What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Non soap related. This is my other hobby.
AACB43A8-E1FE-41F5-8020-9243183B7850_1_105_c.jpeg

My hardware store is out of my usual lye brand. They only have this kind. Has anyone used it? Doesn’t say on the bottle what the other 1% is.

Attachments

• C45C0A4B-469B-4D1B-983C-08157EBC432C.jpeg
    C45C0A4B-469B-4D1B-983C-08157EBC432C.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 21
No lye is 100% pure. The moment it is exposed to air, it starts to loose purity.

The ingredients list on their SDS sheet reads: 99.9% sodium hydroxide. (I looked on their website.)

I have not personally used that brand, but I have purchased and used solid lye (crystals or beads) from Tractor Supply Company (TSC), ACE Hardware & other similar stores several times over the years. As long as sodium hydroxide is the only ingredient listed, it's good to use in soap. It always turns out fine. I don't always find the same brands.

No lye is 100% pure. The moment it is exposed to air, it starts to loose purity.

The ingredients list on their SDS sheet reads: 99.9% sodium hydroxide. (I looked on their website.)

I have not personally used that brand, but I have purchased and used solid lye (crystals or beads) from Tractor Supply Company (TSC), ACE Hardware & other similar stores several times over the years. As long as sodium hydroxide is the only ingredient listed, it's good to use in soap. It always turns out fine. I don't always find the same brands.
Thank you!

You photos skills are pretty great! Im like dish towl, plop a pineapple in front of it and send to my sister to clean up lol. She loves when i do that lol. These are pre-Julie, post-Julie lol

My daughter is a graphic designer and she's giving me a ton of help with labels, website, etc. She's done some photos too but I hate taking away from her own 'home' business. I have a fixed income - she does not so I feel guilty sometimes. Your soaps look great btw.

Cut the test batches from yesterday and they turned out ok. The FO (vanilla buttercream) is going to turn them ugly brown (can already tell on the sides), but the layers turned out ok.
AE51ACDB-EB39-45A8-81FB-82ED629C33A0.jpeg

I was going to make soap today but decided against it. Instead I took some photos of my soap... some are ok, some are better. I have to hone this skill.
They are beautifu!

I like the pattern you got going there. Was it a in the pot swirl?
Thanks so much! Yes, with different heights.

Well, I am pretty sure someone will be laughing up their sleeve at this photo, but hey. I am given to subtlety or something like that. Maybe dullness. This is my first try with the "kaleidasoap" idea. The tool I made has been hanging there for months waiting.

I only divided my batter in two parts and just added some TD to half, very low contrast. So, I think this looks like a sand dollar and I can't wait for the cure to see how it ends. It is colored with TD and Rhubarb Root infused olive oil and not much of that, I had hoped for a lighter pink. This rhubarb is powerful stuff.
I am calling this formula "hocky puck" it has 10% cocoa butter and 15% shea butter. It lathers like crazy and is hard as the name implies.

The EO's are Geranium with a touch of lavender and about 30% bergamot.

IMG_0034.jpg

Well, I am pretty sure someone will be laughing up their sleeve at this photo, but hey. I am given to subtlety or something like that. Maybe dullness. This is my first try with the "kaleidasoap" idea. The tool I made has been hanging there for months waiting.

I only divided my batter in two parts and just added some TD to half, very low contrast. So, I think this looks like a sand dollar and I can't wait for the cure to see how it ends. It is colored with TD and Rhubarb Root infused olive oil and not much of that, I had hoped for a lighter pink. This rhubarb is powerful stuff.
I am calling this formula "hocky puck" it has 10% cocoa butter and 15% shea butter. It lathers like crazy and is hard as the name implies.

View attachment 50008

What is there to laugh about??!! This is in. cred. i. ble.! I love ghost swirls, simple elegance. And it really does look like a sand dollar. Great job! I'm a big fan of bergamot. I've never heard of rhubarb root infused oil -- my experience with rhubarb is in cake and pie and jam. :)

I soaped today! I did a gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And again I got to emulsion with conservative stick-blending. I am not bragging, I'm just surprised that my batter looks like the pros on YouTube! Everything is tucked in and resting for the night. Sweet dreams (you, too, @KiwiMoose).

I soaped today! I did a gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And again I got to emulsion with conservative stick-blending. I am not bragging, I'm just surprised that my batter looks like the pros on YouTube! Everything is tucked in and resting for the night. Sweet dreams (you, too, @KiwiMoose).
I had just the opposite today. I tried a recipe given to me by a friend who used to make soap. Just a couple of blasts with the stick blender and it was at trace. While pouring it, it got so thick that after the first two cavities, it was almost solid. I suppose that's what I get by making a soap with oatmeal, buttermilk, honey, and beeswax. It will be a prime candidate for rebatching, for sure!

I had just the opposite today. I tried a recipe given to me by a friend who used to make soap. Just a couple of blasts with the stick blender and it was at trace. While pouring it, it got so thick that after the first two cavities, it was almost solid. I suppose that's what I get by making a soap with oatmeal, buttermilk, honey, and beeswax. It will be a prime candidate for rebatching, for sure!
Yikes-kers! But with your talents, I'm sure you'll create something good regardless!

I finally made a soaping station in my unfinished basement. I got tired of worrying about the dog possibly walking on a random lye bead in the kitchen, and also if I happen to drop the lye there is only the concrete floor to be damaged down there!
View attachment 50009
Love it and I'm glad your puppers is safe! I too am lovin' my soap station in my unfinished basement! My motivation was to not wreck my brand new kitchen -- plus I got attached to my hardy hot plate that I used during the 6 months of kitchen remodeling. I keep the dog and cat out -- and who cares about the concrete floor?!

View attachment 50008
Nobody here will ever laugh at your soap

Just got done piping my first soap in the Christmas villain series Im working on. Had a few issues with the red heart embed. I think it changed colors 3-4 times and landed on an orangy reddish-pink.. uggh then the piping was not quite firm enough. hoping it all comes together once its cut.

I’ve been soooo busy. But I’ve wanted to make this soap for weeks. Made a batch of red/white peppermint layered soap and made soap curls from that. Topped a batch of chocolate soap with the curls. Smells so dang yummy. It was a LOT of work but definitely worth the effort.

Attachments

• 505BFEE2-FCA6-441D-8528-2AF5CADA2536.jpeg
    505BFEE2-FCA6-441D-8528-2AF5CADA2536.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
I’ve been soooo busy. But I’ve wanted to make this soap for weeks. Made a batch of red/white peppermint layered soap and made soap curls from that. Topped a batch of chocolate soap with the curls. Smells so dang yummy. It was a LOT of work but definitely worth the effort.
Where do you live?! I'm coming over to eat it! 😁

Back