What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poured my second try at the SMF challenge. Totally different than the first one, which was quiet, calm, and almost zen-like. This time I did almost every stupid thing one can do while soaping, except I was wearing PPE, THANKFULLY or else I'd be burned and blind.

Let's skip the details and summarize by saying there were lye-coated utensils and dishes in various spots around the kitchen, along with a husband trying to be helpful and not realizing that he shouldn't touch stuff. And in the frenzy of it all, I think I missed the wall when pouring a few of the colors, so it's probably going to be a drop swirl, not a shimmy. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett.

ETA: @lenarenee thanks for the giggles. Some of us are immature like that. Ok, I'M immature like that. Basically, if a sixth grader would laugh, I'm going to be giggling, too. 😁

I didn't even mean it to be funny and had to go back and double check what the heck I posted! You and misschief had ME giggling!
But the poor op - he's in African and I hope there's not a culturally misunderstanding!

I didn't even mean it to be funny and had to go back and double check what the heck I posted! You and misschief had ME giggling!
But the poor op - he's in African and I hope there's not a culturally misunderstanding!
Very good point. We promise to behave better now. Right @Misschief?

I have been doing a lot of reading as im a newbie and still confuse about lye concentration and water % :(
The following article really helped me understand lye concentration (water to lye ratio) when I first started making soap. The expression "water discount" is confusing because it's inexact, but her visuals and chart were very helpful.

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/lye-solution-in-soapmaking/
Scroll down to:
The Most Common Lye Solution Strengths in Soapmaking

Hope it helps!

Poured my second try at the SMF challenge. Totally different than the first one, which was quiet, calm, and almost zen-like. This time I did almost every stupid thing one can do while soaping, except I was wearing PPE, THANKFULLY or else I'd be burned and blind.

Let's skip the details and summarize by saying there were lye-coated utensils and dishes in various spots around the kitchen, along with a husband trying to be helpful and not realizing that he shouldn't touch stuff. And in the frenzy of it all, I think I missed the wall when pouring a few of the colors, so it's probably going to be a drop swirl, not a shimmy. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett.

ETA: @lenarenee thanks for the giggles. Some of us are immature like that. Ok, I'M immature like that. Basically, if a sixth grader would laugh, I'm going to be giggling, too. 😁
Lol...speaking of husbands in the soaping area...let me tell you about my first attempt. I decided to use squeeze bottles to have more control over the wall pour, although I’ve since learned that that didn’t get me the best results. I took a ton of time prepping everything, weighing out in little cups, 7 different colors, then Transferring them to the bottles....all was going well until my husband comes in and decides to start Videotaping me. Not only does he start videotaping, but he decides to start commentating while putting on a silly British accent mimicking a professional golf commentator. He was saying the most ridiculous things and I was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face and my nose was running and I totally lost focus. Then, just as I was finished, the cardboard divider that I put in the center of my TS mold gave way and all the batter rushed underneath. To top it off, I was in my pjs with my hair thrown on top of my head in a whale spout. I tried to post the video so you could all get a good laugh (my horrendous appearance and all...that’s how much I love you all) but I cant seem to post it. Anyway...it was pretty funny. Maybe I’ll try again to get it on here at some point to give you all a good laugh. 😂😂😂
PS...I’m really happy that you are not burned and remain sighted. Got to love the PPE. 😁

Lol...speaking of husbands in the soaping area...let me tell you about my first attempt. I decided to use squeeze bottles to have more control over the wall pour, although I’ve since learned that that didn’t get me the best results. I took a ton of time prepping everything, weighing out in little cups, 7 different colors, then Transferring them to the bottles....all was going well until my husband comes in and decides to start Videotaping me. Not only does he start videotaping, but he decides to start commentating while putting on a silly British accent mimicking a professional golf commentator. He was saying the most ridiculous things and I was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face and my nose was running and I totally lost focus. Then, just as I was finished, the cardboard divider that I put in the center of my TS mold gave way and all the batter rushed underneath. To top it off, I was in my pjs with my hair thrown on top of my head in a whale spout. I tried to post the video so you could all get a good laugh (my horrendous appearance and all...that’s how much I love you all) but I cant seem to post it. Anyway...it was pretty funny. Maybe I’ll try again to get it on here at some point to give you all a good laugh. 😂😂😂
PS...I’m really happy that you are not burned and remain sighted. Got to love the PPE. 😁
Oh I would of loved to see that Video' sounds like it was funny.

I made soap this morning with lye water (added salt and sugar and sodium citrate) that had been sitting about 20 hours in my 58F basement. It was crusty and thick opaque goop but I used it! The soap set up quickly so there went my planned swirl. But my main issue is.... I NEED MORE MOLDS! My single 1-lb tester just isn't cutting it when I have SO MANY test soaps to make! 😂😂

I really need to see that video! I wish we could post clips on here. That’s so funny! My hubs comes down occasionally and takes a photo for me. It’s bound to make me mess up! But, I have to shoo him away pretty quick.

I’ve got two more batches prepped for some magickal poops and I can’t decide between Fairy, Unicorn, of Elf. I’ve got one batch of each so far.

Please, I need this video in my life! 😅😂

Unmolded Try #2... aaaand it was shreddy-confetti time. I accidentally used 394g of lye solution instead of 349g. The extra water caused the soap to overheat, crack, and develop a thick coat of ash. The extra lye made it quite crumbly.

Plus, so much soap batter got between the mold liner and the wood that I had to use a thin knife to separate the liner from the mold. In the process, I cut a small nick in my precious thick almost new Nurture liner.
Tantrum giph.jpeg

Unmolded Try #2... aaaand it was shreddy-confetti time. I accidentally used 394g of lye solution instead of 349g. The extra water caused the soap to overheat, crack, and develop a thick coat of ash. The extra lye made it quite crumbly.

Plus, so much soap batter got between the mold liner and the wood that I had to use a thin knife to separate the liner from the mold. In the process, I cut a small nick in my precious thick almost new Nurture liner.
View attachment 50756
Noooooooooooo! Not your Nurture mold! Im crying with you! 😱 I used mine for the first time for this challenge also. I did not get the liner originally but Just ordered it a couple days ago. My mold got so stained with oil attempting this challenge with wax paper lining it. It looks awful so I can relate. Those molds are my babies. Lol

Noooooooooooo! Not your Nurture mold! Im crying with you! 😱
@Jersey Girl thank you! The sympathy helps ease the sting. 💚 ETA: that's a great idea about the paper lining for situations involving wall pours. I'm going to copy you!

I should clarify that the nick is on the top edge and won't affect much... but to me, it's worse than a dent in a new car.

Soap-mates, please assure me that this is normal and that I don't need to schedule a mental health evaluation for taking this a wee bit too seriously. 😄

Last edited:
Ok...time for some soapy humor. Here’s the video my husband randomly started taking while I was attempting my first Tall Skinny Shimmy for the challenge. I can’t believe I’m posting this as I’m looking pretty rough with my pjs, dollar store readers and hair thrown up last minute, but I thought you would get a kick out of it. Be sure to unmute because the commentary and my uncontrollable cackling is what makes it. 😂
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0PDHvs39qmj7M4SPeMVMaVwWw#Brick
@Jersey Girl thank you! The sympathy helps ease the sting. 💚

I should clarify that the nick is on the top edge and won't affect much... but to me, it's worse than a dent in a new car.

Soap-mates, please assure me that this is normal and that I don't need to schedule a mental health evaluation for taking this a wee bit too seriously. 😄
Totally normal

Totally normal
I knew I could count on you! 😘

Ok...time for some soapy humor. Here’s the video my husband randomly started taking while I was attempting my first Tall Skinny Shimmy for the challenge. I can’t believe I’m posting this as I’m looking pretty rough with my pjs, dollar store readers and hair thrown up last minute, but I thought you would get a kick out of it. Be sure to unmute because the commentary and my uncontrollable cackling is what makes it. 😂
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0PDHvs39qmj7M4SPeMVMaVwWw#Brick
Totally worth the watch - thank you!!!😂🤣

@Jersey Girl thank you! The sympathy helps ease the sting. 💚 ETA: that's a great idea about the paper lining for situations involving wall pours. I'm going to copy you!

[/QUOTE

I have not done much actual soapy things of late, I did make a soap on Saturday, but have mostly spent my time editing the gazillion and one soap videos I've done in the last year and trying to get them published to YT. So far I'm scheduled out at one video a week into December. I'm hoping to have all the videos and edited and uploaded/scheduled by the end of this coming weekend. Once I forced myself to do the editing, made notes so I would remember HOW to do the editing, and then just do it, it's not the monster task I once thought it was. I think it also helped that I adjusted my video expectations to what I can easily manage in the video editor, and the type of content that I watch. So unlike my past videos, you don't have to put up with my yammering, they're in speedup mode, and edited to show the good stuff. Most of the videos are about 3-4 minutes long, which is about all the time [ahem, attention span] that I have to watch a video. I'm quite pleased with how things are turning out.

So once I'm done catching up on the video queue, I'll get back to work making soap. I have Friday off work, but I also have 21 jars of sugar scrub to make for a custom order, and I want to play with wax melts.

I have not done much actual soapy things of late, I did make a soap on Saturday, but have mostly spent my time editing the gazillion and one soap videos I've done in the last year and trying to get them published to YT. So far I'm scheduled out at one video a week into December. I'm hoping to have all the videos and edited and uploaded/scheduled by the end of this coming weekend. Once I forced myself to do the editing, made notes so I would remember HOW to do the editing, and then just do it, it's not the monster task I once thought it was. I think it also helped that I adjusted my video expectations to what I can easily manage in the video editor, and the type of content that I watch. So unlike my past videos, you don't have to put up with my yammering, they're in speedup mode, and edited to show the good stuff. Most of the videos are about 3-4 minutes long, which is about all the time [ahem, attention span] that I have to watch a video. I'm quite pleased with how things are turning out.

So once I'm done catching up on the video queue, I'll get back to work making soap. I have Friday off work, but I also have 21 jars of sugar scrub to make for a custom order, and I want to play with wax melts.
Ooh! What's your YT handle?

Back