What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my first ever soap today!!! I'm in love with soap making! So... Should I reduce my water to get rid of the glycerin rivers ext time? I don't mind them, just wondering!

Attachments

• 20201001_093919.jpg
    20201001_093919.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201001_093856.jpg
    20201001_093856.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20201001_104449.jpg
    20201001_104449.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
I cut my first ever soap today!!! I'm in love with soap making! So... Should I reduce my water to get rid of the glycerin rivers ext time? I don't mind them, just wondering!
Glycerin rivers are purely a matter of aesthetics. I think those look awesome, and really add to the design! If you don't want them in your next design, try a 2:1 water: lye ratio, and once your soap has been poured either keep it from gelling or cool it off quickly after it gels. If you want glycerin rivers in the next one as well, there's no reason to change anything.

This happened before but I forgot. Usually it’s just colorful and pretty so it doesn’t matter. But this time I actually wanted green. It’s Christmas, not 4th of July.
Thank you! I think they’re pretty too. But they’re blue and red, not green and red.
I’d like to figure out what happened in the individual cavity mold Ba the column.
Election Day soap??? 🙃

I’m super bummed that my beautiful green from NS turned blue. It stayed green in the individual molds that I put the left over batter from my pull through in. Exact same recipe. What happened?! Not very Christmas-y. 😢
Edit: sorry. I should e started a thread probably.

Which green is it? Nurture Soap, right? I haven't had one of their lye stable green micas do that, but I don't have every mica in their inventory. Did you make sure you bought mica for CP soap? She does sell micas for other products, that are not lye stable.

I did find this thread re: Green Vibrance from Nurture Soap: Green mica turned brown
Some reviews on the site mention it morphs temporarily, but morphs back.

Maybe you are right, maybe you should start a separate thread.

Today I cut my xxxth wine soap. Trying to get the perfect color with red wine is hard. I have had some that looked like a butchers block. So far this colour is making me happy. Just have to wait a week to see if it morphs to brown like the top.
swirling technique is a work in progress. This one traced very quickly And was more blobbed than swirled.

Attachments

• BFF19DAF-5D9E-47EC-8138-0EFD45110026.jpeg
    BFF19DAF-5D9E-47EC-8138-0EFD45110026.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 5DD002C3-E804-451E-8881-8021A39811E7.jpeg
    5DD002C3-E804-451E-8881-8021A39811E7.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Today I cut my xxxth wine soap. Trying to get the perfect color with red wine is hard. I have had some that looked like a butchers block. So far this colour is making me happy. Just have to wait a week to see if it morphs to brown like the top.
swirling technique is a work in progress. This one traced very quickly And was more blobbed than swirled.
I use red wine in a soap and colour it with Merlot Mica; it's been very popular. (White wine soap is on the right.)20200807_184904.jpg

I made salt bars. They look like they are going to be lovely so far.

i made up my batch of lye, and while i was waiting for it to cool, i measured out my coconut oil. I was short, no matter how much i scraped out of the container. Soooo.... i had to recaluate and make a slightly smaller batch. I wasnt brave enough to calculate how much of my already made lye solution to use in the smaller batch lol. So that is sitting aside to wait for my pending coconut order.

I made a batch of soap today - a remake of one I've made before and for the first time since I started soaping, this loaf cracked big time! Hoping after it hardens that I can somehow repair it. Any suggestions? I cpop'd and when it reached temp I shut it off and when I put the loaf in the oven, my thought was it seemed warmer than normal and of course the oven was already off so no way to know for sure.

@SoapSisters I soap so I don’t have to think about that! 😆
@earlene Savage Garden, and I looked at other soaps that I done that were older, and they had also turned blue.

To me the mica and the soap on the NS site look teal to me, which is a visual mix of blue & green, so from what I see visually on the site in the sample soaps, I'd expect a bluish green.

But the ingredients of the micas indicates the mica will give shades of green & teal (chromium oxide); the TD included in the mix just lightens it a little (or a lot, depending on the percentage of TD to CO).

Your soap, however doesn't even look teal to me. It definitely looks heavy on the blue and no green except in the non-gelled heart. I am assuming it didn't gel being in an individual mold. - Did it gel or not gel?

I wonder if it's that simple - to gel or not to gel. Did any of the gelled soap retain or return to the green color? (I think you indicated not.) Of all the ones that retained the Green color, were they all NOT gelled?

Also I wonder about 2 things, which may not matter if the reason is gelling:

The base color of your raw batter and your usage rate (of the mica in the batter).

Anyway, doing test soaps with colorants might be something you should do, or the very least, make a note of your findings about this particular mica & label the jar so you don't forget.

I found this video on making test colorant soaps samples useful:

Although it's good idea to do two of each colorant so you can see the differenct in gelled vs not-gelled samples.

I made a little batch of soap! This one was made with my husband in mind. He’d mentioned liking soap with shea butter. It’s also my first try mixing the lye in something other than water; I used aloe juice this time. I also tried a new additive- bentonite clay. I love the soft green color it turned out. Hopefully it doesn’t change too much as it sets up.
CC555884-9314-4494-8D41-9B67CEEB1E1E.jpeg

I made salt bars. They look like they are going to be lovely so far.

i made up my batch of lye, and while i was waiting for it to cool, i measured out my coconut oil. I was short, no matter how much i scraped out of the container. Soooo.... i had to recaluate and make a slightly smaller batch. I wasnt brave enough to calculate how much of my already made lye solution to use in the smaller batch lol. So that is sitting aside to wait for my pending coconut order.
My coconut oil just arrived this afternoon🤩 I made my first solid dish soap 🧼 while I waited for it 🤩. When you want to make Soap you do what you have to do 😂🤪

Made, unmolded and cut my first batch of solid dish soaps today while I waited for more coconut oil to arrive
20201002_171716.jpg
. Wow did they get hard fast! What is the best cure length/ time for them?

To me the mica and the soap on the NS site look teal to me, which is a visual mix of blue & green, so from what I see visually on the site in the sample soaps, I'd expect a bluish green.

But the ingredients of the micas indicates the mica will give shades of green & teal (chromium oxide); the TD included in the mix just lightens it a little (or a lot, depending on the percentage of TD to CO).

Your soap, however doesn't even look teal to me. It definitely looks heavy on the blue and no green except in the non-gelled heart. I am assuming it didn't gel being in an individual mold. - Did it gel or not gel?

I wonder if it's that simple - to gel or not to gel. Did any of the gelled soap retain or return to the green color? (I think you indicated not.) Of all the ones that retained the Green color, were they all NOT gelled?

Also I wonder about 2 things, which may not matter if the reason is gelling:

The base color of your raw batter and your usage rate (of the mica in the batter).

Anyway, doing test soaps with colorants might be something you should do, or the very least, make a note of your findings about this particular mica & label the jar so you don't forget.

I found this video on making test colorant soaps samples useful:

Although it's good idea to do two of each colorant so you can see the differenct in gelled vs not-gelled samples.

I think the bottom of the hearts might have gelled because I put them on top of the bucket that’s wrapped in a heating pad where the columns are, then covered all with a blanket. The hearts were blue inside, and only real green on the surface. I’m going to make design today that I don’t care if it’s blue or green, using the same savage garden, but I’m going to add some yellow, and a little neon green. I’ve read in a NS thread on FB that this could anchor the green. Either way, it’ll be pretty in my not-Christmas soap. My batter is light, with a egg white color, I used 1 1/4t mica per .65lbs off soap. (If my math is right) I think this is about 1.5-1.75t PPO. ?

Today I cut my xxxth wine soap. Trying to get the perfect color with red wine is hard. I have had some that looked like a butchers block. So far this colour is making me happy.
Did you add any color to that or is that the wine color?

@The Park Bench I think since it's dish soap it doesn't need to get milder nor does it need to get much harder than it already is so it might not need a long cure. I was planning to cure mine maybe 2wks - that's if I remember to make em lol

I'm running out of lard! :(
My supplier is missing - can't find him anywhere and I'm super bummed so all I did that's related to soap these past few days is look for lard.

PSA don’t SUI! Soaping under the influence is never a good idea!!
It wasn’t a lot. I’d been cleaning a mountain of soap dishes, prepping for multiple batches, the hubs was playing some music, had just a couple of drinks. Was going to do all the prep today, and then the soap making tomorrow. Fun right?!! But I had fun new pull throughs plates! And, I wanted to experiment with that darned blue savage garden from NS to see if I could make it green. SOooooooo much prep! Then, it was just too tempting.
Went for it. Relatively... it went ok.
I added a bit of yellow and neon green to the savage garden from NS, I think it should have made an amazing green and gotten rid of the blue. But I accidentally added the mix to the portion of my batter that I’d already made WHITE!!! So... light green?! Then I had to put something in the other uncolored portion of batter so I threw a bit of AC in there. So, hopefully I can tell if that blend makes green. And hopefully the pull through makes the design I hope it will.

Attachments

• B0F62322-3C67-410E-97F6-D627CB28F16A.jpeg
    B0F62322-3C67-410E-97F6-D627CB28F16A.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back