - I love it. I just put a thin sheet of plastic wrap on the bottom, then slide on the end cap. It has never come off or given me any trouble.

More color testing... hydrated chrome oxide, annatto, ultramarine pigment, and yellow iron oxide. I decided I didn’t need 24 different samples as the higher % ones started to all look the same. I also made the % differences increase with each sample. If anyone would like to see / use my mad scientist spreadsheet for calculating % of colorant to oils I’m happy to share! I said this in an earlier post but I am trying to be more systematic in my soap making, since I usually am haphazard about adding colorants and don’t always get what I expect.

C203B983-E2F3-46C9-8465-680814EE58EB.jpegAFAE68FA-F37E-4AB4-BCBC-104FB33E7C4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I made two planets (that sounds pretty powerful) for my January Challenge entry. I way over estimated how much I'd need for my molds and had to scramble for extra molds. I've got lots of tree soaps now, all ready for Christmas 2021, and plenty for future confetti soaps. I'm driving myself crazy reading the news and it was a welcome break.

I opened my destash order from @cmzaha - Christmas in January! :) The only problem was, I was in a long zoom meeting and forgot to turn off my video. So they all watched me bring the box into the office, cut it open, and ooo and ahhh over the different items. 😆

Sigh. They say real friends will tell you when there is toilet paper on your shoe, or a booger hanging down, but mine prefer to let me finish making a fool of myself so they can rib me about it for years to come. 🤓

Today I made two planets (that sounds pretty powerful) for my January Challenge entry. I way over estimated how much I'd need for my molds and had to scramble for extra molds. I've got lots of tree soaps now, all ready for Christmas 2021, and plenty for future confetti soaps. I'm driving myself crazy reading the news and it was a welcome break.
I would love to see the planet soap. Don’t have time this month.

I'm trying to decide between clear melt and pour bases for an embed in one of my future CP soaps. One is a very clear base that is rumored to sweat a bit, and one is a low-sweat base. I decided to get both and try them out. This morning, Mom and I each took one of the bases and had fun with colors, fragrance, and pipettes. We each only used 5 ounces, since that's all I need to see how the bases behave over time. It also gave me a chance to brush up on my MP skills. And I didn't have a spritz bottle of alcohol floating around, so there are bubbles, and some of the layers aren't as secure as they could be.

Attachments

• 16108405565149109509910584272644.jpg
    16108405565149109509910584272644.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 11
Just finished a batch of English Rose. I knew better than to try a drop swirl with squirt bottles with a floral FO, but I did it anyway.

Acceleration!

But I did get it in the mold, and was pretty much able to do what I was going for. I'm eager to cut it.
20210116_193246.jpg

Here's the cut of the accelerant English Rose drop/sideways swirl. The drops didn't go down in as far as I'd envisioned since the soap was so thick. Also, I wish I'd left out the TD in the white since it developed nasty glycerin rivers. But I do like how some of the bars have little hearts in them!

I hope to bevel the edges later.

Loved "Today I made two planets"... sounds like the opening line to a good movie 🍿🎥🤣

Here's the cut of the accelerant English Rose drop/sideways swirl. The drops didn't go down in as far as I'd envisioned since the soap was so thick. Also, I wish I'd left out the TD in the white since it developed nasty glycerin rivers. But I do like how some of the bars have little hearts in them.
That is some beautiful soap!

View attachment 53295
Here's the cut of the accelerant English Rose drop/sideways swirl. The drops didn't go down in as far as I'd envisioned since the soap was so thick. Also, I wish I'd left out the TD in the white since it developed nasty glycerin rivers. But I do like how some of the bars have little hearts in them!

I hope to bevel the edges later.
Generally excess water causes glycerin rivers, TD only highlights them.

Back