What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I had to go to Ace hardware for lye. I’ve never bought it at a store... always ordered online. I got worried because I couldn’t find it, then asked and it was behind the counter & he looked at me funny when I said I needed 4 of them... I promised him I wasn’t making illegal drugs! Then I panicked when she rang em up and said $55. Online it said $3.59... so I got 4 lbs of lye for $15! Score! I also finished up a couple slab molds I built and un-molded my tooth soap <— can’t wait to use it!!! I also got my big ole pizza cutter today to cut my slabs of soap when I’m brave enough to make em!
B0CDE17C-D3AB-4D33-9BEA-01E1D83AB41D.jpeg

Thank goodness the “liquid tallow” is almost gone. It definitely affected my pull through soaps. It was super slow moving! So if you want that quality, essential depot for tallow.
the column on the right I did at my usual speed. I’m hoping it doesn’t look like mush.
the column on the left I made myself go to the bathroom and get a drink of water after I’d gotten my batter into my squeeze bottle. It went agains every fiber of my being, but it did work better. We’ll see soon!
Packaging orders for the PO. @msunnerstood this island is my part time shipping area. The whole place needs some things, but it’s getting there. I feel ya on the tired feet!!!

Attachments

• FEA50AEB-6748-4DF6-ABDB-756E7EC15A61.jpeg
    FEA50AEB-6748-4DF6-ABDB-756E7EC15A61.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 6962A77A-BE9C-4FB5-AB20-5ED07826AEA6.jpeg
    6962A77A-BE9C-4FB5-AB20-5ED07826AEA6.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 14
Well at least they didn’t turn brown. The super fluid batter caused the asymmetry and some blurring, but they’re still pretty.
The second ones where I let the batter sit awhile did better.
oh I can’t wait until my old faithful big bucket of tallow arrives!!!
Elf poops are pretty darn cute too! Again though, this brand of tallow is making everything WAY too soft! So I managed to wrangle these out of the mold, but I threw the other mold in the freezer.

Attachments

• 42704A59-281F-42D1-98C9-A969A22F18E7.jpeg
    42704A59-281F-42D1-98C9-A969A22F18E7.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
  • D8F2577B-0231-4D9F-89CB-372BFEA7BDA3.jpeg
    D8F2577B-0231-4D9F-89CB-372BFEA7BDA3.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 9
  • B4618E29-0E96-47D7-A04E-6C27E49BB52E.jpeg
    B4618E29-0E96-47D7-A04E-6C27E49BB52E.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 6
  • 0C4AD646-D63C-4DF1-A7F2-EB5F5BBE8C7C.jpeg
    0C4AD646-D63C-4DF1-A7F2-EB5F5BBE8C7C.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 6
  • D92707D5-B1B5-4932-990D-BF742CF0A557.jpeg
    D92707D5-B1B5-4932-990D-BF742CF0A557.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 91987E99-8EE0-4DC4-B777-B902D11F9DE5.jpeg
    91987E99-8EE0-4DC4-B777-B902D11F9DE5.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 12
And here in the cut of "Reindeer Games"

View attachment 50711
Wow! Fabulous, very edible looking.

Well at least they didn’t turn brown. The super fluid batter caused the asymmetry and some blurring, but they’re still pretty.
The second ones where I let the batter sit awhile did better.
oh I can’t wait until my old faithful big bucket of tallow arrives!!!
Elf poops are pretty darn cute too! Again though, this brand of tallow is making everything WAY too soft! So I managed to wrangle these out of the mold, but I threw the other mold in the freezer.
Gorgeous!

Thanks Zing!! Yes, brown squirrels. Actually used rose clay but they kind of look like soft brown lol. I’m going to try maybe a little more of the rose to see it makes a difference with the next batch . Some of my grandkids have squirrels in the yard they watch so I thought they might like ! Took another picture so you could see. Not the best lighting.
So cute and gorgeous.

Lookie what I gots meeself!
View attachment 50685
It was posted in one of those second hand apps (where I previously got my bigger cooker, my molds and some other stuff) and it's still in excellent condition. And the seller lives near my cousin so he picked it up on his way here.

Now I can make smaller batches and my SB will still sink in, and I can make min. 3 colors simultaneously for one batch of soap that's bigger than my current batch. So happy!

No other soapy thing other than to make lotion bars for an order.....

Speaking of lotion bars, I stumbled upon this
View attachment 50686
It's my reseller! She just posted a couple of days ago and sold 12, and all with 5 stars! This is a local app very similar to amazon... I'm so happy!
Congratulations!! Beautiful!

I made these salt soaps today. Tipped with an alkanet infusion.
Gorgeous, so sophisticated looking.... I love that mould

I am still in creative mode! I wish I would just concentrate on bettering my soap making LOL! I have just made these and have a couple of more ideas for this shape. Don'tcha luv soaping! They are Christmas Puddings, and Peppermint Crisp & Belgium Chocolate Puddings.

Attachments

• PUDDINGS.jpg
    PUDDINGS.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 23
For the first time ever, we're bathing with soap made by ourselves! This is a remarkable milestone! Simply unforgettable.

Congratulations! Got pictures?

Thank goodness the “liquid tallow” is almost gone. It definitely affected my pull through soaps. It was super slow moving! So if you want that quality, essential depot for tallow.
the column on the right I did at my usual speed. I’m hoping it doesn’t look like mush.
the column on the left I made myself go to the bathroom and get a drink of water after I’d gotten my batter into my squeeze bottle. It went agains every fiber of my being, but it did work better. We’ll see soon!
Packaging orders for the PO. @msunnerstood this island is my part time shipping area. The whole place needs some things, but it’s getting there. I feel ya on the tired feet!!!

How difficult is the pull through technique?

Didn't make soap. It's bed weather today (not that I got to stay in bed with this toddler around lol), and my arm hurts.

But I'm testing different packaging for an international custom order (cousin's sister in law based in Dubai) and this tester goes to another cousin here. I changed my lotion bar recipe a bit and I want to see if she can tell.

And since its my cousin and just a tester, I doodled. Brings me back to high school. I used to doodle random tattoos all over my arms in between classes lol
View attachment 50717
that looks awesome 😉🤗

How difficult is the pull through technique?
It’s quite a bit of set up, but I just followed the directions that came with my tools, and from the videos I watched on YouTube. I’ve had pretty good luck so far. A few weird ones where I did some experiments. I find a good assembly line very soothing. So, this technique has been great for me in these stressful times. But, it’s not that hard.

I need to be more aggressive with my In the Poop Swirl. I poured each color into the poops and then swirled with a skewer. I was worried I’d over do it, but it barely swirled.

Attachments

• CAB098F0-2BA6-41C0-B75F-DBD96FE17B4C.jpeg
    CAB098F0-2BA6-41C0-B75F-DBD96FE17B4C.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 10
  • F740D94E-A5C2-4223-8947-B0F652D7DD3C.jpeg
    F740D94E-A5C2-4223-8947-B0F652D7DD3C.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It's not exactly soapy but I made my first ever whipped body butter to test out.
I let my little girls choose the fragrance and they chose 'Pumpkin Chai' and its a good thing too because it covered up some of the nutty smell from the unrefined shea. Eh the smell is...not too terrible lol.

You do mean pictures of the SOAP (not the BATHING) right?? o_O :nonono::tub:

Well this is a SOAP forum right? I congratulated him on his first soap - not his first bath! (But that's an active imagination you have!)

You want pictures of them bathing?? ;)

It's been a slow day - and hey - there's towels in Africa too. :rolling:

Seriously you jaded people; let's focus on our priorities - SOAP!

Poured my second try at the SMF challenge. Totally different than the first one, which was quiet, calm, and almost zen-like. This time I did almost every stupid thing one can do while soaping, except I was wearing PPE, THANKFULLY or else I'd be burned and blind.

Let's skip the details and summarize by saying there were lye-coated utensils and dishes in various spots around the kitchen, along with a husband trying to be helpful and not realizing that he shouldn't touch stuff. And in the frenzy of it all, I think I missed the wall when pouring a few of the colors, so it's probably going to be a drop swirl, not a shimmy. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett.

ETA: @lenarenee thanks for the giggles. Some of us are immature like that. Ok, I'M immature like that. Basically, if a sixth grader would laugh, I'm going to be giggling, too. 😁

Back