What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Misschief Awesome display!! What products are in the jars and bags? And are those baby feet soaps?! You are a good friend to do that.
Thanks @Zing!

Left Box: on the top of the box are a couple of face/body creams and Natural Deodorant; in the box are (l to r) foot scrub, body wash mousse and two sugar scrubs (Green Tea and Mocha). In the right box: on the top are Bath Salts and Fruit & Cream Angel Bath; in the box are Foaming Facial Mud Mask and the little feet are Mentho Minty Pedi Bombs (definitely not bath bombs). At the center, on the table are my lip balms and in front of the balms are lip scrub and lip serum combos. At the far right are my Cuticle Oil pens and dropper bottles (in the little organza bags).

Oh yes, natural colorants are finicky! That ratanjot I mentioned gives me green and blue aside from purple, and that too in varying shades haha. Some fade to a very light version of themselves, if not brown or a light tan. You'll know manjistha as madder, that sticks for me. Annatto is great at staying put, turmeric not so much. They do need a lot of experimenting.

I've been soaping a lil less than 2 and a half years :)

Ok so I'm productive today haha.. Stamped my green clay soaps just now. Later if the lil dude sleeps early maybe I'll get on that dish soap I keep saying I'll make lol
It’s nice to know I’m on the right track with noticing morphing lol. I recently started using turmeric. I’ve used annatto and it seems to be holding soo far.. I have madder but haven’t used it. I bought some clays from elements bath and body - one of them purple Brazilian clay..are you familiar with that? I was trying to see if it gave me a different purple than alkanet. Amazing what you do with having a baby! I enjoy seeing your pictures ! I’m waiting to see what will happen with this color.. it’s a mix of indigo, rose clay, purple clay and alkanet. I may have gone overboard 😂 thanks for your response!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks @Zing!

Left Box: on the top of the box are a couple of face/body creams and Natural Deodorant; in the box are (l to r) foot scrub, body wash mousse and two sugar scrubs (Green Tea and Mocha). In the right box: on the top are Bath Salts and Fruit & Cream Angel Bath; in the box are Foaming Facial Mud Mask and the little feet are Mentho Minty Pedi Bombs (definitely not bath bombs). At the center, on the table are my lip balms and in front of the balms are lip scrub and lip serum combos. At the far right are my Cuticle Oil pens and dropper bottles (in the little organza bags).
You are a full-service soaper!! Head to toe!

Boo!
This really took me aback! I think of you as a long-time veteran and thought you were on this forum long before me. Your soaps are so advanced and all that natural colorant stuff. You must have had a super steep learning curve!
Omg what a compliment, thank you Mr. Zing! I just hit my 2yr anniversary on this forum last month hehe. There's been lots to discover and still lots more to learn here
And how old is your little one? Like were you learning soaping while parenting a baby?!
My first ever encounter with soap making was mid July of 2018 while the SO held the baby for half the day, who just turned one then, only coming to me when he needed to breastfeed (the baby not him nyahaha). Even the lady teaching us every now n then stopped to wonder where the baby music was coming from upstairs lol. It was actually easier to soap then - Dustin slept more and talked less haha and now he's just always in my business (quite literally lol). I still only soap when he's napping or out cold lol, or just out. He's 3yrs and 3mos. now :)

I bought some clays from elements bath and body - one of them purple Brazilian clay..are you familiar with that? I was trying to see if it gave me a different purple than alkanet.
I'm envious! Been looking for purple clay but no one here sells it. It should give you a lighter purple than what you can get from alkanet. None of my clays give me enough color without help, sadly. I even have a green clay soap that's quite sandy in color lol
Amazing what you do with having a baby! I enjoy seeing your pictures ! I’m waiting to see what will happen with this color.. it’s a mix of indigo, rose clay, purple clay and alkanet. I may have gone overboard 😂 thanks for your response!
Awww thank you! Remember to show us if it changes, it's a pretty color now too though. And I don't think it's possible to go overboard with coloring soap lol

@Misschief I'd have loved to go shopping in your kitchen hehehe

@msunnerstood I want to hug them LOL

Had a good soaping session today. Working on a set of pull throughs with a theme. Two down and will do two tomorrow.
my soap pipping didn’t work out so great.
How long do you let your batter sit before you pipe it?

Attachments

• 9941C36C-5D86-49AC-AC2E-D1EC7F26811F.jpeg
    9941C36C-5D86-49AC-AC2E-D1EC7F26811F.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 13
  • 96657FD6-6E65-4B8A-8D56-F33091D1EF7F.jpeg
    96657FD6-6E65-4B8A-8D56-F33091D1EF7F.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 10
  • C949468E-C802-4020-8CA9-484D84FE9A76.jpeg
    C949468E-C802-4020-8CA9-484D84FE9A76.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 18
I'm envious! Been looking for purple clay but no one here sells it. It should give you a lighter purple than what you can get from alkanet. None of my clays give me enough color without help, sadly. I even have a green clay soap that's quite sandy in color lol

Awww thank you! Remember to show us if it changes, it's a pretty color now too though. And I don't think it's possible to go overboard with coloring soap lol
I Will remember to do that! I could sure check to see what it would take to mail to the Philippines and send you some clays if you’d like! I bought really small packages to start out with . It shouldn’t be hard or expensive. Let me know and I’ll check!

I Will remember to do that! I could sure check to see what it would take to mail to the Philippines and send you some clays if you’d like! I bought really small packages to start out with . It shouldn’t be hard or expensive. Let me know and I’ll check!
Ha! I'm halfway around the globe and it will set you back more than buying a big amount of that clay for yourself lol but thank you for thinking of it :)

So.. It's storming but I'm wrapping up lotion bars to send once it's safe for the delivery guys to use their motorbikes outside. I should have made slightly shorter tags. Oh well..

Had a good soaping session today. Working on a set of pull throughs with a theme. Two down and will do two tomorrow.
my soap pipping didn’t work out so great.
How long do you let your batter sit before you pipe it?
As long as it takes. It's ready when it will hold a peak. If you only want a few minutes of piping, a mildly accelerating fragrance (or a tiny amount of a stronger one) can get you to the proper consistency a little faster without exponentially accelerating the way stick-blending can. However, if you've got a lot of piping to do, you've got a lot of waiting to do first.

*sigh* yesterday had a flop batch. And by flop batch, I mean 1/4 of the oils separated in the mold, and instead of a purple and white wood swirl, the top of what was left looked like brown HP. I tried pouring it into a bowl to re-mix it, but the lower half of the mixture was really, really thick. I have absolutely no idea what went wrong, so I decided to just throw it all out and start over. Second batch looked ok last I checked, but a tired math error meant I used more liquid than it needed, so if this batch doesn't separate I'll be able to unmold it sometime next week.

You shoulda tried to HP it @GemstonePony so it really would have been brown HP lol

I just got off chatting with a customer and she bought all but one of my red reef clay soaps. She saw the pic of em stamped on Instagram (it's here in this thread somewhere too). She's putting together a baptism souvenir box for her son named Reef so she wanted em. I asked when the baptism was, in case there was time to make him soap without the word clay but there wasn't, and she didn't mind.

She also didn't mind a short lecture (haha) about claims, and I said I don't have claims about benefits n what not other than it feels nice. I did mention that the ingredients supposedly are good for this n that but I made sure to tell her that the process of soap making changes everything chemically and it's hard to say if the properties are left intact.

I feel validated when customers like that answer like "wow I didn't know that thank you for telling me" compared to "I don't want your soap it might not have benefits" lol.

Did you use the advance search? Did you look at your own history for the thread you started?
:lol: I think it's funny you couldn't find your own thread. Not making fun, just chuckling.

Here it is:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-inspiration-pictures-non-soap.80885/
It’s not my own thread. I found that one! Hahaha Although I do lose my own things all day long.
This is an actual soap that i saw that blew my mind. I wanted to post a pic and the tutorial because i thought y’all would dig it too.

You shoulda tried to HP it @GemstonePony so it really would have been brown HP lol

I just got off chatting with a customer and she bought all but one of my red reef clay soaps. She saw the pic of em stamped on Instagram (it's here in this thread somewhere too). She's putting together a baptism souvenir box for her son named Reef so she wanted em. I asked when the baptism was, in case there was time to make him soap without the word clay but there wasn't, and she didn't mind.

She also didn't mind a short lecture (haha) about claims, and I said I don't have claims about benefits n what not other than it feels nice. I did mention that the ingredients supposedly are good for this n that but I made sure to tell her that the process of soap making changes everything chemically and it's hard to say if the properties are left intact.

I feel validated when customers like that answer like "wow I didn't know that thank you for telling me" compared to "I don't want your soap it might not have benefits" lol.
That's awesome!
And regarding the soap, it had a lot of purple Mica. In fact, when I tried blending it, the result was lavender purple sludge, which is why it made even less sense that the top of the solids were brown, and separated oils were clear. Without know why I was seeing what I was seeing, I didn't feel comfortable trying to salvage it.

Latest posts

Back