What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some costing......

Checked out the competition.. Some of their prices make me wanna cry. How do they get their prices so cheap?? Ehem.. Affordable... And they're selling so much!

Doing that, I discovered another peeve - calling soap organic, but using micas and fragrance oils. I don't use those and I'm still not calling my stuff organic.

Yknow what.... I think I'm just PMSing. Lol

I cut a batch of Zany's No Slime Castile this morning. I love this recipe, thanks @Zany_in_CO !! I also tried a hanger swirl for the first time. Not exactly a butterfly, but I think it turned out well. I fragranced with Nurture's Cedarwood and Sage.

@AliOop I am still on the fence regarding my new soaping work space. Two important things that I'm not happy with - lighting and the height of my table. It's hard to see when I reach emulsion b/c the lighting is horrible for that, so gotta figure that out. The folding table I'm on right now was made to be used from sitting position, so is a little short (which I don't get to say often cause I'm a short girl)
Very Nice' Love your colors.

I cut a batch of Zany's No Slime Castile this morning. I love this recipe, thanks @Zany_in_CO !!
You're welcome!!! Lovely soaps you have there.
10 10 10.gif

This story explains two things: why we've been together for 26 years and that my "soapy stuff" for today will be to clean my new soaping cabinet and move my "stuff" from a mishmash of containers into my new piece of soaping furniture.
Kids get bedtime stories. I'm grateful for soapy stuff stories and the people who take time to tell them.
Thanks.gif

I made some brine soap today. Looked like chocolate cake batter going in the molds. I’m curious to see how the scent mellows out. It’s Death by Chocolate, but it smelled like chocolate liqueur in the soap batter. I won’t be mad if it stays like that. Probably going to be my last batch of soap for a while, until it’s all cured and I can see what recipes I like best.

Rough day work-wise, good day order wise so I'll be making some stuff this weekend and wrapping soap(my least favorite soapy thing)

Did some costing......

Checked out the competition.. Some of their prices make me wanna cry. How do they get their prices so cheap?? Ehem.. Affordable... And they're selling so much!

Doing that, I discovered another peeve - calling soap organic, but using micas and fragrance oils. I don't use those and I'm still not calling my stuff organic.

Yknow what.... I think I'm just PMSing. Lol
I am one of those people that scour for ways to cut costs and preserve quality. I will search for different or little known places to buy containers I print and cut my own labels, get tools from garage sales and packaging from the dollar store. Get oils that are readily available in my area and avoid the big soap supply sites when I can etc. my soap is priced a bit lower for my area but I want people who are on a budget to be able to treat themselves.. I don't sell a ton of soap (too shy for youtube) but I sell enough to make some extra money without being overwhelmed.

I dont call my soap organic though. :)

Rough day at work today (last few weeks actually) so I rewarded myself with an order at Nurture Soaps! I ordered another 4.5lb Tall Skinny Loaf mold (premium model... oh yeah baby!) and the following FO's: Earth Meets Sky, Lavender Chamomile, Afternoon Tea, Oatmeal, Milk & Honey, Peace & Love, Rose Geranium, and Orange Patchouli. I'm really interested to see if the Rose Geranium will be a close sub to the EO since it's one of my favorite EO's. Anyone try it?

I reallllly didn't need to spend all that money, but it's Friday and the wine made me do it! Thank God Paypal has an interest free option:nonono:

Took my soap out of the oven early so hubby can make his fabulous Pineapple Upside-Down Cake for my BIRTHDAY (tomorrow). I have my tea steeping and I'm already drooling! LOL

Edited to add the pic of the finished cake! He didn't want to be in the pic because he has hat hair, so I settled for a thumbs up - LOL.
Love that man, that man of mine!
FullSizeRender (35).jpg

Last edited:
I finally got all the parts together to make dishwashing soap, so I did it. 100% coconut, no fragrance or color. Poured into little bowls and accompanied by the best dish brush ever, Lola Brush. How long should I cure the dish soap? They gelled in their little bowls and have a bit of wax paper on top to keep clean.
IMG_0635.jpg

I finally got all the parts together to make dishwashing soap, so I did it. 100% coconut, no fragrance or color. Poured into little bowls and accompanied by the best dish brush ever, Lola Brush. How long should I cure the dish soap? They gelled in their little bowls and have a bit of wax paper on top to keep clean.

Love it and I agree on that brush! My brush is the same, but a different brand and I'll bet they're the exact same brush. I allow my dishwashing "blocks" to cure/dry for at least a month.

Rough day at work today (last few weeks actually) so I rewarded myself with an order at Nurture Soaps! I ordered another 4.5lb Tall Skinny Loaf mold (premium model... oh yeah baby!) and the following FO's: Earth Meets Sky, Lavender Chamomile, Afternoon Tea, Oatmeal, Milk & Honey, Peace & Love, Rose Geranium, and Orange Patchouli. I'm really interested to see if the Rose Geranium will be a close sub to the EO since it's one of my favorite EO's. Anyone try it?

I reallllly didn't need to spend all that money, but it's Friday and the wine made me do it! Thank God Paypal has an interest free option:nonono:
Yay good for you' love love shopping for soap supply's. 👍🏼🧼🤗

Took my soap out of the oven early so hubby can make his fabulous Pineapple Upside-Down Cake for my BIRTHDAY (tomorrow). I have my tea steeping and I'm already drooling! LOL

Edited to add the pic of the finished cake! He didn't want to be in the pic because he has hat hair, so I settled for a thumbs up - LOL.
Love that man, that man of mine!
View attachment 50624

Looks Yummy' Happy Birthday 🤗🎉🎂🍰

@Adobehead it is up to you whether you want to cure your dish-washing soap past the time that saponification is complete (wasn't sure whether you did HP or CP). The main reasons for curing are to make the bar milder on the skin, and to increase longevity due to water evaporation.

If you don't use dishwashing gloves, or if you usually get dish soap on your hands when using sponge, for instance, then letting it cure for a bit might be a good idea, or it will be very harsh on your hands. If you do use gloves, and don't care if the first batch dissolves a bit more quickly while the others are curing, then you really can use it right away. It's really your personal preference.

Last edited:
View attachment 50623
I found mine performed significant better after 4 weeks. You can use it sooner, but don't judge it's performance too harshly.

So far my soapy thing today...

i received my amazon order of two bottles of castor oil. Which may seem a bit ordinary. But since i already have a full 16oz bottle of castor oil sitting on my counter, and i have no recollection of ordering anything from amazon yesterday, let alone two of them when i didnt need any, I was either drunk or shopping in my sleep lol.

Wonder what else is coming today 🤣🤣
We call it “Amazonesia”.

Good for you! I love Nurture molds! Of the FOs you listed I have used 4
Earth Meets Sky...LOVE it. Do NOT judge it OOB. Smells terrible OOB. Magic in soap.
Orange Patchouli...Love it!
Afternoon Tea...Love it!
Oatmeal Milk & Honey...A little almondy but I like it.
Ive never tried Rose Geranium but would love to hear your thoughts once you soap with it!

I'm wrapping soap while waiting very impatiently for the mailman to arrive with my FO order. I have a custom chocolate soap cupcake order and I can't make them without the FO. I've made the embeds and have the sprinkles ready. I miss faster shipping times.

The nice surprise is that I had ordered just the chocolate scent from a different supplier after I heard FB got hit by Delta and assumed my order from them would be delayed. Its coming today too and my FO for my next Christmas Villian soap is in that order! Gonna be a very soapy weekend.

Good for you! I love Nurture molds! Of the FOs you listed I have used 4
Earth Meets Sky...LOVE it. Do NOT judge it OOB. Smells terrible OOB. Magic in soap.
Orange Patchouli...Love it!
Afternoon Tea...Love it!
Oatmeal Milk & Honey...A little almondy but I like it.
Ive never tried Rose Geranium but would love to hear your thoughts once you soap with it!
I LOVE the Afternoon Tea! And i just got Earth Meets Sky. OOB it smells like nag champa, havent soaped with it yet. I might try the challenge soap today, so i might use it for that. I am stumped on colors though lol.

I LOVE the Afternoon Tea! And i just got Earth Meets Sky. OOB it smells like nag champa, havent soaped with it yet. I might try the challenge soap today, so i might use it for that. I am stumped on colors though lol.
I used blues and greens when I soaped with it last. I wouldn’t use it in a challenge soap though. It’s too expensive and special and if you end up not liking the outcome and shredding it you will lose the scent. I’ve learned to be very conservative with scents for challenges. Lol.

Back