What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww, those soaps look cute! What went wrong?

FYI, and forgive me if you already know this, but your rebatching will go a lot more quickly if you grate the soaps first, or at least chop them into smaller chunks. My first rebatch took all day to melt down because I didn't know to do that.
Thank you! I did end up chopping them into much smaller pieces. I don't know what went wrong but they were super soft and had liquid leaking out the middle. I suspect I did not get to trace and that I poured at emulsion...😜... They were my first attempt at a confetti soap! The rebatch came out okay, I obviously will not sell them.

Attachments

• 20201015_104749.jpg
    20201015_104749.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 17
Here they are again. I lub them! (But really, I have to put them away so I can make more soap.)
I lub seeing them again too! Just in awe with all the technique involved!
Here is the cut of my Ghost Swirl. It worked somewhat but I really should have watched the video on the feather swirl before attempting mine, which is not very good. I think I will do a different design next time and perhaps use a coloured clay or something very light. I'm still reasonably happy with the first effort.
l like the subtlety! What's the scent? This week I was challenged with my reverse feather swirl which was heavily documented everywhere on this forum. :) I learned a lot. A gear tie is better than a coat hanger. Also my failed soap was at emulsion and the contrast color ribbons were too narrow. My better soap was at medium trace and wider color ribbons. Next time I'll do thin trace. I'll stir and blend to emulsion, then split and add color/scent and then stir to thin trace.

I have a 5 week old trial soap that I was playing around with this evening. It's coming into it's own a bit and it's got an interesting combo of creamy lather and big bubbles, so I was considering recreating it with a few minor tweaks. Upon review, I noticed that the recipe was calculated for 2% citric acid, but that I had switched 2% sodium Glutamate at the last minute and forgot to recalculate. Fortunately, the recipe was calculated with a 5% SF, so the switch would have only dropped me to .5% SF. I also added additional avocado oil for my Micas, so with the amount I added for that, my SF was roughly 2%, and with my lye not calculated for purity, it's probably a little higher than that. I was thinking about dropping my SF amount for all my batches to the 2-3% range, but since I'm still experimenting maybe I should wait on that until I'm more experienced... Or more.. something.

Tadaaa! It'll lighten up considerably over the next few weeks. Zinc oxide for the lighter parts, the rest aren't colored, and unscented, as usual.

Edit: forgot the pic hahaha
View attachment 50585
Was almost too hard to cut barely 8hrs after
IMG_20201016_125135.jpg

Love this soap hehe.. Even if my TD clumped with the dry bits a little. I'll say it's part of the design lol

@GemstonePony I learned very early on upon joining this forum about the impurity of lye and lowering my cleansing factor, and also additional fat from coconut milk or whatever. I don't go beyond 2-3% SF for some time now, except for soleseife and salt bars :)

A few weeks back, friend had asked for more of a specific soap because it was the only one her husband could use that didn't make his hands crack. I provided her with more of what I thought was the same recipe (just different colors and scent. Tonight she told me that it wasn't working the same as the first bars I had given her.

Double-checked which recipe I'd used, and surprise, surprise. It was my usual lard-CO-castor-GM bar, except that I had subbed in 5% shea (subtracted from lard).

The funny thing is that I'd been using one of these same bars in the shower and thinking that there was something extra nice about it. Had my friend not asked, I would have gone on thinking it was just my imagination. It really does pay to keep good notes!

I love it too! Purr-Tee!
A few weeks back, friend had asked for more of a specific soap because it was the only one her husband could use that didn't make his hands crack.
I'll just put a plug in for lotion bars here as a man whose hands and fingers cracked every winter all winter long -- until I discovered the miracle of lotion bars! So fast and cheap to make and effective.

I love it too! Purr-Tee!

I'll just put a plug in for lotion bars here as a man whose hands and fingers cracked every winter all winter long -- until I discovered the miracle of lotion bars! So fast and cheap to make and effective.
Slight thread hijack- Zing, the few experiences I've had with lotion bars they were gummy or waxy. Is that typical? I've almost got my body butter where I want it, and my lip balm is basically perfect. It would be fun to formulate another product, and I keep hearing about lotion bars, but I'm not sure I want to go for it if sticky/waxy is the goal.
ETA: I'm going to start a new thread in bath and body about this in a few minutes instead.
ETA: no thread needed, going back further in the search results was what I needed. :)

Last edited:
Slight thread hijack- Zing, the few experiences I've had with lotion bars they were gummy or waxy. Is that typical? I've almost got my body butter where I want it, and my lip balm is basically perfect. It would be fun to formulate another product, and I keep hearing about lotion bars, but I'm not sure I want to go for it if sticky/waxy is the goal.
You'll get a lot more replies if you start a new thread. :nodding:

Funny enough, I was about to edit my post that I would've told myself to do that. I'm gonna gather a few more thoughts first.
You might want to do a Search first. Find the magnifying glass at the top right of this page. Enter "Lotion Bars". Tick "Title". This subject has been discussed many times. I would recommend the older threads... before 2017 when the forum was more active and had more members doing B & B products other than soap.

You might want to do a Search first. Find the magnifying glass at the top right of this page. Enter "Lotion Bars". Tick "Title". This subject has been discussed many times. I would recommend the older threads... before 2017 when the forum was more active and had more members doing B & B products other than soap.
I know how to use the search bar, just didn't know to go back further. Thanks for the tip!
ETA: that pretty much answered my question. Lotion bars are just body butter, and I can formulate them to feel however I want. *Scheming intensifies*

Last edited:
I cut a batch of Zany's No Slime Castile this morning. I love this recipe, thanks @Zany_in_CO !! I also tried a hanger swirl for the first time. Not exactly a butterfly, but I think it turned out well. I fragranced with Nurture's Cedarwood and Sage.

@AliOop I am still on the fence regarding my new soaping work space. Two important things that I'm not happy with - lighting and the height of my table. It's hard to see when I reach emulsion b/c the lighting is horrible for that, so gotta figure that out. The folding table I'm on right now was made to be used from sitting position, so is a little short (which I don't get to say often cause I'm a short girl)

Attachments

• 20201016_113147.jpg
    20201016_113147.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 29
@tommysgirl thanks for the update! Lighting isn’t good at all in my curing room, either, so I really appreciate the heads up so I can fix that first.

Whatever the challenges in your new space, clearly those haven’t affected your soaping mojo bc those bars look great!
Thank you! I appreciate that 🙂
I had to use the flashlight on my cellphone to see the oils on top of my batter, lol!

Whipped up a cute little confetti soap on the fly yesterday. It was fun to start and finish it all in one session!!! The confetti got hard a bit faster than the fresh batter. Cutting them made my wire cutter cry.

Attachments

• F84DF965-2867-4A47-9CB0-CB3553919038.jpeg
    F84DF965-2867-4A47-9CB0-CB3553919038.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 22
  • CB668682-FE40-4677-80B3-F46DA5CD5DDA.jpeg
    CB668682-FE40-4677-80B3-F46DA5CD5DDA.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
(I'm a writer/story teller so hang in there with me, folks) A few days ago my husband and I went on an adventure to purchase a used Ford F150 pickup truck. I want to start kayaking, and he wants to build a shed in the backyard, which means we will be hauling a lot of wood. Neither of us wanted a car payment and used cars where we live are more than we want to spend. He found a place an hour away that collects and sells government vehicles and discarded office furniture. The place we drove to is in the middle of nowhere and was basically a junk yard. While he managed the paperwork, I walked about the vast junkyard of discarded office furniture from various counties. Feeling a little like a mouse in a maze, I happened upon a collection of stuff is near-perfect shape, including a sizable steel cabinet. It's about 4' high, 2'deep, and almost 6' in length, four huge drawers with dividers.

I went back to the office and casually said, "I found a few interesting items." My husband has learned that when I use the word "interesting," it might be interesting to me, but usually suspect to everyone else, including him. For example, I think tarantulas, which inhabit our neighborhood and make an appearance in autumn to mate, are "interesting." Him? Not interesting. But I digress...

So this cabinet is easily 100 pounds. And seeing as it's been in the 90s lately, the thing was HOT to the touch. He took one look at it and said, "You can use it for your soap stuff!" Actually, he used a different word than "stuff." After we finished the paperwork for the truck, we asked if we could take the cabinet. The woman was thrilled to get rid of it and gave it to us for free. We drove the truck over to where the cabinet was, and, with some effort, got it into the truckbed of our newly acquired vehicle.

This story explains two things: why we've been together for 26 years and that my "soapy stuff" for today will be to clean my new soaping cabinet and move my "stuff" from a mishmash of containers into my new piece of soaping furniture.

:nodding:

Last edited:
So far my soapy thing today...

i received my amazon order of two bottles of castor oil. Which may seem a bit ordinary. But since i already have a full 16oz bottle of castor oil sitting on my counter, and i have no recollection of ordering anything from amazon yesterday, let alone two of them when i didnt need any, I was either drunk or shopping in my sleep lol.

Wonder what else is coming today 🤣🤣

I lub seeing them again too! Just in awe with all the technique involved!

l like the subtlety! What's the scent? This week I was challenged with my reverse feather swirl which was heavily documented everywhere on this forum. :) I learned a lot. A gear tie is better than a coat hanger. Also my failed soap was at emulsion and the contrast color ribbons were too narrow. My better soap was at medium trace and wider color ribbons. Next time I'll do thin trace. I'll stir and blend to emulsion, then split and add color/scent and then stir to thin trace.
I used a lemon FO

Yesterday I wrapped and labeled 3 batches of soap. My DH has been making the labels, and they’re super cute! Today I will wash the much dreaded mountain of dishes that I didn’t get to yesterday. I still haven’t put away my recent rain soap from their photo shoot. They’re too cute, and I love them, and I wish I could just look at them everyday. But, today they’ll go to hibernate.... or maybe tomorrow. Here they are again. I lub them! (But really, I have to put them away so I can make more soap.)
Beautiful' Oh My Goodness' 🤗🧼

Was almost too hard to cut barely 8hrs after
View attachment 50598
Love this soap hehe.. Even if my TD clumped with the dry bits a little. I'll say it's part of the design lol

@GemstonePony I learned very early on upon joining this forum about the impurity of lye and lowering my cleansing factor, and also additional fat from coconut milk or whatever. I don't go beyond 2-3% SF for some time now, except for soleseife and salt bars :)
Beautiful Soap 🧼👍🏼

Latest posts

Back