What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used white mica today instead of TD. Not my darkest EO blend, but still had some citrus. It lightened it’s up quite a bit! And I could’ve used a little more. Still happy with how smooth and easy it worked!
also, my fairy/unicorn poops!🦄 💩🧚🏻
I'm going to get that same "poop" mold and make Reindeer Poop (from WSP) scented soaps for Christmas markets. People really liked my lump of coal soaps last year and I've already make some more of those and then I'll also add the 'poop' soaps.

Any suggestions for naming this soap - I've never been able to think of anything creative for this particular one... thanks!
@SPowers It's prolly best to start a new thread so others can play the name game. ;) That being said, I like that soap very much. It made me think of a "gentleman's soap" -- an elegant, suave, sophisticated gentleman with excellent understated taste. Thus, I would call it "Bond. James Bond" 😁

Those looks beautiful! I’ve yet to try a beer soap but it’s on the list!
I would like to try making a beer soap, do you have a favourite recipe to share.

Unmolded my ice cream soap that I made on Monday along with some cupcake soaps. Had to work late so wasn't able to get any other soaping in.
your ice cream soap sounds interesting , where did you buy your molds from

Today I am planning out what soaps to make for holiday gifts. I need to get organized because I have so many ideas in my head.
That's what I'm working on too. I have some nice gift boxes and I'm planning what to put in them. I think a goat's milk soap, a 4oz jar of bath salts, and a 4oz jar of goat's milk lotion. I also ordered some more packaging supplies like organza bags. They work great for odd shaped soaps (like the ones in my avatar. You can still see and smell them easily in the bags.

That's what I'm working on too. I have some nice gift boxes and I'm planning what to put in them. I think a goat's milk soap, a 4oz jar of bath salts, and a 4oz jar of goat's milk lotion. I also ordered some more packaging supplies like organza bags. They work great for odd shaped soaps (like the ones in my avatar. You can still see and smell them easily in the bags.
That sounds awesome. The organza bags are a good idea. I have a pretty flower mold that I plan to use and they are an odd size so the bags might be a better idea than a box. I also have some jars that I plan to put some sugar scrub in to go with the soap.
I want to try goats milk at some point but I’m just not sure if I’m up to it just yet.

@SPowers It's prolly best to start a new thread so others can play the name game. ;) That being said, I like that soap very much. It made me think of a "gentleman's soap" -- an elegant, suave, sophisticated gentleman with excellent understated taste. Thus, I would call it "Bond. James Bond" 😁

Love that idea! Thanks

I had a busy day today but not really soap related! Having said that, I made soap yesterday and I was trying a specific technique so I HAD to make some time to cut this puppy open. The colours are quite muted and almost what I was going for... wanted something that gave the impression of a poinsettia. I'll take better pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• Soap 48 - Pointsettia2.jpg
    Soap 48 - Pointsettia2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 23
I wanted to use my new oval molds, I wanted to make a triple butter soap, and I wanted to try a sunset ombre, so I did the math for doing all of that in the same batch this coming weekend... Yes, I know triple butter (15% each cocoa/ mango/Shea) will make it challenging to ombre. I'm also impatient to try a beer soap, but this would also be my first time using sorbitol, so I'll see how much courage/stupidity I've got on the day of. I also want to do some face soaps, so maybe I'll use beer for that instead.
I made my first batch of soap today!!! 5 lbs of Mountain Dew scented soap with a 3 color in the pot swirl! It was so much easier than I could have ever thought!!! I'll post more pictures when I cut it tomorrow!!! View attachment 50102View attachment 50103
That looks great! That feels like a lot of soap to me, but I love testing new ideas, so my largest batches are half that size, and most are either 1 or .25lb batches. I use less material and space per learning experience that way. I'm glad it came together super smoothly for you, and congratulations on your first batch!

I wanted to use my new oval molds, I wanted to make a triple butter soap, and I wanted to try a sunset ombre, so I did the math for doing all of that in the same batch this coming weekend... Yes, I know triple butter (15% each cocoa/ mango/Shea) will make it challenging to ombre. I'm also impatient to try a beer soap, but this would also be my first time using sorbitol, so I'll see how much courage/stupidity I've got on the day of. I also want to do some face soaps, so maybe I'll use beer for that instead.

That looks great! That feels like a lot of soap to me, but I love testing new ideas, so my largest batches are half that size, and most are either 1 or .25lb batches. I use less material and space per learning experience that way. I'm glad it came together super smoothly for you, and congratulations on your first batch!
Thank you! Yeah! I've always been an all-in kinda girl. If I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna go all in! I want to make a beer soap as well! I can't wait to experiment with the different liquids you can use in place of water.

Besides posting the challenge winners, and checking on my order for zinc oxide, nothing.

Yesterday I stood on my feet for 4 hours without a break, which usually only makes my back hurt badly, but caused such intense pain in my arthritic hip that even today it was difficult standing. I was making chili rellenos, soup stock & other culinary delights, which of course turned out fabulous, but I paid the price in pain all the rest of the day and today. (Tomorrow? as yet unknown).

In the afternoon, I said to myself, there is no way I can make soap in this kind of pain, and I wondered how many days I was going to be suffering the aftermath. Next time, I will remind myself to take frequent breaks to prevent this kind of pain.

Thank you! Yeah! I've always been an all-in kinda girl. If I'm gonna do something, I'm gonna go all in! I want to make a beer soap as well! I can't wait to experiment with the different liquids you can use in place of water.
I'm the same way! Aloe Vera Juice is my go to, and I freeze it into cubes. I've recently been playing with half hard apple cider half AVJ, and it turns out if you let hard cider simmer for forever and get all the alcohol out of it, it doesn't accelerate your trace much. So I want to see if the same is true of beer. I should caution that the higher the sugar or acid in the liquid, the more important it is to add the lye to it very slowly and stir as you go to avoid a lye volcano.

Cleaning these up a bit.. The first of Christmas soaps :)
IMG_20201001_141630.jpg

It didn't get much ash to begin with and I like them there, but I planed off some bumps so they'll lay flat.

Used oxides this time... I'm still putting them in the "natural" category coz I want to. Lol

Latest posts

Back