What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg! Finally got my Christmas present from me today!!! Royalty Soaps soap frosting club box!!!! I don’t think I’ve ever owned this much mica! And I got a pin! Now I can frost till my heart is content! 😍😘🥰
777D4C55-ED3A-4763-BAF8-BC7E13E8407C.jpeg

It's been an adventurous soaping day for me! I'm about ready to say goodbye to cylindar molds. I started out with a pringles can but not enough forsite on my part (I didn't secure the bottom) and it fell out leaving me with quite a mess. So then I got a pvc pipe which is certainly better but it was black and very hard to see what you're doing (if doing the pinwheel, etc) - I don't like lining them and unlined, I don't have room in my freezer and securing the bottom was a pain as well.
So I bit the bullet and got a silicone cylindar - again, no forsight on my part (did I say I'm not very good at looking ahead? Well things were going swimmingly until I was 3/4 full and the seem came apart at the bottom! Uuuggghhhh! I taped the mold, put elastics around it and findally used those big binder clips at the top and bottom.
Maybe I expect too much, but you'd think they'd make these secure enough or at least provide a warning to add further security!
What do you guys do? Did you just automaticallty add more security or do you not have that issue?
Thanks for listening! 🥵😭🤬😨

I started out with a pringles can but not enough forsite on my part (I didn't secure the bottom) and it fell out leaving me with quite a mess.
I've always used a Pringle can for my round soaps. I cut the bottom off & I do line them with freezer paper and cut a little square of freezer paper to put on the bottom (actually the top of the can) and put the plastic lid that came with it over that, the paper overlap makes it more secure. I've never had one leak too badly and definitely never fall out!

I've been thinking about purchasing this recipe, but I'm not sure where to get all the ingredients. Where did you order from?
I purchased the same recipe and got most of my ingredients from either SaveOnCitric (aka ChemistryConnection) or Making Cosmetics. I also had some on hand from a previous order from Voyageur.

It takes a lot to compare ingredient cost and shipping prices, since shipping on one item alone can be ridiculous, but then much more reasonable if more items are added. So although the list price of one item might be higher on one site than another, the true cost with shipping included might be lower, depending on what else is in the order.

I'm happy with all three of those vendors and find their processing times to be more reasonable than WSP or BB.

Maybe I expect too much, but you'd think they'd make these secure enough or at least provide a warning to add further security!
What do you guys do? Did you just automatically add more security or do you not have that issue?
Thanks for listening! 🥵😭🤬😨
I'm still using PVC molds; I use the tester end caps from the plumbing section. They were more expensive than the PVC pipe itself, but they are very tight and don't leak at all. I did have my husband cut the pipes down from the original 18" (what was I thinking??). Now two of them are 12", and two of them are 6". Makes it easier to fit into the freezer so no lining is needed. But if you don't want to freeze them, you can also use Teflon oven liner sheets or dollar store plastic cutting mats to line them if you want. Cut once to size, and you have a permanent, washable liner! Tasha Bird gave the excellent suggestion to use a headlamp to be able to see inside while pouring, too.

I purchased the same recipe and got most of my ingredients from either SaveOnCitric (aka ChemistryConnection) or Making Cosmetics. I also had some on hand from a previous order from Voyageur.

It takes a lot to compare ingredient cost and shipping prices, since shipping on one item alone can be ridiculous, but then much more reasonable if more items are added. So although the list price of one item might be higher on one site than another, the true cost with shipping included might be lower, depending on what else is in the order.

I'm happy with all three of those vendors and find their processing times to be more reasonable than WSP or BB.

I'm still using PVC molds; I use the tester end caps from the plumbing section. They were more expensive than the PVC pipe itself, but they are very tight and don't leak at all. I did have my husband cut the pipes down from the original 18" (what was I thinking??). Now two of them are 12", and two of them are 6". Makes it easier to fit into the freezer so no lining is needed. But if you don't want to freeze them, you can also use Teflon oven liner sheets or dollar store plastic cutting mats to line them if you want. Cut once to size, and you have a permanent, washable liner! Tasha Bird gave the excellent suggestion to use a headlamp to be able to see inside while pouring, too.

I had caps for the pvc pipe but the bottom bowed out as the cap wasn't flush so it was just another task to get ready. Anyway, love the idea of the tefdlon oven liners - and I actually have a spare one here. Thanks!

I have a mini-cylinder silicone mold. I use several binder clips on the bottom and sides and have not had any leakage.

I'm going to buy some bigger binder clips... I have some that will go on it but if they slip (and one did), it's like a projectile! Some good suggestions. Guess I will try it one more time! sigh

I've always used a Pringle can for my round soaps. I cut the bottom off & I do line them with freezer paper and cut a little square of freezer paper to put on the bottom (actually the top of the can) and put the plastic lid that came with it over that, the paper overlap makes it more secure. I've never had one leak too badly and definitely never fall out!

I'm the type of person that 'if it can go wrong, it will'! Lesson learned though - bigtime! 😂

So I finally made my shampoo bars.. I kinda procrastinated yesterday by cleaning off my sewing table and finishing up some masks I had sitting around. Then because I had some new material made some new masks for work...Now I have about 50 masks laying about that I need to figure out what to do with.

I’m glad I bought the recipe from DIY Bath & Body shop! Great directions! Not as hard as I was anticipating. Can’t wait to use them!!!! Made one big one and the rest small 50 grams to share for feedback. Lol! I don’t know if my friends and family hate me or love me for using them as test subjects!?!?
View attachment 53231
I love that you procrastinate by being productive in another area, I do the same thing 🤣

I took a big break after my soap every day for 30 days back in march and april. now all the soaps are well cured and stacked up in the bath, I use them all and can review the results. Of the 30 experiments i love about 3 but am only really sure of one. So, I made that yesterday. It is an olive 30% coconut 15% tallow 30% lard 20% and castor 5% with 1 t ppo of sugar and 1 t ppo of salt in half the water so it dissolved this time. Color is 1/2 t. blue oxide ppo and 1/8 t. of activated charcoal per pound. I scented it with 1/2 oz. of lavender/rosemary ppo, I think that was 3%. I love this soap! I delivered a few bars to a new point of sale yesterday, I figure it will disappear fast so I optimistically made more!

Compared to my old vegan formula it is relatively slow to trace and I left it in the mold a second day. Then it was kind of soft, so I was careful with it, but it sure slid out of the mold easily. It will get very hard.
fullsizeoutput_3421.jpeg

Last edited:
Im making a syndet facial bar. just got them in the mold. once they are a bit firm ill remove them carefully and let them dry on paper after that. Had great feedback from my testers on the shampoo bars I made and good results on my hair so im set to make a full batch. Not making any soap this weekend, Im stocked.

I took a big break after my soap every day for 30 days back in march and april. now all the soaps are well cured and stacked up in the bath, I use them all and can review the results. Of the 30 experiments i love about 3 but am only really sure of one.
Love the color you acheived!

Computer crashed and burned so spent a few days trying to "fix" it before succumbing to just starting over. ANYWHO - the most soapy thing I've done this week is dreaming of soap. The most recent dream was about @DeeAnna inviting EVERYONE from the SMF to her house for something called a "Home Sweet Home" party (yeah - I got nothing) where we all tried out each other's soaps by washing our hands in this huge granite hand-washing trough. I have no idea what 99% of folks here look like, but in my dream I knew that everyone was there. Oh, and there were soap bubbles floating through the air and everywhere. I think I'd better get to making some soap so I can get some sleep! 🤣🤣

I planned on making soap tonight, but got on the phone with my friend and we talked for three hours, so soap was never made.

But I do have a little soapy thing...I took a picture of one of my soaps to show him, and we both saw the same face LOL. He says Ghostbusters, I say The Mask with Jim Carey (the dog)

crazy face.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back