What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That color is looking a little...rustic?
It was a real pretty green before I added the FO. I didnt even add that much, most of it went into the white pot, which behaved nicely. Turned and looked at the green one and the fo was pooling brown on the top. Didn't think it was a big deal until I started stirring and this color happened. It riced a tiny bit, but that was controlable with the spatula.

I wouldn't have added it to my mold at all except I did't want bars that were too small. That's how ugly this color turned.

I guess we shall see with the cut

Yesterday on New Year's Eve I had some soba cooking water left from lunch and, remembering the thread by @Dawni on her rice soap, I was really curious to see if the soba water would yield the same benefits. So I squeezed in a very quick soap making session with a recipe adapted from that thread. It ended up having a somehow grainy texture when I poured, which I guess is due to the soba water.
I'm so curious to see how this comes out!

“Hugs and Kisses”

Attachments

• E1F7EFB5-789C-4128-925F-A2C15AFC6B42.jpeg
    E1F7EFB5-789C-4128-925F-A2C15AFC6B42.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 26
Last night as we were waiting for the New Year to arrive and I decided to make soap. I decided I wanted to make an oatmeal soap. So I start getting everything ready and by 12:30am I was pouring the batch. The Shea butter I bought recently disappoints me because it’s soooo yellow! As I was pouring the soap my son said it looked like baby poop! Even after the colloidal oatmeal and the kaolin clay it was still very poopy 💩 looking! I also went a little crazy with my coconut milk and aloe juice...I was gonna just do half milk into oils and just water with lye... but I said what the heck and used aloe juice instead! Boy! Did it heat up quickly! I had some pink clay batter set aside for a drop swirl and instead had to try a hanger swirl because it accelerated so much! When I put it in the oven it was at 150 degrees! Still at 100 degrees this morning. Can’t wait to cut it!
0D718F46-7693-4B18-9B66-AE7A47A8F176.jpeg

I’m now getting my orders together to make some shampoo and conditioner bars! I’m so excited! I’ve been putting it off... because shopping for soap supplies is very dangerous for me! 😳😬
Happy New Year!

I'm so sorry, @Catscankim! Unfortunately, your LOL analogy took me back to some truly horrifying parenting moments (that are NEVER addressed in parenting and baby care books!!)! I'll cross my fingers for a miraculous un-morphing.

People, has anyone noticed we're getting close to 1,000 pages? Has this happened before? Will it be like a Y2K thing that we should prepare for and stock up? Will there be viewing parties? A mad scramble marathon posting competition?

Last edited:
Loads of catch-up reading here at SMF. Just 10 or 11 days of being gone and dropping from exhaustion each night and you guys had a lot to say. I should talk. I'm rather wordy myself. Anyway this was my last big thread to catch up on. Now I can start getting ready to do the DIY VS testing plan I wrote out last month. Well, I'll do the prep and get started in the morning. Hubby thinks he will be home by 6 pm, but with the sleet and snow, I'm not sure the roads will cooperate with that goal. In any case, hooray, I can make soap again.

Happy New Year everyone! I haven't made soap in a couple of days but today I cleaned up my latest. This is a ghost swirl to which I added some colour to part of the batter. I was going for a one-pot-wonder but it looks more like an in-pot-swirl but I'm good with it. I'm really loving this technique and this colour which is called 'Blue Eyeshadow' but is more of a light green/teal shade. I've made this recipe before but for some reason I had enough extra batter to make 3 extra pucks.

Attachments

• Barely There Grn.jpg
    Barely There Grn.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 31
Happy to be doing soap-related things on day one of 2021!

I'm determined not to fail to make a holiday soap NEXT year. So this morning with a winter theme in mind, I did a few firsts: designed snowflake cutouts and made them on the 3d printer, and used soap dough with my clay extruder with the new custom snowflake shapes!

It's super satisfying pushing things through that extruder. And I can't wait to see what my extrusions look like when they dry and I can slice them to length for the mold, since it was hard not to squish the ends where I cut them while freshly extruded.

Now hopefully I can manage to actually embed these in some soap in the next 10 months or so. :rolleyes:

1609534877540.png

1609534897120.png

Beautiful soap @Misschief !

These are the lotion bars I made yesterday. How have I never made these before?? The cream colored ones are a Soap Queen recipe with cocoa butter. I left them unscented because the cocoa butter is just so yummy. The pink ones are @Zing inspired with meadowfoam oil and Shea. I added a little mica and lemongrass eo.

How do you like the feel of the soap queen formula?

Hope

So while I soaped today to ring in the New Year, I wasn't quite as productive as @luluzapcat what with their 3D printer and extruding and all!

I had a vision for a design that called for a mini-column mold which I did today. I wanted a white soap with 4 accent colors but just a miniscule amount. My brilliant idea was to not color soap, but just add mica-colored oil for accents using an in-the-pot swirl. What could go wrong? What a mess! All the colored oils glopped together. I still poured a little into molds -- and chucked a big chunk of it. Lord knows what I'll get tomorrow! I'm realizing the "micas" I'm using have a lot of oxides in their formulation.

I went in to it knowing it would be an experiment so I'm not at all bothered. Bad thing it I still have a s---load of dishes to wash. The good news is I discovered new colors that were exactly what I was looking for, and a great new essential oil blend 50/50 black pepper/tea tree.

Last edited:
First soap of the New Year made with old wine and cleaned oil from making Olie Bollen (Dutch donuts). I've come up with a very original name... "Wine and Donuts" 🤣 Really though...doesn't that sound delicious? Wish my skin could handle fragrance oils. I'm sure there's one out there that smells like honey glazed donuts. 🤤

First soap of the New Year made with old wine and cleaned oil from making Olie Bollen (Dutch donuts). I've come up with a very original name... "Wine and Donuts" 🤣 Really though...doesn't that sound delicious? Wish my skin could handle fragrance oils. I'm sure there's one out there that smells like honey glazed donuts. 🤤
You made Olie Bollen? I usually do but didn't this year because it's just the two of us. Yum!

My New Year's resolution: keep up with this thread. I end up not reading it for a few days, and it tends to overwhelm me. But y'all have so much fun and...FOMO.

Yesterday I got inspired by @Mobjack Bay's testing fragrance oils and tested 11, and today I made a batch with one of them! Happy New Year everyone!

I just used my last 2.4 oz of lye to make a small batch of Valentine soap. I don't know how you CP'ers get every last drop of soap out of a container because I cant do it. I made cp this time because I didnt want to lose any soap stuck to the crock pot and my spatula skills are sorely lacking so I didnt fare much better.

Back