What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok...time for some soapy humor. Here’s the video my husband randomly started taking while I was attempting my first Tall Skinny Shimmy for the challenge. I can’t believe I’m posting this as I’m looking pretty rough with my pjs, dollar store readers and hair thrown up last minute, but I thought you would get a kick out of it. Be sure to unmute because the commentary and my uncontrollable cackling is what makes it. 😂
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0PDHvs39qmj7M4SPeMVMaVwWw#Brick
Oh my gosh, that was awesome! 🤣 Thanks for sharing.

I got to unbox a brand new Soap Cutter Pro that my hubby surprised me with. Early Christmas gift! I can’t wait to use it. I actually have the day off tomorrow so I will definitely be making soap. 👩🏻‍🔬

We just did an outdoor market last weekend and it got very windy. We had the canopy and one back wall on the tent with 20lbs of weight around each tent leg (80lbs total) and it didn't budge. We use the kind of weights that have a slot and they can be stacked up around the tent leg. I also found these on amazon.
I like those. I will have to ask if these are acceptable based on her reaction to me telling her my tent size Lol.

Thank you! I pick up most of my shape molds at TJ maxx, Marshalls etc. Or at thrift stores LOL 🤣 I am cheap hahaha when it comes to molds. My husband makes all of my log molds for me.
I've also found some cool silicone shape molds at supermarkets in the kitchen gadgets section and stores like Joann or Hobby Lobby.

When we lived in Texas, HEB often had fun molds in their kitchen implement aisles.
Yes!!! That's where I got the molds to make my Texas soaps and they were a big hit at the craft show I did (in Texas) last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_9561.JPG
    IMG_9561.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 16
@Angie Gail nice!

I forgot to mention that Facebook soap destash pages often have lots of silicone shape molds for sale, and often pretty cheaply. I bought a big lot of those molds from someone off FB. I ended up sharing about half of them with other soaping friends who would use the mold shapes I didn’t want. And it was still cheaper to buy the whole lot rather than buying brand new versions of the ones I kept.

I got the idea here, but I can’t remember where. I wound up not getting any soap on them and didn’t want to take them off. They were kind of comfortable, like arm warmers.
It's funny you say that. I bought a pair of socks at a thrift store for that very purpose. My wrists are always cold and my sock wrist warmers are perfect for keeping them warm.

Well, as much fun as it has been to say “In the Poop Swirl” I’m not getting the effect I want.
I really want representation of all three colors, even-ish on the visible side of the soap. I even intentionally tried to have my subsequent pours break through the first poured color. Then I swirled at an angle from bottom to top, as well as around. I still mostly got the first poured color.
I have one poop soap left in my:
Mythical Creatures Poop Soap Sampler. 😆
So for my dragon poop, I’ll be returning to the traditional ITPS.

Attachments

• 6FBC9ECE-E3CD-483B-AF45-11621B749B4A.jpeg
    6FBC9ECE-E3CD-483B-AF45-11621B749B4A.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 15
I actually tried for a specific outcome instead of a happy accident, was very scientific and focused and disciplined (very against my nature) and I got the color I was trying for: pink. It is colored with rhubarb root infused oilve oil and has 9 oils in all, everything but the olive is one of the whiter ones. I reduced the infused oil to 10% of my last try and put it in the fridge to get a lighter color. Such a departure from my throw-it-together approach. Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I used a Tea Tree/Geranium EO blend at 2.5% usage. Oh, and a new mold, took out the silicone and lined with paper. Yay, I want a brownie button.

Added cut photo the next morning, was so afraid it would morph or partial gel or something like that, but it is OK!
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0678.JPG

Last edited:
I actually tried for a specific outcome instead of a happy accident, was very scientific and focused and disciplined (very against my nature) and I got the color I was trying for: pink. It is colored with rhubarb root infused oilve oil and has 9 oils in all, everything but the olive is one of the whiter ones. I reduced the infused oil to 10% of my last try and put it in the fridge to get a lighter color. Such a departure from my throw-it-together approach. Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I used a Tea Tree/Geranium EO blend at 2.5% usage. Oh, and a new mold, took out the silicone and lined with paper. Yay, I want a brownie button.
View attachment 50833
That’s a beautiful color you got! Very pretty.

My soapy thing for the day was trying a new FO. Succulent Agave & Oakmoss from Candles and Supplies. It thickened up a bit on me but I think I was still able to get a decent swirl. I guess I’ll see tomorrow! It smells really nice. It’s hard to describe but it’s a clean, light kind of perfume scent. I like it. It’s all tucked in for the night. 😁
ETA the cut.
23644C5B-92DF-4EB5-80D5-8248D66B0C8D.jpeg

FA43123E-750B-4C62-AD6F-A8029E30C7AB.jpeg

Last edited:
I trimmed (is that the right word? What do we call it when we make the sharp edges unsharp with a potato peeler? My mind is mush!) the Zany’s no-slime Castile I made yesterday. Scented with Ginger and Lime from Nurture but at only half strength since it is for my very elderly aunt. I am so impressed how fast I was able to unmold and cut that soap yesterday - four hours!!

I also took three bars of a cured test soap to work today and left out in the break room. It was Star Showers FO from Nurture and I reeeeaaallly did not like it at all. Apparently no one else likes it either because by the time I left only one bar had been taken. Ha!

I trimmed (is that the right word? What do we call it when we make the sharp edges unsharp with a potato peeler? My mind is mush!) the Zany’s no-slime Castile I made yesterday. Scented with Ginger and Lime from Nurture but at only half strength since it is for my very elderly aunt. I am so impressed how fast I was able to unmold and cut that soap yesterday - four hours!!

I also took three bars of a cured test soap to work today and left out in the break room. It was Star Showers FO from Nand I reeeeaaallly did not like it at all! Apparently no one else likes it either because by the time I left only one bar had been taken. Ha!
Beveled, I think. My mind is mush too. And Star Showers sounds like it should be so nice, sorry to hear it isn't.

View attachment 50833
Love the color' beautiful.

My soapy thing for the day was trying a new FO. Succulent Agave & Oakmoss from Candles and Supplies. It thickened up a bit on me but I think I was still able to get a decent swirl. I guess I’ll see tomorrow! It smells really nice. It’s hard to describe but it’s a clean, light kind of perfume scent. I like it. It’s all tucked in for the night. 😁View attachment 50834
very pretty

Went to bed shortly after work due to not feeling well. Got up a few hours later and couldn't sleep. Nothing to do but make a double-master-batch of lye solution. It really makes soaping so much more enjoyable to me when I don't have to measure out the lye and liquid each time, or wait for it to cool.

Was so proud of myself for remembering to add the tussah silk this time -- thank you, @TheGecko for clueing me in about that! Was just about to start cleaning up when I realized I'd mixed a 2:1 ratio instead of my desired 1.5:1 ratio. Sigh. Got out more lye, did some more measuring and stirring, and am now ready to go to sleep. Hoping third time will be the charm for the SMF Challenge later today (since it is now past midnight). And maybe modify the label that says 50% lye solution to 40%. I really shouldn't be math-ing in the wee hours. 🤯

IMG_1054.JPG

Latest posts

Back