What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having another go-round with the slab mold. Using my own recipe this time. I am a little out of my comfort zone, but i am having fun lol.

I am probably going to have way more batter than i need, but i have lots of smaller molds waiting. One or two more batches will help me figure out better measurements. I used to be really good at math, I think I have gotten lazy with it over the years. A lot of trial and error and i have my loaf molds down to the last drop. This is only my second go round with the slab, so my overflow molds will get less and less over time lol.

I got my sealer in today. Before i took my nap (night shift), i played with it a bit. I knew my ugly bars were good for something. But i think i got the wrong sealer. I guess i need one that cuts (??). Determined to not let it defeat me, I have been figuring out how to “cut” it with two passes, while not making the edges look burnt, if that makes sense.

I am babbling cause i am waiting for my lye to cool lol.
.........................................​

Edit: I am done. Hope its good after the cpop. Had to stop myself from playing with it lol. First i went diagonal, then lengthwise, then figure 8.

I could have easily fit the leftovers that are in the little cavity molds, but it was getting too black. It was supposed to be mostly white with black gray and red. I think i used too much white in the bottom.

in the pic, the reddish part is just the light from the microwave light. It all looks like the rest of the mold. Not disturbing it to take another picture.

I am happy with it. Hope it is better than my last one.

FO is Afternoon Tea.

Attachments

• F7137CD5-E445-4E99-8DCD-A1770702A006.jpeg
    F7137CD5-E445-4E99-8DCD-A1770702A006.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 7F1C90A6-A717-4A38-A74C-77ACA1D17332.jpeg
    7F1C90A6-A717-4A38-A74C-77ACA1D17332.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Tried several new things in one soap batch last night. Local cocoa butter, ethically sourced local palm oil and their own lightly refined coconut oil (I usually use the supermarket kind for soaping), and a new (to me) mold.

Today I cut it with a new (to me) single cutter.

Haven't made confetti soap in a while.
IMG_20201129_205945.jpg

Not sure you can call it confetti because I didn't shred the soap into small pieces, obviously lol

Wow, palm makes hard soap. First time to use it and at just one day after this soap is harder than everything else I make. Was pretty fluid too, with just 2.4:1 water, hot process.

Tried several new things in one soap batch last night. Local cocoa butter, ethically sourced local palm oil and their own lightly refined coconut oil (I usually use the supermarket kind for soaping), and a new (to me) mold.

Today I cut it with a new (to me) single cutter.

Haven't made confetti soap in a while.
View attachment 52009
Not sure you can call it confetti because I didn't shred the soap into small pieces, obviously lol

Wow, palm makes hard soap. First time to use it and at just one day after this soap is harder than everything else I make. Was pretty fluid too, with just 2.4:1 water, hot process.
I love those bars! Such pretty colors.

I have finally had a minute to catch up and pull out my soap tools. Made 2 batches yesterday and planning on at least one more batch today. My friends and family like to get them for Christmas. Hopefully they will understand the lateness this year.

My new stick blender was delivered last night while I was at work! My kids sent me a picture of the box and I got even more excited! I opened it this morning and really want to make some soap to try it out, but I have to go to work! And I’m back at work at 7am tomorrow morning... I’m never gonna get to try it out! Plus, no clue what kinda soap I wanna make! I think I want to make more with aloe and maybe try one of my new FO. Maybe a pot swirl, but what colors? Decisions decisions decisions!

@Dawni
[/QUOTE]
I’d buy a curing shelf like that if he’s selling them! Great looking shelf!!!

The DH bought me a stainless steel counter to replace my old wooden cabinet I’ve been using in my soap making area. It’s getting delivered today and I’m super excited! I’ve been waiting to make my face oil because I’ve been waiting for my new super clean countertop.
Wrapping and mailing a whole bunch of soaps! My friends have been so great and supportive!!!

I am probably going to have way more batter than i need, but i have lots of smaller molds waiting. One or two more batches will help me figure out better measurements. I used to be really good at math, I think I have gotten lazy with it over the years.
The method I used to determine my slab mold capacity was to fill it with water while on the scale and weigh it filled. That gives you the general capacity of your necessary soap batter. Subtract 70% to determine the weight of oils. You can do this with any vessel (even PVC pipes).

Look for orchard drying racks. I was gifted one for my birthday last year. It holds a lot of soap!

I tested FOs today - Nag Champa, Dragons Blood and Sensual - all from MMS. My house smells like a head shop and I think I’m going to need to open windows soon. I used a lard/tallow recipe to help avoid trouble, but didn’t have any. I expected the DB to start getting dark right away, but a few hours later it doesn’t look discolored at all.

Last edited:
Someone near me was selling an individual cavity mold on FB marketplace ($5!) so I went and got that yesterday. Of course I immediately had to make soap in it, so did salt bars because cavities! It came out looking and smelling like orange dreamsicle, which was not at all the plan, but it's not terrible either. 😂

9FF57234-2134-4DE2-BEF4-04C9E1B2026D.jpeg

I am probably going to have way more batter than i need, but i have lots of smaller molds waiting.

My slab mold is 12" x 12" x 3 1/2" I've always used- (Length X Width X Hight) X .554- to find the total volume of any of my rectangular molds. So (12*12*3.5*)*.554 = 279.216 oz. It's usually pretty accurate!

I read an article once that if you multiple your L X W X H by .40 it would calculate your oil weight, but I've never found that calculation to work for me when putting a recipe into a calculator.

Soap looks good though!!!! 😍🥰

Look for orchard drying racks. I was gifted one for my birthday last year. It holds a lot of soap!

I tested FOs today - Nag Champa, Dragons Blood and Sensual - all from MMS. My house smells like a head shop and I think I’m going to need to open windows soon. I used a lard/tallow recipe to help avoid trouble, but didn’t have any. I expected the DB to start getting dark right away, but a few hours later it doesn’t look discolored at all.
I’ve looked at the orchard racks several times. They’re a bit pricy for me for right now. But, I may just wait and get them when I can.

@Dawni
Right? If you were closer I'd send you over to him lol but I'm very sure there are a lot more options for racks where you are. I looked forever before I found someone who was willing to make this, and he was 2 hours away lol

Not quite soapy thing:
IMG_20201130_104548.jpg

People have started ordering gifts - I suspect for office colleagues, coz Christmas parties at work start as early as first week December - and the mini lotion bars are the popular choice coz they're affordable even if you buy double digits. I made 18 balms last night as well.

I made lotion bars using a "poor mans" double boiler that I've used in the past to successfully make lotion bars. I put my ingredients in a glass mason jar, put the mason jar in a pot of water and heat/boil the water. Everything was looking good and melted, but when I went to lift the mason jar out the bottom broke off and all the melted oils and butters went into my water. BUMMER!

I didn't have another mason jar, and I don't have a double broiler, so I just decided to use the pot to melt the oils directly. I'm not sure why I couldn't do that in the first place, because it seemed to work out....okay. I just put the lotion in freezer and I'll see if they turn out okay.

Also, this weekend, I must have shrink wrapped like.....a million soap bars. And I'm not even exaggerating. LOL.

I unmolded and cut my slab mold batch from last night. I am much happier using my own recipe than experimenting with a new recipe like i did with the last batch.

Which also prompted me to order a planer lol. I ordered the one that @Todd Ziegler mentioned on a previous post that i dug up.

I shrink wrapped a ton of soap today...and i am still going. I am in love with my new sealer now that i got it figured out. It is making a huge difference in my packaging. I even unwrapped a bunch of soap that i shrink wrapped without a sealer...i cant even believe that i thought they looked good lol.

Getting ready to wrap a loaf that somebody pre-ordered from me for xmas gifts. I told her that i would keep them curing for as long as possible. 10 weeks and now i feel like she should start paying me rent for them lol. Out the door they go this week.

Back