What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOVE the bright colours in the first one - no mud at all! And love the design in the second one. Show us yer plates!
The bright colored ones are defined toward the middle, but by my preferences, quite muddy on the edges. I’m actually going to use the same two plates tomorrow. They’re both new. One purchased, one was a gift. I got the plates where I got all my pull through tools from Wildplantanica.com she just started a YouTube page too.

More soapy stuff. I made lotion bars for my sons for Christmas. My first lotion bar recipe 2 years ago was a dupe of ClimbOn (for rock climbers) that has like 100 ingredients. Since then I've done easy but highly effective 3 ingredient bars. One of my sons recently confessed he ONLY likes my dupe ClimbOn (which I call ClamberUp). So I hauled out all 100 ingredients tonight because, that's just the kind of dad I am.

about the consistencies, did you soap at the exact same temperature both times? Or did the oils/lye cool off for the second batch? Sometimes that can make a difference in behavior.
That's it! The first batch took awhile with 5 layers and mica lines so yes, the other batch of oil and lye liquid was cooling off. See, that's why I come here!
@Zing meadowfoam seed oil is very treacherous stuff.☠ As your friend, I will help you dispose of it safely; just ship it to my home and never worry about it again!
Uh, nice try. I see through your wily ways!
I just figured out what you meant by SUI lol. I do that all the time. I think i am more creative sometimes 🤪
LOL. To my credit, I will never ever soap UI.
You're the best! Thanks for reminding me of one of my faves. Good night good friends!

I come here for reassurance. TELL ME EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT!!😨
EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT!! :videovisit: Of course, now all I'll be thinking about tomorrow is Mrs. Zing's Christmas cookies! LOL

P.S. I have an excel spreadsheet I'd be glad to send you. Enter in your mold size and it calculates the mold volume and the amount of oils for that volume depending on water:lye ratio. I have it spec'd for ounces, so you'd still have some figuring to do for using grams. If you'd like to try it, message me. :)

Beautiful soaps love the neon colors too.
I come here for reassurance. I soaped today! I loved my recent alternating-wall-pour and this time decided to use both my 10" and 8" molds. So. Much. Math. I made one batch of melted oils and one batch of lye liquid. For the first batch, I weighed and poured oils and added lye liquid -- so stressful to not go over! -- and blended/colored/layered one batch before doing the second mold. I thought I'd save on dishes but I think next time I'll just do two separate batches. I soaped at medium trace and I knew if I was pouring into two separate molds at once, my batter eventually would have been cement.

Always am angsty until the cut but now I'm even more angsty because the second batter seemed a different consistency than the first batter and I'm wondering if I didn't stir the oils enough. Now the wait.... TELL ME EVERYTHING WILL BE ALL RIGHT!!😨

As a social services administrator, just another plug for the donation suggestion -- military, food pantry, or shelter! And, @AliOop , the Matthew quote is my absolute favorite verse.

I'm just a hobbyist but up until recently my entire basement was full of soap. Now after gift-giving it's looking bare! It's a weird feeling, like I know my soap has gone to good homes but still.... Mrs. Zing must feel the same way with her ever-shrinking supply of Christmas cookies.
Everything gonna be all right' 💫🧼

Great song.

I just figured out what you meant by SUI lol. I do that all the time. I think i am more creative sometimes 🤪
I vote we add the following to the acronym thread:

ShUI = shopping under the influence
SoUI = soaping under the influence

and maybe:

SSShUI = soapy supply shopping under the influence.

I must add that I don't get to do any of those because I can't metabolize alcohol. Seriously, even kombucha gives me a buzz! Which means, I have no excuse when all the packages show up.

I made soap! Hadn't made any since Thanksgiving... so, practically forever.

This was my first batch in my new smaller slab mold from Nurture, and my second swing at a pipe divider swirl. My base soap thickened too fast to get the design I wanted, but it was still pretty. I think the swirled leftover batter that went into another mold looks even better though. Both are now insulated for the night, so we shall see what the morning brings.

I unmolded my first loaf with a ‘manly’ FO. It is called green forest and I love it! A week or so ago I got my first haul of luxery fragrance oils in after messing about w knockoffs for a while. I am so glad I orderen them and am never going back, I love it ♥️

Im really happy with how the layers and swirl turned out, its EXACTLY as I had designed. Super excited!

A76258FD-5500-494C-900E-4AF779B8B187.jpeg
84121FA1-715E-4B04-B093-7E0D972D4D5A.jpeg

Attachments

• E03BD14E-0BE7-4335-8A29-22E13ED86071.jpeg
    E03BD14E-0BE7-4335-8A29-22E13ED86071.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 13
Absolutely stunning. I have no words.
I unmolded my first loaf with a ‘manly’ FO. It is called green forest and I love it! A week or so ago I got my first haul of luxery fragrance oils in after messing about w knockoffs for a while. I am so glad I orderen them and am never going back, I love it ♥

Im really happy with how the layers and swirl turned out, its EXACTLY as I had designed. Super excited!

View attachment 52576View attachment 52573

The bright colored ones are defined toward the middle, but by my preferences, quite muddy on the edges. I’m actually going to use the same two plates tomorrow. They’re both new. One purchased, one was a gift. I got the plates where I got all my pull through tools from Wildplantanica.com she just started a YouTube page too.
Which plate did you use for the bright coloured one? I have 5 new photos lates here and wondered if I have the same one :)

Which plate did you use for the bright coloured one? I have 5 new photos lates here and wondered if I have the same one :)
That plate is a custom design I ordered from wildplantanica.com
Her plates are very unique! You can see them all on her site.
It is a triple spiral design. I’m hoping my next try at it comes out better.

meadowfoam seed oil is very treacherous stuff.☠ As your friend, I will help you dispose of it safely; just ship it to my home and never worry about it again
Uh, nice try. I see through your wily ways!
Darn! I was just about to make the same offer and @AliOop beat me to it. Not only "wily" but quick on the draw as well, that one!
@Zing Meadowfoam is one of the loveliest oils to use in lotions & creams.
Fortune Teller.png

I see a round of lotion-making in your future... 😁

Im really happy with how the layers and swirl turned out, its EXACTLY as I had designed. Super excited
10 10 10.gif
10 10 10.gif

I had a busy soapy day yesterday. Made a batch, cut & cleaned a batch, did some labeling and updating and took a few photos. First photo is a pipe swirl... this didn't turn out quite like I wanted but I love the colours and hopefully next time the design will be a bit better. 2nd photo I decided to make a mosaic of some of my soaps... looks like a patchwork quilt.

Attachments

• Sweet Pea 2.jpg
    Sweet Pea 2.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Tapesty of Soap.jpg
    Tapesty of Soap.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 25
My soapy thing....I am shrink wrapping and labeling all of my "mishappen" soaps. They are all either cut weird or too small...all perfectly good soaps. One batch is really nice, but they totally lost the smell, so I can't sell them as a particular smell, but I also can't say they are unscented either because technically they do have a FO in them. I used one in the shower for a few weeks and I can't smell on bit of scent on it.

But I DO have quite a bunch of them. They are mostly all before I got a "standard" size. Some are just plain ugly (like soap challenge fails lol). I don't know what to do with all of them. Maybe a discounted grab bag for when I decide to do a vendor event, I dunno. $1 "imperfect but perfectly good" soaps? Or donate them. Haven't decided. I'd rather try to make money from them lol. But I am running out of room and I have post-its all over the place lol. So they are all being wrapped and properly labeled and put into a box. After I move I will get a better shelving/ curing rack and system LOL. Seriously, soap is everywhere...on shelves that I intended them for, on the ironing board, in two spare bedrooms, even in drawers in the end tables in the living room. All getting wrapped and boxed for now.

Which brings me to, what do you all do with holiday soaps that you still have after the season? I don't have that many, but enough. Holiday soaps weren't that popular here. Most people went for the fruity/tropical smells.
Just wondering, Have you tried Comfort & Joy from Nurture Soap. It's a holiday scent that is quite fruity. I think it's my favorite, but I keep saying that! So it's up there on my list anyway.

I entered my 5th try at the Lollipop Swirl to the SoapChallengeClub. This wasn't my favorite, but it turned out the best. The scent, "Green Irish Tweed" from Elements Bath & Body, actually slowed my trace, so I could finally get a good lollipop swirl.

Attachments

• F86AE91B-B93D-493C-9A66-A45FE7F67F90_1_201_a.jpeg
    F86AE91B-B93D-493C-9A66-A45FE7F67F90_1_201_a.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
I had a busy soapy day yesterday. Made a batch, cut & cleaned a batch, did some labeling and updating and took a few photos. First photo is a pipe swirl... this didn't turn out quite like I wanted but I love the colours and hopefully next time the design will be a bit better. 2nd photo I decided to make a mosaic of some of my soaps... looks like a patchwork quilt.
I love your pipe divider swirl! That's what I did yesterday, too, and my results were... less than stellar. I may go back to just swirling colors on the top, which usually turns out very well for me (and it requires NO MATH).

I entered my 5th try at the Lollipop Swirl to the SoapChallengeClub. This wasn't my favorite, but it turned out the best. The scent, "Green Irish Tweed" from Elements Bath & Body, actually slowed my trace, so I could finally get a good lollipop swirl.
That looks fantastic! I've been wanting to try the lollipop swirl soon, but you've set the bar really high.

omg those are absolutely adorable!!!! Good luck on the Soap Challenge. I think you have a winner there!!

And no, haven't tried comfort and joy yet. It's on my list of "I keep forgetting to add to my cart" LOL. I should just go ahead and order every FO there. I'm gonna end up doing it eventually anyway.

Latest posts

Back