What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to bed shortly after work due to not feeling well. Got up a few hours later and couldn't sleep. Nothing to do but make a double-master-batch of lye solution. It really makes soaping so much more enjoyable to me when I don't have to measure out the lye and liquid each time, or wait for it to cool.

Was so proud of myself for remembering to add the tussah silk this time -- thank you, @TheGecko for clueing me in about that! Was just about to start cleaning up when I realized I'd mixed a 2:1 ratio instead of my desired 1.5:1 ratio. Sigh. Got out more lye, did some more measuring and stirring, and am now ready to go to sleep. Hoping third time will be the charm for the SMF Challenge later today (since it is now past midnight). And maybe modify the label that says 50% lye solution to 40%. I really shouldn't be math-ing in the wee hours. 🤯

View attachment 50853
I hope you’re feeling better! You’ve got this! Your first attempt was amazing. I need to start masterbatching. I’m really getting tired of waiting for the lye to cool down. 😬

@Jersey Girl thank you, I am better. I’m pretty sure it was usual leaf allergies. Hubs had just come in from blowing off the roof and gutters, and then mowing up all the leaves to dump them in the compost. Gets me every time!

Re: master-batching lye - do it! Changed my whole soaping game. I soap more and enjoy it more bc I don’t have to plan around the lye.

Since I almost always use a 40% lye concentration, that’s what I mix up, and that’s what I put in the soap calculator. No math to do other what is needed to make the big batch (which, as you can see, is more than enough for me). 😅

I hope you’re feeling better! You’ve got this! Your first attempt was amazing. I need to start masterbatching. I’m really getting tired of waiting for the lye to cool down. 😬
Once my lye is mixed, I put the bowl in a sink full of cold water. It doesn't take long before it's cool enough to soap with.

I need to start masterbatching. I’m really getting tired of waiting for the lye to cool down.

I master batch my oils/butters and my lye. I started doing it because if I was going to make a business out of this, I needed to be able to make more soap and I simply didn't have time during the week (full-time job and commute) and not a lot of time on the weekends.

In addition to having my oils/butters and lye pre-mixed, I have a spreadsheet that lists every mold and how much oil/butter and lye I need to fill each one. So when I want to make soap, I first attach a commercial paint stirrer to a drill and mix up the oils/butters. Because the hard oils are mixed with the soft oils they never resolidify, but the stearic in the Palm Oil still settles to the bottom. I then weigh my bowl and tare the scale and then grab my ladle that hold approximately 4 oz and start counting the number of scoops I need per my spreadsheet and then weigh and adjust. I then pop the bowl in the microwave and depending on the batch size...20-30 seconds PPO. While the oils are going from slurry to liquid, I weigh out my lye solution (ready to pour) and add in my Sodium Lactate. I then mix up my Kaolin Clay with a bit of water and whisk it in to the warmed oils/butters.

This takes me maybe 10 minutes tops and I am now ready to make whatever soap I want. And since I started using microfiber towels, I will use the same containers, spatulas and whisk over and over again which has really cut down on cleaning time. And since my recipe is well-behaving overall, I will often mix up a large quantity of batter in a dish tub and then just pour off what I need for each soap. I can usually make six different soaps in about an hour's time.

I master batch my oils/butters and my lye. I started doing it because if I was going to make a business out of this, I needed to be able to make more soap and I simply didn't have time during the week (full-time job and commute) and not a lot of time on the weekends.

In addition to having my oils/butters and lye pre-mixed, I have a spreadsheet that lists every mold and how much oil/butter and lye I need to fill each one. So when I want to make soap, I first attach a commercial paint stirrer to a drill and mix up the oils/butters. Because the hard oils are mixed with the soft oils they never resolidify, but the stearic in the Palm Oil still settles to the bottom. I then weigh my bowl and tare the scale and then grab my ladle that hold approximately 4 oz and start counting the number of scoops I need per my spreadsheet and then weigh and adjust. I then pop the bowl in the microwave and depending on the batch size...20-30 seconds PPO. While the oils are going from slurry to liquid, I weigh out my lye solution (ready to pour) and add in my Sodium Lactate. I then mix up my Kaolin Clay with a bit of water and whisk it in to the warmed oils/butters.

This takes me maybe 10 minutes tops and I am now ready to make whatever soap I want. And since I started using microfiber towels, I will use the same containers, spatulas and whisk over and over again which has really cut down on cleaning time. And since my recipe is well-behaving overall, I will often mix up a large quantity of batter in a dish tub and then just pour off what I need for each soap. I can usually make six different soaps in about an hour's time.
Great system. Goals! 😁

I master batch oils and butters in the same way. I tried with lye but find it is then too cold and I get stearic spots. I warm the oils in the microwave but what to do about cold lye?

I have been working with chocolate for my Christmas recipes. Here are chocolate mint and chocolate orange (uncut).

Attachments

• 4EC7651C-3D05-41D3-97A3-3957E2E64E79.jpeg
    4EC7651C-3D05-41D3-97A3-3957E2E64E79.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 0C67DACE-3A99-444C-B984-D5403E1E80CC.jpeg
    0C67DACE-3A99-444C-B984-D5403E1E80CC.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 18
I master batch oils and butters in the same way. I tried with lye but find it is then too cold and I get stearic spots. I warm the oils in the microwave but what to do about cold lye?

I would say to put your measured lye in a bowl or pan of water at the temp you want it to be. Or maybe a few seconds in the microwave though I have NO CLUE how benign or dangerous that would be...maybe others could chime in.

I actually tried for a specific outcome instead of a happy accident, was very scientific and focused and disciplined (very against my nature) and I got the color I was trying for: pink. It is colored with rhubarb root infused oilve oil and has 9 oils in all, everything but the olive is one of the whiter ones. I reduced the infused oil to 10% of my last try and put it in the fridge to get a lighter color. Such a departure from my throw-it-together approach. Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I used a Tea Tree/Geranium EO blend at 2.5% usage. Oh, and a new mold, took out the silicone and lined with paper. Yay, I want a brownie button.

Added cut photo the next morning, was so afraid it would morph or partial gel or something like that, but it is OK!
View attachment 50833View attachment 50857
Wow, truly a stunning color! Very pretty.

I have been working with chocolate for my Christmas recipes. Here are chocolate mint and chocolate orange (uncut).
They look fabulous! 🙂

I made my first (and only) Pine Tar Soap. I say only because im allergic to pine. But it was a special request from a friend. So i risked my life and made it lol.

Added pine fo, pumice, and AC. I think it looks pretty. I love black soap. I used @DeeAnna method of splitting the oils in half...one just for the lye solution, and the other half got all of the other stuff before i combined the two. I cant wait to cut
044776A0-9DB5-4E86-B562-22B95CEE5438.jpeg

@Jersey Girl thank you, I am better. I’m pretty sure it was usual leaf allergies. Hubs had just come in from blowing off the roof and gutters, and then mowing up all the leaves to dump them in the compost. Gets me every time!

Re: master-batching lye - do it! Changed my whole soaping game. I soap more and enjoy it more bc I don’t have to plan around the lye.

Since I almost always use a 40% lye concentration, that’s what I mix up, and that’s what I put in the soap calculator. No math to do other what is needed to make the big batch (which, as you can see, is more than enough for me). 😅
Hope you feel better soon! Allergies are no joke.
I feel like I can’t master batch my lye because I add sugar to my water. It really helps with the bubbles because I use very low CO.

I didn’t plan on making soap tonight. I was supposed to be packing for a trip. But I got into my stash of soap dough and did an experiment, then i just HAD to see how it worked. I had all the ingredients prepped and went ahead and put the embed into a loaf. We’ll see if it looks silly, or if it resembles what I hope it will.
Got a new anti fatigue mat. Yay! Carpet in a soaping area is a BAD idea!!! Also, going to try the blue shop towels. They “absorbe oil”! Also, a big bottle of lavender EO. Yay!

Attachments

• A3A3B2B9-0A54-42A8-ABD2-33FBF2B29EEF.jpeg
    A3A3B2B9-0A54-42A8-ABD2-33FBF2B29EEF.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 7
@TashaBird doing better today, thank you!

Part of the reason I do such a strong lye concentration is that I do like to add sugar to all my soaps. To do that with master-batched lye solution, I use 2 T hot water to dissolve every 1 T sugar that I'm using for my batch. You could probably do less, but that works for me. I add my clays to the now-warm sugar water, and then add EOs to that. Stick-blend it all into the oils before adding the MB lye solution.

You can do it that way, or you can do the 50-50 master-batch, so there is always more water to add, so you can always dissolve your sugar. Hope that makes sense?

@TashaBird doing better today, thank you!

Part of the reason I do such a strong lye concentration is that I do like to add sugar to all my soaps. To do that with master-batched lye solution, I use 2 T hot water to dissolve every 1 T sugar that I'm using for my batch. You could probably do less, but that works for me. I add my clays to the now-warm sugar water, and then add EOs to that. Stick-blend it all into the oils before adding the MB lye solution.

You can do it that way, or you can do the 50-50 master-batch, so there is always more water to add, so you can always dissolve your sugar. Hope that makes sense?
This part still boggles my mind. I may revisit this when I’m not so tired.

I feel like I can’t master batch my lye because I add sugar to my water. It really helps with the bubbles because I use very low CO.
I use sugar, too, and use a 50/50 mb lye concentration as well. Here's my process:
*measure out liquid
*add sugar to liquid
* measure out necessary 50/50 mb lye solution
*add lye solution to liquid/sugar solution
*stir to combine

The whole solution will heat up so plan ahead.

Made three batches of soap, including Try #3 for this month's challenge. My hand bobbled on two of the colors, so I'm expecting to see some drop-swirl action in between the shimmies. Ah well. The other two were confetti soaps with a fruity FO. They are all tucked in for the night, and I'm looking forward to some cutting fun tomorrow. :)

I also sorted and organized my soap cabinet and the FOUR de-stash boxes from @cmzaha. To summarize, my soaping supplies are no longer limited to the big soap cabinet; they can also be found in the big entry credenza, the spare bedroom closet, and some of the garage shelving. That doesn't include the slab mold, grid cutter, and single-wire cutter that are sitting out on the table waiting to be listed for sale. 😆

Made three batches of soap, including Try #3 for this month's challenge. My hand bobbled on two of the colors, so I'm expecting to see some drop-swirl action in between the shimmies. Ah well. The other two were confetti soaps with a fruity FO. They are all tucked in for the night, and I'm looking forward to some cutting fun tomorrow. :)

I also sorted and organized my soap cabinet and the FOUR de-stash boxes from @cmzaha. To summarize, my soaping supplies are no longer limited to the big soap cabinet; they can also be found in the big entry credenza, the spare bedroom closet, and some of the garage shelving. That doesn't include the slab mold, grid cutter, and single-wire cutter that are sitting out on the table waiting to be listed for sale. 😆
I will buy the slab mold if you ate selling it 😊

I will buy the slab mold if you ate selling it 😊
Will PM you.

Forgot to mention earlier that I was actually conducting a soaping class for some very interested students. As you can see from the pic, we observed all COVID safety protocols by having them remain behind a thick glass shield.

IMG_1056.JPG

Back