What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of soaps I did today! I LOVE them! One is Citrus Drop (Lemon, Lime & Lemongrass) & Manly (A very Masculine Fragrance)!
Wow they look amazing!
I'm very new to soaping and this forum.... Here's one I made today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_171108.jpg
    IMG_20210111_171108.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 47
I'm usually posting with questions about my "oops, what happened?" soaps, so I thought I'd post a couple I did this week that actually came out well :)
The two on the left are scented with a combo of WSP's Black Amber Musk and Shampure. The marble turned out to be a good match to my bathroom counter! The one on the right was my attempt at an ombre, scented with lavender EO and vanilla FO.

39 Marble Bouquet.jpg 39 Marble on Marble.jpg 38 Lavender Mist.jpg

I made a black and white layered soap with Barber Shoppe 123. JUST before adding my lye to my oils, I double-checked the specs, and it rices. I soaped cool and sb to emulsion, and I mixed my fo in the first half of the white batter. It had slight ricing. it was still quite thin, so I poured right away and let it set up, just occasionally stirring my second half, which stayed pretty thin, giving me time to let the other one set. I didn't add fo to the second half because I am a sissy LOL.

I guess its the weather or something. I have used some of my fo's over and over in the past with no ricing. All of a sudden EVERYTHING is ricing. I feel like I am getting to be an expert at overcoming this. My last 4 or 5 batches riced, except for the Lavender EO batch. And my recipe is the same lard bar that I have been using regularly. Like super easy to soap with.

I think this one will be ok. It just wasn't the same pleasant soaping experience I usually have with this recipe.

I use 33% lye concentration. Should I up the amt of water if I am using a known ricing/accelerating fo? I do salt bars at 30%, which makes it easier to work with...

Spent the last week making soap, so today was spent doing the paperwork of every each batch for my records!
Brilliant! Good for you for setting a fine example for all of us!
:winner:

I'm usually posting with questions about my "oops, what happened?" soaps, so I thought I'd post a couple I did this week that actually came out well :)
10 10 10.gif

I'm very new to soaping and this forum.... Here's one I made today.
Welcome, Richard! You may want to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself and what drew you to making soap. Curious minds want to know! :oops:

There's also a Photo Gallery for posting soapy pics for comments and advice that you may want to take advantage of as you start your journey. Um, it is an addiction, doncha know, and you may need support and empathy along the way. ;)

I didn't add fo to the second half because I am a sissy LOL.
Smack Laugh.gif

I made two attempts at my yin/yang embeds. The first attempted failed but I salvaged the batch by making black and white balls for a future soap. The second batch also failed, and worse than the first. That fail was not salvageable and went in the trash. “Third time’s a charm” better be true. 🤦‍♀️

Just cut my Princess Leia and What’s new Pussycat soap. My cutter screwed up a little, but it’s nothing I can’t fix. Also made pure coconut Dish Soap.

Attachments

• 2F6DFE8B-FE08-4605-98C1-4333E3D8F2C9.jpeg
    2F6DFE8B-FE08-4605-98C1-4333E3D8F2C9.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 0EE8F50D-120F-46DE-98D4-E6ACC7DDACD9.jpeg
    0EE8F50D-120F-46DE-98D4-E6ACC7DDACD9.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 21
  • 67C0389A-FB95-4210-9B02-6A0F65FE3CD0.jpeg
    67C0389A-FB95-4210-9B02-6A0F65FE3CD0.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 9C72DFA4-6A55-4615-9512-FD0E8FAF977F.jpeg
    9C72DFA4-6A55-4615-9512-FD0E8FAF977F.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 23
  • AC6068E6-5F93-461F-9BAB-3D1E96C1A7FC.jpeg
    AC6068E6-5F93-461F-9BAB-3D1E96C1A7FC.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 27
I bought stuff. Put a small order in with BB...thought I’d try some Colloidal Oatmeal and Tussah Silk, 3 FOs...one that accelerates, but I love the smell of and so I will take the chance, and a couple of Rose cavity molds to add to a hands-on demo that I’m doing next month for a crafting weekend.

Just cut last nights soap it turned out strange LOL. To recap, my FO started to rice with the bottom layer. It wasn't terrible and was able to pour easily. I let that set up and poured my black layer without FO because I became a sissy and didn't want to fight the rice.

I let it set up on top of the stove...no heat to clarify (cause I poured pretty thin)...so I guess about 20 minutes, before I covered with towels and cpop. My light in my oven blew out, so I didn't even have that to leave on overnight like I normally do.

The middle of the soap "rose up" it seems, to touch the towel covering the mold.

The lighter layer has a little td in it and the fo, the black layer is ac, no fo. I THOUGHT that when I cut it, that it would have been the scented layer that caused the problem, but it's just the top layer (with no scent). I had planned on cutting the tops off, but now that I cut the bars, I think it looks kinda neat.

Barber shop overheat 1.jpg
Barber shop overheat.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a month subscription to soapchallenge club for the tutorials.

It HAS to be cheaper than trying to figure out the soap design secrets on my own. I'm going to try the chevron soap again.

Just cut last nights soap it turned out strange LOL. To recap, my FO started to rice with the bottom layer. It wasn't terrible and was able to pour easily. I let that set up and poured my black layer without FO because I became a sissy and didn't want to fight the rice.

I let it set up on top of the stove...no heat to clarify (cause I poured pretty thin)...so I guess about 20 minutes, before I covered with towels and cpop. My light in my oven blew out, so I didn't even have that to leave on overnight like I normally do.

The middle of the soap "rose up" it seems, to touch the towel covering the mold.

The lighter layer has a little td in it and the fo, the black layer is ac, no fo. I THOUGHT that when I cut it, that it would have been the scented layer that caused the problem, but it's just the top layer (with no scent). I had planned on cutting the tops off, but now that I cut the bars, I think it looks kinda neat.

View attachment 53205View attachment 53207
I LOOOOVE a tidy line.

I really like the soap, its simple but the lines are so straight and I prefer the color to a stark white. Happy accidents eh?

I LOOOOVE a tidy line.

I really like the soap, its simple but the lines are so straight and I prefer the color to a stark white. Happy accidents eh?

Thank you!! I love a nice straight line as well. I have been making some layered soaps lately, and have gotten the knack for the tidy line. Then I had one that wasn't so tidy, and it's an eyesore for me. "Throw the whole thing away, it's crooked" LOL

I think these would look good in a ts mold, but I don't know why the middle overheated, if that is in-fact what it was, which I believe it probably was. I just never had that happen except for a milk soap that I made once.

I didn't add as much td as I usually do on purpose, was just going for a creamy look. But I think it will get a little whiter as it cures.

Thank you!! I love a nice straight line as well. I have been making some layered soaps lately, and have gotten the knack for the tidy line. Then I had one that wasn't so tidy, and it's an eyesore for me. "Throw the whole thing away, it's crooked" LOL

I think these would look good in a ts mold, but I don't know why the middle overheated, if that is in-fact what it was, which I believe it probably was. I just never had that happen except for a milk soap that I made once.

I didn't add as much td as I usually do on purpose, was just going for a creamy look. But I think it will get a little whiter as it cures.

I think it would probably look good in a TS mold. But honestly I think this look is so much more unique. And you have more area for the beautiful clean line.

I really think the line and the colors are so intriguing.

Like it's simple but so visually interesting to look at. The texturing at the top after you cut them adds to that.

Well done!

Latest posts

Back